Audio output is only one channel

Discussion in 'EP121 Slate' started by ginger_ninja, Mar 25, 2012.

1. ginger_ninja

ginger_ninja Pen Pal - Newbie

I have the up-to-date driver from here but my audio still only outputs the left channel from the 3.5mm jack to both external speakers and headphones. Internal speakers are fine.

I've never dropped it or done anything to damage the port. The only reason I just noticed now is because this has recently become my primary computer. I used to use an old Lenovo for music and video.

2. CF77

CF77 Love Tablet. Senior Member

3. ginger_ninja

Well, damn. I guess I could send it in again and ask for it to be fixed, but I've already done that once for screen yellowing and I'd feel bad to send it in again. :/

I wonder if this could be fixed at all by opening the thing up? I'll have to take a look when I get the time.

4. Steve S

Steve S Scribbler - Standard Member Super Moderator

<<...my audio still only outputs the left channel from the 3.5mm jack...>>

ginger: Can you feel the audio plug "click" home as it is fully inserted? If so, it's likely not a mechanical connector problem (jack mounted too far in...)

5. ginger_ninja

There is a sort of satisfying click, but in my opinion it feels kind of half-assed. Compared to the jack on my iPod, it's like it's almost in there, but not quite. I'm sure it's a hardware issue, since the end of the jack seems to be a bit off from the frame of the tablet. Pics when I can.

6. ginger_ninja

http://i.imgur.com/ZeEnU.jpg

I come bearing pics. The one here, just below the USB port you can see out of the hole in the aluminum made for the headphone port. There is a space between the aluminum border and the actual audio-out jack unit or a few mm. Hopefully this is a good explanation.

Now, moving on to fixes. I've heard people say that when their iPhones have this problem, putting a little bit of tinfoil into the jack fixes it. Obviously I'm a bit nervous to try this...

7. Steve S

Steve S Scribbler - Standard Member Super Moderator

<<...I've heard...that when...iPhones have this problem, putting a little bit of tinfoil into the jack fixes it...>>

...And if they then jumped off a bridge I suppose you'd follow them?

No. No, no, NO.

If the jack on the printed circuit board is not properly aligned with the case, the only real fix would be to open the case and attempt to improve the alignment by loosening the PCB mounting screws. Sadly, there is no guarantee that this will work, only a possibility. If you feel this is beyond your skill, then I would suggest contacting Asus Tech Support and making it their problem.

If you try to insert aluminum foil in the jack and it gets loose inside...