ATIV 700T - Problem with Photoshop.

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by djbolser, Dec 13, 2012.

1. djbolser

djbolser Pen Pal - Newbie

Hello.

I recently purchased a ATIV 700T Smart PC pro tablet with windows 8 Pro. The main reason I made this purchase was to use it as a portable workstation for digital painting in Photoshop. However, there seems to be an issue with Photoshop, and only Photoshop.. :/

The issue is that the program essentially freezes, or locks up when I try to use the Stylus. It recognizes pressure sensitivity and even will occasionally allow me to make a stroke or two but 99% of the time it will not even allow me to make a line with the stylus. It will just make a single dot and then lock up until I click out of, or even simply hover out of the Photoshop window, after clicking, or hovering for a bit, out of the Photoshop window it will unfreeze itself and repeat the same issue. HOWEVER when I simply use my finger to make marks, the entire program works fine, doesn't lock up or anything, no issues at all. Same thing happens if I connect a mouse and use that, no issues at all. Even if I connect my Wacom Intous 4 Photoshop will run fine, no issues.

I tried Photoshop CS6 and CS5, same issue in both.

So.. this leads me to believe it is an issue with the driver specific to the stylus (the S-pen? I think it is..) included with the tablet pc. BUT when I run other similar programs such as Autodesk Sketchbook pro, everything works fine with the stylus. Pressure sensitivity is recognized and the program runs like a dream. Also the little paint program shipped with the machine, Fresh Paint, runs fine as well. This just confuses me, that means this issue is directed solely at Photoshop? I don't know what to do. I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling the ISD Tablet driver that the SW update provided. I manually downloaded the driver from Wacom's website, I tried disabling TabletInputService in hopes that maybe it was in conflict with the stylus service (TabletServiceISD) or something... But nothing I've tried has worked and I've searched these forums quite a bit and haven't found any similar issues.

Does anyone have any idea what could be happening? Or has anyone experienced this same issue?

Thanks in advance!

2. djbolser

djbolser Pen Pal - Newbie

OK well that was interesting.. While searching some more I found a post about an unrelated issue but someones reply mentioned that they had turned off "press and hold for right click" in the control panel options for the pen input, which caused their Photoshop to freeze up. That reminded me that I had done the same thing, and sure enough that fixed the issue.. so.. apparently turning off "press and hold" in the control panel will mess up your Photoshop. So don't do that.

3. kakeashi

kakeashi Pen Pal - Newbie

ahh yes i ran into that problem too, i kinda had a feeling it was the right click function, i didn't care about it to much and just went to sketch book pro cause i liked it better, it was just smoother in general

but i might come back to it now that i know thats the problem for sure, thanks :)

4. creedcube

creedcube Pen Pal - Newbie

For me it freeses all the time when i try to touch interface by pen, but pressure sencitivity works fine.
    Art Rage inteface also starts to freeze when using pen. So all the time i need to use my fingers to use interface.

5. Jamie-B

Jamie-B Scribbler - Standard Member

Creedcube, does the problem still happen if you disable touch (in: Computer>Local Disc (C:)>Program Files (x86)>Samsung>Settings)?

6. Chumomo

Chumomo hi~

You might have unchecked hold for right click option in pen and touch setting of control pannel?

7. creedcube

creedcube Pen Pal - Newbie

I tried disable touch at all and all gestures and hold for right click and the problem is still here.