1. You may have noticed that TabletPCReview looks a little different. That's because we've moved to a new, streamlined platform, XenForo. Have yourself a look around and engage with your peers. Tips for completing basic tasks are here. Should you encounter any bugs or issues, please post them in this thread, so that we can prioritize and fix them. And feel free to let us know your opinions of the new site.

ATIV 700T: outstanding major issues besides keyboard dock problems

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by kontrol1, Feb 8, 2013.

1. kontrol1

kontrol1 Scribbler - Standard Member

Please chime in on the major issues outstanding besides the keyboard dock problems for the 700T.

Thanks!
  2. Robotica72

Robotica72 Scribbler - Standard Member

I have to say, aside from the keyboard issues (which I no longer have since my new dock, over a week now) - I have no issues. Nothing is glaring for issues in my view ....
  3. fella1

fella1 Pen Pal - Newbie

Well I have never had any major issues with my 700t. I never had the dock problem and no other problems either. It has been a rock solid machine for the 2 months that I've had it
  4. magicfairy

magicfairy Pen Pal - Newbie

Mine has been rock solid also. 2 months now.
  5. drugarth

drugarth Pen Pal - Newbie

I have 2 issues:
    1) the annoying bug that at startup it always says 'detected dark environment' , I assume we all have this issue as it was introduced with the bios update.
    2) with some apps the touchcontrols are off, try for example 'great big wargame'. But not sure if it is tablet related or some other issue. (but ms surface users don't seem to have that issue)
  6. fella1

fella1 Pen Pal - Newbie

Nope, I don't have that problem either. That message does come up when I'm actually in a dark environment but otherwise it doesn't.
  7. gren

gren Pen Pal - Newbie

I get random crashes when booting up the tablet. Can't really pinpoint why. Usually happens when I cold-boot. Does not occur when I suspend.
  8. Robotica72

Robotica72 Scribbler - Standard Member

The darkroom warning only happens to me when its dark - and then you just need to press a button on tablet. Its an odd feature, but I guess I can see the benefits.

Gren - I don't have any crashes, been rock solid (so has the two 500t's) - Could it be something you installed? my 700t has a ton on it and no issues at all.
  9. alexey

alexey Pen Pal - Newbie

The ATIV xe700t1c is a great full featured tablet PC, I really love it. Its biggest problem is the poor choice of accessories, e.g.:

1. There are no docks with an HDMI/DVI output. Mine (samsung stand dock for the ATIV series) is great but offers only power/lan/usb slots. Thus, I can't just dock the tablet and use it with an external monitor - always have to manually connect the cable to the tablet itself. Quite annoying, still better than the keyboard dock.
    2. There are no high-end protective cases with a stand functionality. It might change soon, however, check out the FlipSteady for 700t project - FlipSteady for Samsung tablets : FlipSteady, , Origami Inspired Tablet Stand
  10. gamegirl

gamegirl Pen Pal - Newbie

I wish the pen were a little more robust, but I swapped it out with my old Gateway pen, which works great. I do wish their S-Pen drivers worked better straight out of the gate. I had to download wacom drivers to get better results.

I think aside from that, my biggest complaint is the lack of accessories, too. I wish more decal sites would hurry up and start making decals for it, and I wish there were more fun accessories for it like different docks with different functionalities (i.e. a keyboard with a battery, a dock that's just a stand and a battery etc)

I also get the dark room warning, but mostly because I only use mine in dark rooms, heh. :D
  11. Marilynne_

Marilynne_ Pen Pal - Newbie

I have had my 700t now for two months. I must say I am little disappointed. The hard drive crashed and wiped the entire drive clean. I lost all of my files, music, photos, etc. during a major presentation. Luckily I had a back up configured to restore my files, but I no longer trust the hardware of the device. I also noticed the recovery did not establish all of the factory and Samsung settings, so I have to piece together every app, setting, and re-download software. I am in the process now of requesting a replacement from Samsung while the purchase is still under warranty.
  12. Deathangel

Deathangel Scribbler - Standard Member

Can you describe what kind of error you got? Did you just boot up one day and it didn't find anything? Was there a Windows error beforehand? What kind of SMART values does your SSD have?

And: always use backups, don't keep your sensitive/irretrievable in one place. :D
  13. aussiedeza

aussiedeza Scribbler - Standard Member

what benefits???? this happens on mine and I already know I am in a dark room... what the hell do i need my tablet which I want to boot up fast to stop booting up so it can let me know that useless fact...

it really pisses me off this problem has not been corrected yet. And it doesn't even look like samsung has an idea the problem exists, ridiculous.
  14. e-schreiber

e-schreiber ƒ(x) / fashion Senior Member

Why don't you disable the feature? Isn't that caused by the Automatic Screen Brightness sensor?
  15. iTorrey

iTorrey Pen Pal - Newbie

This feature is to prevent it from coming on inside of your computer bag and draining the battery. Since it's a tablet too it's easy to imagine someone throwing it into their backpack and during their commute the power button gets hit and it turns on.
  16. iTorrey

iTorrey Pen Pal - Newbie

The biggest issue I'm having is not keyboard disconnect but super slow wifi. I mean, right next to the router and I'm getting less than 1mbps. Bought a Micro-USB Wifi dongle that stays plugged in all the time and with this I get 60mbps down.

Before I went USB I had uninstalled the drivers and let Windows pick a driver for me for the wifi adapter and it improved to 9 or 10mbps down but at some point the drivers auto-updated or something and went back to the Samsung driver and it was again super super slow. That's when I gave up and went USB. This is really annoying and should be fixed asap in my opinion.
  17. fella1

fella1 Pen Pal - Newbie

exactly, I think the feature makes sense and I'm glad its there. Mine only does it when I really am in a dark room and hitting a key so that it keeps booting up is not a big deal. Much rather have to do that than to need my tablet and take it out of my bag and realize it is dead from an accidently turn on.
  18. MadSquabbles

MadSquabbles Pen Pal - Newbie

if you put on a power save profile it shouldn't stay awake any longer than you set it to unless you have something capacitive touching it or a video player running. isn't there a bright blue light near the power button like on the 500t? that should be enough to let you know your tablet isn't shut off. probably 70% of my usage time is in dark rooms (i don't really turn on lights if i don't need to, i just prefer the dark). seems it'll annoy the hell out of me too since the chance of the tablet coming on inadvertently is pretty low, especially if the power button is made like the 500t's is.

btw i don't have the 700t, but really, really trying to talk myself out of getting one. the 500t was supposed to replace my galaxy note 10.1 but windows is horrible on the atom and there aren't many apps that i'd want on the modern ui side.
  19. michal_n

michal_n Pen Pal - Newbie

HI all

A few days ago my Ativ 700 arrived. I have choosen that computer based on info from TabletPC Review forums so I think some thanks are in place. I also wanted to share some impressions... I had some doubts, I was worried that keyboard might not work (as it was pointed out in some threads repeated disconnects do happen). After connecting my device, charging it I was holding it by the keyboard and moving around and it did happen, onces, then I learned how to connect better and never happend again. Maybe I was lucky but anyway if you get that problem make sure that you allign both parts properly, at proper angle and push it untill it clicks. I found it easier to conect keybord in closed position so that i have both parts parallel. I can also see the gap in the connecting socket and can judge if I should still push more or it is enough... Hope it helps some ppl.
    Other then that there where no more problems, tiny thing that in the middle of driver update process (automaticaly done with samsung software) touch stoped working for pen but still worked for my finger but that issue resloved after full instalation of drivers and rebooting. No intervention needed.
    I am still getting used to metro UI but thanks to keyboard and mouse that process does not hurt :)
    64GB would be a little to small. 128 works nice, I have additional 32 on micro SD HC card for storing some less used stuff and despite have document loads it seems to be enough for me.
    Screen resolution is high so people with bad eyes might not like the device. letters are small but contrast is great, I can read them easly.
    Computer works nice in laptop mode, my previous one (Lenovo X61) had a great 3:4 12 inch screen - I liked it more then panoramic 11,6 inch of ativ but mobility is great with this device so it is acceptable trade off.
    Cant tell much about batter yet but full day computing is definitely not possible. I do get few hours however and since I mostly work in civilised areas I should be fine...
    To summerise: very good device, works nice as a laptop, very portable, even more portable in tablet form, gets things done and I am happy with it.

regards,
    Michal
  20. gamegirl

gamegirl Pen Pal - Newbie

I was having the worst Wifi disconnect issues, but updating to the newest Bios update through the Samsung updater fixed it for me. (not sure the number of the update, but it's the most recent one available through the Samsung updater)