ATIV 500t attempt to upgrade to Windows 10

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by KurtG, Aug 6, 2015.

1. weaverinva

weaverinva Pen Pal - Newbie

Thought I would give my experience update my Samsung ATIV 500T XE500T1C to Windows 8.1 and Windows 10. It went pretty well and my Windows 10 machine is fully functional and I am very happy. All drivers seem to be working. Most drivers for the realtek, wacom, wireless, etc have 2012,2013 dates but they work fine and I even have a wacom control panel cpl area where I can calibrate the pen. I am amazed at how well the machine runs and how snappy.

Would you believe that after loading windows 10 (keeping none of my personal files; I wanted it clean) and then running Disk Cleanup with System file option to get rid of my old windows installtion.....that I have 40GB free and about 13.2GB used. Of course I kept the recovery partition just in case I would need to revert to factory Windows 8.

Merthodology: I had read enough and realized that Windows 8 might not update appropriately. For me it did not. i did a clean wipe to factory and then installed all the samsung drivers and updates. However, whether Samsung disabled Microsoft updates intentially (search it) or they would just not apply, I could not get updates applied from Microsoft for it to be happy to update to Windows 8.1. It would not do it. Kept saying you need to apply updates. Okay. So after searching I went to Microsoft My Media and I created a bootable USB with Microsoft Windows 8.1 on it. I rebooted by using Settings>General>Advanced>Reboot USB. Then I installed Windows 8.1 (after the base load you have to remove the USB and reboot); it took the license for the existing installation. It kept documents and renamed existing Windows directory to windows.old. It ran reasonably fast compared to the upcoming updates and Windows 10. I may have had to help the system reboot at one point but the 8.1 load worked well. Once up in Windows 8.1, I did not load any drivers or Samsung stuff. Most everything worked except my File Explorer icon was missing. I then went to the update area in control panel and applied all updates. This took a long time and one or two restarts to get them all applied; I think there were over 200. After that the option to update to Windows 10 presented. I selected it and it took a long time (over night) to download things. I one or two points it seemed dead so I pressed the power for 5 seconds until blue light was off and then back on to reboot. It kept going again or said please don't power off until all had been applied. So I helped it reboot at least 2 times. It took about 2 days because I left it apply the 8.1 updates overnight and then to finish the Windows 10 update overnight. Several times it had a black screen and I did not want to reboot it too early.

Then I ran Disk Cleanup. All the drivers are working. No exclamation points. Most of the drivers seem from Windows 7/8 era. I am typing this response in SlimJet from the ATIV. Chrome, Slimjet, and Edge all work well.

Oh, just for grins, I left my 64GB microsd card in the slot. It did not have a problem. YMMV Also on the Windows 10 update, I asked that it not keep anything. I took things to USB first because I wanted it as clean as possible.

I hope it goes well for you.

2. iddqd

iddqd Pen Pal - Newbie

I sucessfully installed windows 10 on this tablet and it's fairly easy to do it (after 4 hours of trial and error session), i coudln't find a way to make the sound working on a tablet naturall been updated windows 10. so a clean installl is necessary i believe. so backup your files first.

1 - download samsung update on any other pc, lookup for your 500t with long model number, download sound driver and settings utility for windows 8 through samsung updater, download lenovo tablet 2 wireless drivers for win 8 or 8.1 (broadcom) from lenovo web site
    2 - create windows 10 x32 (x86) usb drive, plug it in to a cheap usb hub then to the main usb port, turn the tablet on, press f10 repeatedly, choose the usb stick from the list of devices to boot, then boot and do a clean install
    3 - after finished installing windows 10 go on and install sound and wireless drivers + settings utility (for brightness control), i recommend you to restart whenever asked to do so

this will make your sound working. for the chipset drivers you can use lenovo tablet 2 ( i think display drivers too ) ,