Attempting to do a downgrade from the new Windows 10 to the original Windows 8.1

Discussion in 'Asus' started by Mick Burian, Oct 18, 2016.

1. Mick Burian

Mick Burian Pen Pal - Newbie

Whilst attempting to do a downgrade from the new Windows 10 to the original Windows 8.1 that came with the tablet and when rebooting again I now get a blue screen coming up first asking to enter a bit locker recovery key before proceeding. The recovery key to enter is right there at the bottom of the screen but I have no keyboard or a way to enter this number. I am stuck as to what to do next.

I would imagine that, maybe, some sort of wireless Bluetooth keyboard might help here to type the number, but I cannot get to the main logon screen to pair a new keyboard.

Can you please advise how I can get around this (i.e. bypass the Blue screen bitlocker prompt)

2. Azzart

Azzart Late night illustrator Senior Member

I guess it would be easier if you say what machine you're trying to downgrade...

(Vivotab note?)

3. Mick Burian

My Apologies!!... :(
    It is an Asus Vivo 8 tablet

4. Yoyo

Yoyo Pen Pal - Newbie

Guessing a USB keyboard is what you'll need to get up and running.

At one point I either restarted or logged out of my VT-8 with the touchscreen disabled and the stylus stopped working. To get back in I had to plug in a USB mouse to navigate the menu system and re-enablet the touchscreen.

Let us know how this works out. Probably there are others looking to 'downgrade' from 10 as well, and a guide would be helpful.

5. Azzart

I did revert back from win 10 to 8.1 in my vivotab note 8.
    Since there was no recovery partition on the disk and the recovery from asus was on a micro sd that coukdn't be used with windows 10, I had to create a bootable win 8.1 usb stick and than attach the otg cable to a usb hub with at least the stick and a keyboard (a mouse is optional).
    Mind it, not every usb hub will work, the one I have with external power supply wasn't recognized at all, I had to do with an older non powered one.

After windows 8.1 installed I had to go to asus site and install their drivers from there,

Yoyo likes this.
  6. Yoyo

Yoyo Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks, Azzart. Someone will likely benefit from your post.

Now if someone would just get Linux running on the VT-8 and tell us all how they did it!

7. Mick Burian

Hi Azart,
    I purchased a "Multi OTG" adapter (see attachment) and plugged in the power and keyboard, however it did not work. I started my VT-8 and the keyboard did not register on the tablet... I could not type. I am curious if this is the type of OTG adapter I need?

Also, just to clarify, when my VT-8 starts up I immediately get a blue screen with a Bitlocker unlock screen telling me to type in a recovery code which I can see but can't type in.

Attached Files:

8. Mick Burian

Hi.

Thanks for your reply. Can I ask what type of OTG you use? I have tried several but I can't seem to get them to register on my VT-8
    As soon as I turn it on it displays the blue - Enter Bitlocker recovery key screen and I can't input via keyboard which is attached to the OTG along with the bootable Win 8.1 usb stick.

9. Azzart

Sorry, somewhat I completely missed this!
    I don't know frankly, it's a very short cable that came with my vivotab note as far as I can remember. :-/