Auto-Rotation or 180 degree Rotation

Discussion in 'HP TouchSmart TM2 (Wacom)' started by Meatlocker, Jan 26, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Meatlocker

Meatlocker Software Development Pro

Whelp, I am having my first issue and am connected to HP Support Chat.

My screen will not auto-rotate, nor will it obey my rotation settings in the Tablet Orientation settings. No matter what, the rotation always follows the default pattern. I tried downloading and reinstalling the Quick Launch Buttons driver...no luck.

I see that a number of people had this issue on the TX, and a hack was done which involved replacing a dll with an older one. That would suck if I needed to hack a brand new machine to get this to work properly.

2. JacksonVinyl

JacksonVinyl Pen Pal - Newbie

Anyone else having this problem or know of a fix?

Also, when I switch to tablet mode, is there a quick and easy way to adjust volume and screen brightness?

3. Meatlocker

My case has been escalated to 'Case Management Status', which is apparently the highest level of tech support available. I am supposed to be getting a call in the next 24 hours. Once I have a solution (or not), I will post the results.

***EDIT***
    I just got the call - "HP is aware of some of these issues and does not have a fix at this time." Not good.

4. DRTigerlilly

DRTigerlilly Tablet Lead Mod (Retired) Super Moderator

@Meatlocker did you modify anything via msconfig, or use one of those programs that's supposed to clean your pc of bloatware?

5. bozo8787

bozo8787 Pen Pal - Newbie

My understanding is that it's not going to auto rotate like the iPhone/iPod/iPad will (unless of course they add some update later on)

Here's the fix:

Look at the right hand side of your screen, there's a small rectangular button with two arrows forming a circle. Press it and it will rotate.

In other words at the present time the so called auto-rotate is really manual-rotate (again until further notice).

Well, that is the correct TM2 phone #, the issue is that now that is has been made public many peeps are calling it. And, when all touchsmart tx1000, tx2 and tm2 techs are all tied up helping others, those other callers get rerouted somewhere else that has no clue whats going on and you will be transfer 11 or more times.

In conclusion, call that number in non-peak US hours and you will see you get through instantly. I got thru 3 times in a row all withing several minutes. Of course that b4 I posted on this and other thread that is averaging over 2,000 different views a day.

1. Onenote 2010 is in beta and is buggy. Further, I have not tested thoroughly. Plus, being first time tablet owner I could not give feedback as others that have had the tx2 and beyond.

2.Don't know actual battery yet. Also, the alleged batt life was based on not running wifi.

3.Very secure, tx2 issue fixed.

4. Bumptop is laggy but not cause of the tm2 hardware, is software related.
    They could use some of Apple's know how on this. It's behind on the iphone by a bit.

Last, someone mentioned that they lost their wifi.

Same happened here. Fix:

Look at your power off/on button. Next to it there's a WiFi button as well.

I'm assuming they did that to give the user a chance to safe on battery while not online. Again, all battery claims were made without having wifi running.

Last edited by a moderator: May 16, 2015
  6. Meatlocker

This is incorrect. It is supposed to rotate into portrait mode when turned to tablet, automatically. It was an issue with some TX users as well, and is a driver issue. It comes out of tablet mode automatically. Additionally, the 'button' solution, while fine for you, is unsatisfactory for those of us that need to switch in and out of tablet/notebook quickly, especially since part of the problem is that the orientation settings for the button are not being obeyed (what position to go first, second, third, etc).

Please don't minimize this issue. It is a big deal for some of us, and your 'fix' is really not a fix at all.

Last edited by a moderator: May 16, 2015
  7. bozo8787

bozo8787 Pen Pal - Newbie

Nice!

Stick around we need members like you to bring the clarity that the current non-existenj tm2 techs, since they are AWOL.

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  8. Meatlocker

I did use msconfig, but not for any of the HP-related stuff. I have confirmation from HP that this is indeed a bug, with no ETA for a fix.

9. doublea

doublea Pen Pal - Newbie

I did a clean install with Windows 7 Professional (from the Windows 7 Home Premium that came with the laptop).

For auto-rotation:

If you grab the MVSCActn.dll from earlier versions of the HP Quick Launch Buttons installations (for instance, version 6.40.12.2 L from this SoftPaq or version 6.3.5.1 from this direct download) and replace the new version in the Program Files (x86)\Hewlett-Packard\HP Quick Launch Buttons folder, you can get the screen to auto-rotate 90 degrees clockwise. Personally, I preferred the 180 degree auto-rotation of the tx2z because it didn't interrupt games like Microsoft Blackboard, Crayon Physics, or the TouchSmart software. If anyone knows which version of MVSCActn.dll (or which HP Quick Launch Buttons SoftPaq it belonged to) had 180 degree auto-rotation, let me know.

For those of you who install from a SoftPaq, you have to uninstall any version of the HP Quick Launch Buttons you have installed, install the one from the SoftPaq, copy the MVSCActn.dll file to somewhere else, uninstall the HP Quick Launch Buttons older version you just installed, reinstall the latest version, and then replace the MVSCActn.dll file with the one you copied. There may be a simpler way, but this way has always worked for me.

10. Meatlocker

Dude, you have been REPPED! That is what I am talking about! It worked GREAT - thanks for a real solution.