Ativ 700t Question - Anyone open the unit yet?

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by User Retired, Dec 25, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Maccyb

Maccyb Pen Pal - Newbie

If anyone is interested in upgrading, here is a picture showing the inside of the Samsung 700t. Unfortunately the pats are not numbered but you can see the fan and other parts. As a matter of interest what is the dimension of the SSD drive in the 700t. if anyone knows. Is it a 1.8" type?

Attached Files:

2. gamegirl

gamegirl Pen Pal - Newbie

Oh, that sounds awesome - where did you buy your Square Trade warranty from? I noticed you can buy them on Amazon, but wasn't sure whether it was the best place to get one.

Also, man, totally upgrading my SSD ASAP, once I price shop the Mushkin 480GB drive.

3. Falcatta

Falcatta Pen Pal - Newbie

If you are going to put the Mushkin 480GB drive in it will be fine it is thicker then the stock 128GB but I didn't see any clearance issues.

@Gamegirl earlier in the thread I put a link to where I got mine. It's about $500

4. Maccyb

Maccyb Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks Gamegirl! Appreciate your help.

5. Maccyb

Maccyb Pen Pal - Newbie

I just used the tool on the Crucial site that scans the system and the result shows compatible memory etc, but interestingly, it noted the 4gb ram on the machine but it advises that the are two ram slots on the board and one is empty, it goes on to say that it can take up to a maximum of 16gb ram! Is that true I wonder? I heard that there was no option to increase the ram but according to Crucial their scanner gives an accurate assessment? It would be very nice if you could increase your ram to 16gb and have a 480gb hard drive...! . If you want to try yourself you can go to the Crucial website and check it out...:)

Here is the link. Use the Crucial System Scanner software to find out what type of memory is in your computer

6. ScaredDuck

ScaredDuck Pen Pal - Newbie

I was considering a 3g modem upgrade if possible but could not find anything on that. Anyone got any idea?

7. jbomb

jbomb Scribbler - Standard Member

I was interested in the Samsung... so wait... confirm here... what is the maximum amount of RAM this thing can run? 4? 8? 16??
    as far as SSD, that sounds good. I mean they make them and all, but they always charge a premium to add more. I could get one with 64gb and boost it to 240 or 480, then add more ram.

8. Falcatta

Falcatta Pen Pal - Newbie

I don't think anyone has taken the unit apart far enough to verify that there is indeed an actual free ram slot. So I'm not sure I would bank on that. The mSata drive is definitely replaceable and as mentioned earlier if you have the will and the cash the 480GB drive really fixes my biggest concern with the tablets limitations.

9. manu72

manu72 Pen Pal - Newbie

I think it has 4GB of ram soldered on the motherboard.
    Even worse, apparently those 4gb are single channel and this is incurring the performance penalty observed when 700t1c was compared with sony vaio duo.

Nevertheless i ordered one as a gift for my daughter and it is supposed to arrive by the middle of next week.

10. jbomb

jbomb Scribbler - Standard Member

My best guess is these sleek tablets are not meant to be workhorses. I think the i5 or i7 is only a dual core, not quad. I have a fujitsu T900. It's great for drawing. If I were to get something like this it would be for portability... not sure if I need that. So far the only workhorse I could replace it with is the T902... and I'd rather wait.