Auction Site Rants...

Discussion in 'Off Topic Chat' started by nyb72, Jun 8, 2020.

1. nyb72

nyb72 Scribbler - Standard Member

I've been getting progressively discouraged by a particular auction site that I won't name :p

But one auction, I sold something that came in two parts... and the buyer claimed that one of the two parts was missing. I remember distinctly packing both parts because I went through a lot of trouble packaging it all into a box, and constantly repacking/fiddling until it all fit right. So, in my mind, there's no way I could have omitted it. But there we were, at an impasse, the item was too cheap to deal with reshipping, and what would I do with half a returned item. So I worked out a refund that greatly benefitted the buyer and left me feeling completely taken advantage of.

So, in checking that I didn't get a negative review, I found that someone had left me a negative review that was completely inaccurate. This buyer bought something, but was surprised by the shipping cost, so we mutually cancelled the sale. The review said I was a fraud, and I should be investigated by the auction site because I sent defective parts. Anyway, since I haven't checked my reviews in a while (because I've maintained a 100% rating for over 20 years), it looks like the time for feedback correction has passed, but it still persists on my page.

So now, I photograph everything I pack, record serial numbers, etc but man, what a pain... and despite all the effort to be an honest seller, I now no longer have a perfect feedback rating.

2. DRTigerlilly

DRTigerlilly Tablet Lead Mod (Retired) Super Moderator

That's a tough lesson, but yes you have to document the everything. Too many unscrupulous people out there

I am sure I know which auction site you are referring to, and to often it seems sellers are unprotected.

Sent from my SM-N9600 using Tapatalk

nyb72 likes this.
  3. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

Yeah, I generally like eBay (oops, I mean "a particular auction site") for the deals you can find there, but it's definitely possible to have a bad experience, even as a buyer. I just went through the trouble of returning a "refurbished item" that was completely obviously broken, and as a result missing out on a nice eBay promo (15% percent off certain electronics). I got a full refund, so what do you do. I left a "neutral" grade, but still, pretty bad experience. I recall years ago I received a broken digital camera, returned it, and the guy filed a "lost package" insurance claim, which seems like a decent scam to offload broken stuff. On top of such experiences eBay takes a whopping 10% of the sale, which is twice what I'd find reasonable. If I can sell on Swappa at all, I'll pick that over eBay any day.

nyb72, Marty and DRTigerlilly like this.
  4. nyb72

I remember in business school, my class project partner was a manager from EBay. So, just out of curiosity, I asked him how many people worked at EBay and he replied, 13,000. Thirteen thousand!!! I have a difficult time wrapping my head around that number, for a company that doesn't actually manufacture, inventory, or ship any goods. I'm sure maybe there's a reason, but I still can't figure out why you'd need so many people to run what is essentially a commerce site. But yeah, I guess that 10% adds up.

DRTigerlilly and JoeS like this.
  5. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

Speaking about "a certain auction site," I've had a long-standing beef with it that goes back to when it was still being run by that amateur, Meg Whitman. (It still amazes me that she ran HP for a period of time.)

In my case, I've always been a buyer, and the number of shenanigans that sellers are allowed to get away with is disheartening. In particular, starting an auction and then suddenly pulling the item as suddenly "unavailable" (this was before the days of Buy It Now) because the seller got an under the table offer. I lost several auctions that way.

Interestingly, I never had a problem with items that were broken or not as described, but I also did my homework on the sellers and never dealt with people who had shady histories.

nyb72, JoeS and DRTigerlilly like this.
  6. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

Yeah, lost out on a great deal on an iPhone 7 "jet black" 256GB that way. It still hurts! :D My guess is they also listed on Swappa. They had the gall to beg me for a positive review anyway. :confused:

nyb72 likes this.
  7. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

Not very well she didn't. Didn't she run for president?

8. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...Meg Whitman...>>

My amazement is based on the fact that she lasted for any time at all...!

9. nyb72

Part 2 of E... I mean auction ranting...

Sold an item to a buyer that immediately contacted me. He bought it as a gift and wanted to see if I could ship it to arrive a certain date before he traveled to visit said friend.

I told him, sure. Of course with the pandemic, I've personally experienced delays with the post office, so I went out of my way to visit UPS, to talk to someone to get shipping arrival times, and paid two dollars more for shipping a $100 dollar item. I immediately sent him the tracking number, and constantly updated him on the tracking... the package got there on time, the day before he was leaving.

He wrote to confirm that he received it... then writes this:

"Write me good feedback, I will reply with good feedback. You do your part, and I'll do mine."

Are you kidding me?! After going above and beyond to his request, he's going to hold me hostage on feedback??

doobiedoobiedum and JoeS like this.
  10. doobiedoobiedum

doobiedoobiedum Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I've only sold two computers on that certain auction site, the 2nd sale I must have been prescient as I photographed everything and recorded serial numbers and made sure ALL the details in the listing (including pics of wear and damage) were on the sale listing. Even sent via recorded delivery which the buyer had to sign for on reciept.
    The item sold for more than I expected and then came the start of shenanigans - he tried saying parts were missing, it was an older computer than expected and that there was damage.....
    Anyhow the auction site blocked my receipt of cash while investigations began but the upshot was his account was blocked and I received all money.

I haven't listed anything there since even though my seller status is still 100%.

JoeS and Marty like this.