Ativ 700t Question - Anyone open the unit yet?

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by User Retired, Dec 25, 2012.

1. User Retired

User Retired Pen Pal - Newbie

Has anyone opened the Ativ Pro 700t and been able to put it back together correctly as I would like to upgrade the SSD to 256GB mSATA? It is not like the previous Series 7 from what I can tell in other disassemble threads. Thank you in advance for any help.

2. wirecuttr

wirecuttr Pen Pal - Newbie

I'm wondering the same thing. I have one in my hands and it doesn't seem like it is at all user serviceable. Searching the net haven't found anything about opening it up or replacing the battery....I guess this thing hasn't been out long enough. I thought the user manual may mention how to remove the battery for disposable, but it just says to call customer service when the thing stops charging....not helpful at all.

If there is no hope of replacing the battery, I think I will be returning it.

3. daveh

daveh Pen Pal - Newbie

The 64 GB memory is a eMMC chip incorporated into one the circuit cards, it is not an SDD unit that can be switched.

You can get a Service Manual from Samsung Parts, Accessories, DLP TV Lamp, Remote Controls, AC Adapters for about $40 (includes $13.25 S&H!!!). Part of the manual is a rehash of the User Guide you get with the PC. It contains instructions on the disassembly with many photos (small and poor quality). You need a special Disassembly Jig (Jones-700TC COMMON) to pop the back off. Instructions are given where to begin popping open the back along the edges.

The PC contains two separated batteries wired together. It seems batteries last a long time. I never met anyone who has had to replace them in their iPad 1's. Even Apple requires you let them do the service.

I too was hoping to upgrade the memory by SDD replacement.

4. User Retired

I think you may be referring to the older 700t as the ATIV Smart PC Pro 700t just came out in the last couple of months and I do not see any parts listed on the website you noted for the XE700T1C model which is the one in question. If I am mistaken, please correct me, FYI, I have the Pro version which has 128GB SSD in it.

5. daveh

daveh Pen Pal - Newbie

I have a 500T and was referring to the Service Manual for it. I see that you can also get one for the 700T (several model numbers listed) from Samsung Parts, Accessories, DLP TV Lamp, Remote Controls, AC Adapters. The manual looks like it is a standard format with details filled in for a specific model. I am assuming the 700T also uses eMMC memory chips. Perhaps I am wrong and the 700T uses SDD drives.

6. zakyma

zakyma Pen Pal - Newbie

Hello,

can anyone help me in knowing if this tablet can do voice call? I want to get the 3g and 4g version and use viber, and what's up with it. I can't find anywhere in the specs the band for this tablet. I hope it is not for data only.

Thanks.

7. wirecuttr

wirecuttr Pen Pal - Newbie

I'm pretty sure it will be for data only...but the apps you mentioned only use data...Skype will also obviously work on windows 8.

8. rpo

rpo Scribbler - Standard Member

You absolutely can upgrade the SSD with any mSATA SSD on the 700t. I know this because I upgraded mine already...

9. User Retired

Could you share how you opened the unit? Again this is for the new ATIV Pro 700t running Win 8 Pro x64 , the XE700T1c model.

10. zakyma

zakyma Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks for your reply.

Can you please let me know the fequency of the 3g and 4g. I live in United Arab Emirates so I want to make sure that the data is working here.

Appreciate your help.

Thanks.

11. rpo

I used an Office Depot perks card. Any extremely thin piece of plastic should work. I started by getting the card in between the speaker grill and plastic edge by pulling it slightly open with my fingernail. After that, I slid the card between and slid it around the exterior to open each hook. After that, it just comes apart.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 31, 2012
  12. User Retired

so this is the unit you have, Samsung ATIV Smart PC Pro 700T (700T1C) | Samsung Tablet PCs, plus photo attached, if so, could you do a quick video of opening it up as I cannot seem to get mine open by trying to pry open around the screen at the speaker?

win-onscreen-JONES-PC_009_Dynamic1_black.jpg

13. rpo

I cannot do a video at the moment, but will in the near future. Did you slide a card down the slot to open each tab or just try to pry it apart?

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 31, 2012
  14. paulrus

paulrus Pen Pal - Newbie

First post here - glad I found this forum.

I have a 700T coming on January 2nd. My big question was about replacing the SSD. Someone in this thread said it IS possible? Is that true? I was under the impression the back of the unit is glued on and you can't replace the SSD.

I'm planning on using this as a "poor mans" Cintiq tablet as well as replace my old iPad 1. The small SSD and low ram (for what I do) were my main concerns. If I could put a 256 gig SSD in, that'd be fantastic.

Thanks,

Paul

15. rpo

Yes, read my prior posts on this thread.

16. paulrus

paulrus Pen Pal - Newbie

Yes I saw that & that's what I'm referring to.

But every single post I've found anywhere else say the 700T can't be opened and can't be upgraded.

Can you give a little more detail than just "yes it can be done"?

Thanks,

Paul

17. rpo

Wherever you read it cannot be upgrade gave you bad info.

On a prior post I gave this info. You can use a thin piece of plastic between the bezel and glass to pop the back off. The SSD can be easily swapped with any mSATA SSD. The wifi module could also be changed (not sure for what purpose). Everything else is soldered onto the board.

18. lb2012

lb2012 Pen Pal - Newbie

I can confirm without any doubt, the XE700t1c, 700t Ativ Smart PC Pro can be opened as rpo said by using a slim plastic card and carefully, gently and with a lot of patience by starting by the speaker on one side and just moving the card straight along the edge along the glass, do not pressure it or pry on it at all, you might break something. I finally got mine open, again with a lot of patience. I replaced the mSATA 128GB SSD with a new Crucial M4 mSATA 256GB SSD, all recognized and working, Windows just re-installed. Only wish the memory was able to be upgraded and was replaceable, but it is not. As rpo said too, the Intel wireless card is replaceable, but nothing else appears to be, at least easily.

19. madreag

madreag Pen Pal - Newbie

I'm just wondering, has anyone tried upgrading soldered ram?
    Normally you need to use a very a expensive tool (thousands of $) to rework BGAs. You need to reflow the solder by blowing hot air at the flash BGA parts. I recently came upon https://www.sparkfun.com/products/10706 which could do the trick...

I still wouldn't risk my new 700T... just thought I would post this and see if anyone has tried.

20. paulrus

paulrus Pen Pal - Newbie

That is awesome news. 128 isn't enough for me at all.

The ram issue still sucks, but I suppose as long as I don't leave a lot of apps open it should be fine.

Did you re-install windows from a USB drive? Were there any issues with getting drivers once you re-installed?

Now I'm debating if I should get a 256 or wait for muskin's 480gb mSATA drive. (though at $500, it's a wee bit expensive)

-Paul