ATI Driver update

Discussion in 'Acer (Gateway)' started by scythe000, May 24, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jrorion5

jrorion5 Pen Pal - Newbie

Vista just offered me an ATI HD2300 driver update as an option. I was curious as I had previous installed the mobilitymodder version. The new update is the most current video driver. I checked this on the ATI site for comparison (8.471). The catalyst system stayed at 8.1.

What is interesting is the one of the rumors about the delays on the C-141XL (I have the previous C-140XL) is that there is a video issue. Gateway doesn't seem to be real quick to release driver updates unless it needs to.

Just some forum fodder....;)

2. s_macivern

s_macivern Pen Pal - Newbie

Yeah, well if this update was supposed to fix something for the C-141XL, it instead broke something on my C-140XL! After updating the driver, the calibration between the pen and cursor is warped when I try to play any games (Its okay at the middle of the screen, but the further to the edge the pen is, the further the cursor is from the pen tip, to the point where the cursor is off the screen when the pen tip is near the edge!) I've tested this with Homeworld 2 and AOE III. The calibration is fine anywhere else, but I'm really ticked that Gateway pushed this update out if it wasn't even meant for my older unit (that is, if this is some hotfix for the 141 series).

I can't seem to fix the problem either. I just tried rolling back the driver, and that actually offset my calibration to the left by 3 inches (even outside of games)! I would have recalibrated, but the offset kept me from getting the cursor to the right-side corners. I frantically tried to re-update the driver and reboot, but now my pen is right back to where it was after the update: fine everywhere but games.

I might consider doing a system restore, but I'm hoping someone knows what the problem could be before I wack up my system more. I guess this says something about Gateway's quality control. I've heard good and bad things about Gateway, but this is turning me sour!

3. cbeas

cbeas Pen Pal - Newbie

I updated the ATI driver from the Windows Update site this morning also. I had the same problem with the pen calibration being off by about 4 inches. I was able to use the system restore to restore back to the restore point that was created just before the update was installed. After the restore my pen calibration is working normally again.

4. jrorion5

jrorion5 Pen Pal - Newbie

Had either of you installed the wacom drivers? I am not having any issues with the pen after the update. I do not have the wacom drivers and registry mods is place, though.

5. cbeas

cbeas Pen Pal - Newbie

I have the wacom drivers installed.

6. tomtheweirdguy

tomtheweirdguy Pen Pal - Newbie

It looks to me like the Wacom driver thinks the resolution of the screen is much lower than what it really is. Those of you having this proble, move your pen along the bottom and right sides of the screen. Notice the offset is not random, but it simply etches out a smaller rectangle. I tried various resolutions to see if that helped at all, and the problem changed slightly (the rectangle that bounds the cursor moved and changed size) but certainly did not go away. I would venture to guess that the ATI driver isn't correctly communicating the screen resolution to the Wacom driver (through whatever middleman it normaly goes through, like a registry setting, and I guess it's possible that in the new graphics driver ATI changed where this setting is stored).

7. s_macivern

s_macivern Pen Pal - Newbie

I doubt I have the latest Wacom drivers, but I tried rolling the driver back, followed by a reboot, and now everything is back to normal. Im not updating again until the problem is hammered out.

EDIT: Thanks to jrorion5's Post, I just realized I did install the registry mod to get customizable buttons. I guess I'll have to look into that before updating

8. scythe000

scythe000 Pen Pal - Newbie

Any updates for the 141xl?

9. scythe000

scythe000 Pen Pal - Newbie

ok, i installed the update, and now i can't recalibrate!

it picks up my first click, then beeps at me when i try to select the second point.