ATI Radeon card not being detected.

Discussion in 'HP TouchSmart TM2 (Wacom)' started by mrcrassic, Jun 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mrcrassic

mrcrassic Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi, everyone!

I just received a Touchsmart TM2-2050us from a friend. While I love this device and would like to use it more, I am having major problems getting the discrete graphics to work.

The integrated card works fine and is recognized by both Windows 7 and Windows 8. However, the discrete card is nowhere to be found. I've tried about every method on this forum in getting it recognised, all to no avail. At this point, I am not even sure if the chip is really there (though the friend that sent it to me says it is).

This might also have something to do with auto-rotation (or rotation of any kind) not working. The button does nothing, even with all of the appropriate software installed.

Finally, I am getting incredibly poor battery life. While people on here joyfully tout their 7+ hour battery runtimes, I am having a lot of trouble getting this past 3 hours with VERY light usage. (Most of my time on it has been trying to get discrete graphics to work!)

Is there a way that I can check to see if this machine really has the chip or not? (The BIOS says nothing, and if it helps, it has an HDMI port and the Core i3 U330 CPU.) If it doesn't have the card, what else can I try in getting rotation to work?

Thanks in advance!!

Last edited: Jun 6, 2012
  2. e-schreiber

e-schreiber ƒ(x) / fashion Senior Member

Under Linux, I can verify the presence of both GPUs using the command lspci -v on Terminal. Download the Ubuntu LiveCD, boot into it and, once the desktop loads, try what I said before. Sorry, this is the only method I know and I understand it is cumbersome.

3. A30N

A30N Technologist

My guess is that the ATI chip has become unseated due to inadequate chip soldering, low-quality thermal paste and overheating. This happened to mine as well. I fixed it by using a torch lighter to heat up the ATI chip carefully, and after reaching the required temperature for solder to soften, firmly pushed the ATI chip onto the mainboard and let it cool. Then I re-applied with Arctic thermal paste and re-assembled the heatpipe, adding two more screws to the ATI chip heatsink area to lock it down for good. Now my temps are 20 degrees celcius lower than before the repair, and the battery drain is significantly reduced.

It infuriates me how they have 4 holes drilled and tapped for the ATI chipset heatsink, yet only installed two screws. Combine this with cheap thermal paste, and you have a splendid recipe for disaster!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.