Ativ 700t Question - Anyone open the unit yet?

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by User Retired, Dec 25, 2012.

1. cmergel

cmergel DBA by trade.

Where did you get this jig? Is that something that you made?
    Very cool.
    I tried using a guitar pick, but it was too flexible and didn't do the job.

Thanks.

2. mldavis99

mldavis99 Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi,
    The jig is a Samsung tool which is not for sale. However, its shape and how it works as well as the accompanying instructions verify what others have discovered in prior posts. It is only necessary to pull back the back case edge along the screen in the areas indicated and as the tool does, gently push upward on the back of the case below where you are pulling the edge back. This will release the latches (grip) on the chassis (screen, motherboard and all). As you continue to do this on this end of the tablet in the indicated areas the entire end of the chassis will begin to pop out of the back cover. I used my thumbnail and upward pressure of my fingers gently to do this (not so good for your nails). I also found a high impact plastic bar vise which might work but ended up using my fingers. After the left end of the chassis is exposed, I continued gently pulling back along the top and bottom cased edges until the back completely popped off.

Then it was one screw to release the SSD and install my new Crucial M4 256SSD. I had already cloned the installed drive with Acronis True Image 2013 and had the new drive mounted in a MyDigitalSSD Bullet Proof USB 3.0 mSATA SSD Enclosure from Amazon on the USB3 port of the tablet (note that the usb ports on the keyboard are USB2.)

Then I carefully reversed the process and the chassis snapped right back in with no problem.

Cheers, mike

3. mldavis99

Oh yes, as others have noted as well as the instructions from Samsung. You only need to pull the edge back very very little, no more than the thickness of a credit card. The clues is to stop as soon as the edge of the chassis (screen) is exposed.

mike

4. neoseye

neoseye Pen Pal - Newbie

Help me..I lost my recovery partition of my 700t..please send me a copy..thanks in advance..i love the factory setup of my ativ pro..especially samsung apps..

5. mldavis99

Sorry, but that is not quite so simple. There are actually 5 partitions on a brand new 700T 128GB SSD of which only 1 is the actual windows partition. The names and starting positions on the disk must be correct. I recommend you check the Samsung support for how to recover these.

mike

6. neoseye

neoseye Pen Pal - Newbie

I did clone once (with dougdmy instruction) with success..reverted back original windows with samsung apps..now that I've lost my backup cloned recovery partitions and the original 128gb msata drive..i cant revert back factory software to my new 256gb msata drive..

7. PizzaMan79

PizzaMan79 Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi Kris, that sounds pretty amazing.

Just to check if I understand correctly - you added 3G to a non-3G version?

Could you please tell a little more about the SIM UART expansion you used? What model mini PCI-Express card did you use? Is the thing on the picture with the coin supposed to fit your sim card? To what do you connect it?

PS i found some more info in the service manual. It was pretty hard to find... I'll leave it right here for a while. Still hope Kris will answer my questions though :)

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  8. PizzaMan79

Too bad Kris isn't active anymore.

Anyway, i'd like to share my experience of opening it with you. Be especially carefull at the rightmost part of the top (as seen from the front in landscape mode). It containse the digitizer ribbon, which damages very easily. I'm about to find out what repairing that costs :-(

Last edited: Sep 23, 2013
  9. ben63vw

ben63vw Pen Pal - Newbie

I just used Clonezilla and upgraded to a 480gb crucial drive. I'm gonna just put the original drive away for safe keeping in case anything happens. My question is what of the 6 partitions that exist with the main windows partition can I remove?

10. PizzaMan79

No.

even though the 12gb restore partition might not work if you move it, you'd best keep them all. It's not like you'll miss the space.