Ativ 700t Question - Anyone open the unit yet?

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by User Retired, Dec 25, 2012.

1. Mpthreeuk

Mpthreeuk Pen Pal - Newbie

I think I just killed one of these... Bought it off eBay for £230 with a fault 'the screen is coming away on the left hand side of the unit.' Tried it out, everything was working fine but the 'gap' was literally around 10mm, pushing gently on the glass I could feel a lot of resistance but was debating just super-glueing it shut. Alas there was a very noticeable pressure mark when it was closed completely. So off I go on my kamikaze mission to see what the problem is... I literally just got it open, fecking cat jumped onto the table where I was doing it and I've now got a totally detached screen (digitizer?) and a cable that looks very much like it should still be attached to the front glass as well as another that kinda lines up with the windows button on the front but I can't seem to see where it fits. (as you may have guessed, I'm not that technical but for £230 figured it was worth a punt!) Anyone know if it's ruined or worth persevering with?

In other news, the odd screen parting has been caused by a massive, soft, spongy 'bulge' in the left hand side of the battery, which I've never seen the likes of before. battery is solid all the way along then there is this weird lump. I was kinda hoping someone had tried to use it to smuggle some diamonds or other a large value of class a drugs inside of but I don't wanna have a look to see what it is just yet if it can be salvaged. :)

2. Jamie-B

Jamie-B Scribbler - Standard Member

I saw one such battery the other day, as it happens. The battery itself, from a Macbook, was bulging up into the trackpad that was laid upon it, causing click errors. I would recommend replacing the battery, but I don't know what one's options are for a 700t. But my opinion is that you should absolutely avoid opening that battery; the last thing you want is to be sprayed with battery acid.

3. Mpthreeuk

Mpthreeuk Pen Pal - Newbie

Good point, I hear that stuff hurts :) I think may live with the bulge and not check for diamonds or contraband as I can't see any (easy) way to remove the battery from it:)
    Update:- It looks like the detached cables are a) The Windows Button and b) The Touch Screen sensors. Other than than it works fine so the way I'm looking at it is I have bought an i5 Laptop, which will forever live in it's dock (which also nips the gap closed somewhat) for under £250. The battery seems to hold it's charge ok but I'm a tad concerned about it blowing up. Meh, if it happens it happens :)

4. davey

davey Pen Pal - Newbie

Okay, I also have a bulging battery. Bought it off of ebay "refurbished" worked fine for a month and then I plug it in for an hour, come back and notice the screen is popped out. wtf?

any way to fix this? part numbers? I contacted the seller, but they give only 30 days warranty and doubt they will help me.

i wonder if paypal/ebay would help out in that case, or if my credit card (discover) might reimburse me?

5. uberjuice

uberjuice Pen Pal - Newbie

I can't remove the screw holding the harddrive down

I have come all this way, spent $300 for a new m ssd, $40 for some migration software, taking off the case was a breeze... but now I can't remove the friggin screw

It will not turn!

*************** UPDATE: I GOT IT!!! :) Took a bunch of force, I think this tablet was serviced before because there was some blue glue like substance on the screw, and took a lot of force to remove it (almost thought It would strip the screw)

Last edited: Aug 27, 2014
  6. ksihota

ksihota Pen Pal - Newbie

Probably LOCTITE

Has anyone replaced the battery on the XE700T1C?
    Mine has suddenly died. Windows tells me to remove or replace the battery for safety reasons. The machine still works when plugged in but there is no charge in the battery. Windows indicates that the adapter is plugged in but not charging.
    I have not yet located a replacement battery either.

7. 1454

1454 Pen Pal - Newbie

http://www.amazon.com/G-doo-Aa-pbzn4np-Xe700t1a-a04-Xe700t1a-a06us-Ba43-00317a/dp/B00KKGJ0EQ
    http://www.batteryclerk.com/store/p...vxSs8ECqkNlFF7xEPQcPXXXKLWV03VWFWShoCO1rw_wcB
    Can't speak to the reputability of the merchants, but here are a couple of replacements. I hope this isn't a reoccurring theme.

8. ksihota

ksihota Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks 1454

Batteryclerk appears to be in the States (Ridgewood, New Jersey) The link is not the right model for mine (AA-PLZN4P) but they do carry the one that matches mine (7.5V 6540mAh) It is even $30 cheaper.
    I am waiting on a response from a local supplier before I go ahead.
    In the meanwhile, does anyone know how to disengage the battery power clip. I can see two small metal clips on the sides of the clip or socket but can't tell if they need to be moved to release the clip. I used a magnifier and am still unable to see how it comes apart. I don't want to damage this, so if anyone knows how to separate the clip from the socket please let me know.

The battery appears to be made up of 4 cells, each about 5 mm thick. On mine the 2nd cell appears to be swelling and is about 8 mm thick at the bottom end.

Kim

1454 likes this.
  9. ksihota

ksihota Pen Pal - Newbie

http://www.samsungcanadaparts.com/product/inv_11933616 carries the Samsung OEM battery but it costs $205CAD
    The replacement battery from BatteryClerk costs $70US
    Quite a difference in price. Does anyone know if there is any circuitry etc. on the OEM battery that may not be on a aftermarket battery that would account for the price difference or is it simply the difference in OEM pricing and the higher costs we appear to have to pay in Canada?

I have attached a photo of the battery to try and show the bulge at the bottom of the second cell.

battery bulge.jpg

10. allenpan

allenpan Pen Pal - Newbie

for the 3G/4G card, it is a 40 pin card, not a mini-pcie, it uses 40 pins Flex ribbon/coneector
    [​IMG]