ATIV Smart PC Pro - Battery Usage Notes

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by Pioneer, Nov 17, 2012.

1. Pioneer

Pioneer Scribbler - Standard Member

Here's some quick notes I made monitoring my battery usage.

The 700T was in Quiet Low power mode and I was using it for web, videos, audio, etc. Normal iPad type of usage. Used both Metro and desktop apps.

700t battery.JPG

Looks like about 6.5-7.5 hours of web usage including audio, video, etc in the low power mode. Hope that helps people who were wondering.

Note: I found during this test, using the 700T as a tablet in your lap, is not the most pleasant experience due to its size and weight. The slick back & rounded edges will not stay put in any position without being held. It really needs a dock or stand, or some sort of case to prop it up on you lap and give it some resistance to moving.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2012
  2. Erik2929

Erik2929 Pen Pal - Newbie

Thank you really helpfull post at last one user could make some decent explanation

3. e-schreiber

e-schreiber ƒ(x) / fashion Senior Member

Great info!

4. Pioneer

Here's my stats from this morning...

Screenshot (4).jpg

Looks like 6.5 to 7 hours again on quiet low power mode.

Enjoyed using the tablet much more today, took the smart cover off the iPad and used it to prop up the Samsung.
    The s-pen is a great pointing device on the desktop.

Update: Here's the recharge times with the unit shutdown:

Start - 8%
    47 mins - 46%
    165 mins - 97%

So about 3 hours for a full charge.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2012
  5. tau

tau Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks for the benchmarking Pioneer. Could you tell me what Quiet Low Power mode means in numbers? Would it be possible to watch e.g. a 720p movie with that setting?

6. Pioneer

It seemed to max out at about 1.2GHz in Low mode. Plays the 720P video I have here fine.

I made some notes on the power modes here
    http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/samsung/53842-ativ-smartpc-pro-700t-tested-cpu-speeds-fan-noise.html

Hope that helps.

The fan is just so much quieter in low mode, I prefer it.

7. tau

tau Pen Pal - Newbie

The reason I ask that question is if you really need Low Power Mode to get 7 hours out of battery, though trading off against performance one might as well buy the Ativ Smart PC (non-pro) version? Or am I wrong there?
    Is the Low Power mode still more powerful than the Smart PC non-Pro version? And would not using Low Power Mode be of much difference in terms of amount of hours the battery can last?

8. Pioneer

Good question, here the 500T has no digitizer, no pen.

The 700T has double the memory and a full HD screen.
    The power with the i5 in the 700T is available when needed, simple toggle of modes.

The out of the box mode runs right up to 2.5GHz,
    it's just the fan is louder, some may not notice or care,
    but I really like silent devices unless I'm encoding video etc.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2012
  9. panicbear

panicbear Pen Pal - Newbie

It's not benchmarking, but for anyone who wants more anecdotal examples, I did another stint with my 700T on battery power.

The power profile was Power Saver, the fan was set to Low, and the screen brightness was at about 60%. Otherwise I didn't try to conserve power by turning off anything else.

I used the tablet steadily, mostly while plugged into the keyboard base, including a lot of YouTube watching, downloading programs & installing them (I didn't let anything restart the computer for the sake of battery testing) and transferring files via USB. So it was often doing two things at once: websurfing & downloading software, transferring files & playing YouTube videos.

I got just over 5.5 hours. I feel it was a pretty good amount, considering the settings and what I was asking it to do.

10. Osiris

Osiris Scribbler - Standard Member

My own testing results so far

Full burn down - max performance was 3 hrs 11 minutes

Silent mode+power saver profile (profile def 40% screen brightness) @ 2 hours of non stop use mainly web browsing and office apps has resulted in 15% / hr drawdown so about 6.6 hrs max battery life

Tablet only, not connected to dock.

11. Pioneer

Anyone test how the docked keyboard effects battery life?

12. rpo

rpo Scribbler - Standard Member

My keyboard does not work, otherwise I would! I did run the tablet on battery yesterday for 9.5 hours. The computer still reported 17% remaining at that point. It was pretty light browsing and app installation. The screen was at about 40% brightness.