Ativ 700t Question - Anyone open the unit yet?

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by User Retired, Dec 25, 2012.

1. Maccyb

Maccyb Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks for the update servantguy. I plan to do the same upgrade myself. I would love to see those photos when you have time to upload them. ! :)

2. cbutters

cbutters Scribbler - Standard Member

I am going to open mine up tonight and put in a plextor 256GB m5m msata ssd.

Question for you who have done this with clonezilla, were you able to resize the windows partition ok? and what about alignment for the SSD, did it perform the operation and keep the correct alignment or did you have to use a tool to realign the partition for ssd performance?

Thanks

3. Grilloman

Grilloman Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi, I'm going to use Clonezilla but the process seems difficult to me, so I checked Paragon Backup & recovery 2013 free (it's free just register for a free serial number) and I did a backup effortless on a external hd, then I made a bootable usb (with teh software) and after that on the recover process I just checked the "repartition accordly", all went fine.

Remember to modify bios on fast boot, and protected mode.

I forget the link
    http://www.paragon-software.com/home/br-free/

Last edited: Apr 21, 2013
  4. kitzuki

kitzuki Pen Pal - Newbie

sorry for the bump but does anyone know if the 3g module can be added afterward?

5. peterf

peterf Scribbler - Standard Member

I just got one of these for super cheap from Amazon and took it apart

Here are some images

http://imgur.com/a/ZIpwU

No you can not add 3G later. There is no SIM slot or PCIe slot for the datacard. Top left is empty and looks like it would go there if it had one.

6. Happy_user

Happy_user Pen Pal - Newbie

I have upgraded successfully the mine so just wanted to offer my experience especially for those who have reported problems when attempted to clone their disk.

I have purchased a plexor 256GB PX-256M5M; great one!
    Also, used an mSATA to SATA interface and connected the harness to USB by mean of a SATA to USB box converter.

As a cloning program I simply used the Recovery program which is provided with the Ativ 700t configuration.

You need to open Recovery in administrator mode and then select the Disk Copy option.
    The program gives to you a chance to chose what's the recovery situation you want to start cloning from and the C disk partition size.

I chosen to clone the disk at the current situation and resized it for the maximum size available.
    Recovery program then closes Windows and restarts for copy operations in the preOS mode, where most of the Windows drivers and processes are shut off.
    Once the copy process is finished - mine required 45 min - Windows 8 restarts and you need to power off.

Finally open the unit as described (which is really easy) and swap disks .... now you have 150GB+ free. :)

7. peterf

peterf Scribbler - Standard Member

Wow! I didn't bother installing that recovery program thinking it would be junk but it looks very useful. Thanks.

8. kris

kris Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi @ll
    Let me tell U about my upgrade on
    Smart PC Pro XE700T1C-A03UK i5, WiFi, 64GB (eBay New UK 700EUR)
    And on this im ussing
    SSD LiteON 256GB (used allegro.pl POLAND 116EUR), OPTION (eBay NEW! GERMANY 45EUR),
    GPS active antenna
    3G antenna (online shop CZECH REP. 16EUR),
    SIM UART expansion (eBay UK 10EUR U can get it cheaper from CH but it will take weeks!)
    But before i start, let me tell U.. I think tablets with full Windows 8 is new way to go, android, Windows RT and iOS devices r toys compare to full PC in this little thing. I like clam shell body so it is easy to work but when i need i just simply detach keyboard. But right now their FrackiN’ overpriced. Specially hybrids like this w detachable keyboard. Personally i think Fujitsu 701 is the best out there (2x Hdd 2x battery) but Fujitsu and other big companies must be really crazy if they think that everyday user will buy their overpriced products. Even if one can play Diablo 3 on the ****ter.

Ok so lets begin..
    I started opening tablet from left side just on top of the speaker, slowly pushing forward with my old credit card. On the corner is a bit tricky. When I was on the left side, back plate just pop off.
    Now i just simply replaced sdd.
    LiteON was formatted earlier because i want to do fresh W8 installation after upgrade.
    Next step was a little bit trickier. I attached Sim expansion and glue it with 2 sided 3M tape to OPTON combo WiFi GPS 3G card.
    And YES unfortunately SIM card is gone to stay there 4 ever as i don't have plans to open this device any time soon.
    On the bride side i use Areo2 SIM it gives me free 3G internet till 2017 and then expires (areo2.pl only POLAND 0EUR).
    Next i mounted card in place. It would be great to place SIM slot next to micro SD but i think without tampering with motherboard or at list further disassembly its impossible even with different SIM expansion cable.
    Next step was to place and plug new GPS and 3G antennas and existing WiFi antennas. I Used now 3M again to hold them in place.
    And Close back plate.
    So that was the easy part.
    W8 install took about 10 minutes. In spare time i decided to do some optical tuning too ;]

After fresh install all W8 and Samsung upgrades 230+GB free space left

3G & WiFi works fine.

Unfortunately i cannot get a fix from GPS.
    I tried a few applications TomTom even but no luck.
    I installed proper drivers and all devices and new com ports appeared
    Than i turn on GPS w command lines

AT_OIface='GPS',1
    OK
    AT_OIface='APP2',1
    OK
    AT_OGPS=2
    OK

So now GPS is visible in Navigation apps but i cannot get proper fix (checked outdoors)
    when I connect to GPS DATA INTERFACE port, it just updates empty information of NMEA like $GPGGA,,,,,,0,,,,,,,,*65 .

So what i think is,
    GPS works just fine but i could be using wrong antenna.
    Currently using 15x15 mm, active antenna and im guessing im suppose to use passive or it could be something completely different. Suggestions would be welcome..  View attachment 3954 View attachment 3955 View attachment 3956 View attachment 3957

Last edited by a moderator: May 16, 2015
  9. GoldenTongs

GoldenTongs Pen Pal - Newbie

i found this thread looking how i could fix screen lift on my new XE700T1C after about 1 months use

i have found the cause of the screen lift whish is also common on other samsung slates.

I opened up my tablet following instructions found here (thanks all) and found that one of the battery cell has expanded like a balloon causing the screen to lift away from board, this can be easily fixed by simply replacing the battery,
    only problem i have is i cannot find a battery for me XE700T1C
    as battery model number AA-PLZN4NP is simply not available anywhere

If anyone knows where i can find a replacement please do let me know by posting here

(returning laptop/tablet is not really an option as i bought it in UK and had a friend bring to me in Thailand as the pro version is not yet released in Thailand)

10. mldavis99

mldavis99 Pen Pal - Newbie

sm1.jpg sm2.jpg sm3.jpg Opening the back on the XE700T1C A01US seems to work well by apply light outward finger pressure in the back edge lip along the screen at each of the indicated locations while pressing upward on the back just below the same spot. Look at the design of the special jig. It's squared off U shape has a bead which pulls outward on the lip while the lower arm of the U shape pushes up. However Samsung warns to only open a small gap, what is needed is no more than the thickness of a credit card to release the back from the chassis.

Thanks you all for the great information, I got my Crucial M4 256gb up an running today in no time flat. Note that it is a gen 3 at 6GB/sec versus the installed 128SSD which is gen 2 at only 3GB/sec. I can see the difference. (p.s. the installed controller is gen 3!!!).

Cheers Mike..