Atheros wireless on ST5030D

Discussion in 'Fujitsu' started by Brian, Jan 2, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bhaltair

Bhaltair Pen Pal - Newbie

Hello everyone:)
    I just finally received my ST5030D, and I'm having a whoopin good time trying to get my wireless working. It connects to my netgear router/firewall, and it even gets an IP. It will not however connect to the internet. MSN Messenger (the new one has a nice troubleshooting utility in it! It's great!) says that my gateway is not working right.
    It has the exact same settings as this Acer that I'm typing on now, and it just refuses to work. I can plug in the LAN to the ST5030D, and it works fine.
    I've spent 2 hours on the phone with Fujitsu and I have to wait until tuesday to get an answer. I would really love to find out how this will work not only getting it working here at my house, but how to get connected to my University's hotspots.

Thank you all.

THank the forum/site leaders for helping me on my decision. Even though my experience with Fujitsu has been anything but flawless, as they cancelled an order for a different shipping address than the credit card I used without letting me money order it, and after being reassured 3 times by a lovely lady on the phone that a DVD/CDR drive was on the order (when it wasn't - yay! Now I get to wait to do ANYTHING with my computer... I ordered a DVD writer that's very good for cheaper than Fujitsu was going to give me for the dvd/cdr reader). I love my computer, but I think Fujitsu is far from superior when it comes to customer satisfaction and support.
    Does anyone out there know what software or settings could be stopping this from accessing the internet??

I've disabled the LAN while trying the wireless, had to disable the wireless to connect to the lan, and am also trying to figure out if there's a way to use a 4pin FIREWIRE connector for my Western DIgital external 320gig drive that seems to require the 6 pin. None of the laptops I've seen has this connector.
    Blah.

I do love the ST5030D for what it is though :) Overpriced for what you get for sure, but so far I'm happy besides these problems.

Sorry if this sounds like a rant - I've been trying to fix this thing for 2 days now, without a drive to reinstall the OS as Fujitsu suggested before I found out I could access through the LAN.

Happy Holidays! lol

2. Brian

Brian Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Are you using the Atheros wireless client? I sugget uninstalling it.

3. Bhaltair

Update -
    I was called back by Fujitsu's real tech department and had the problem fixed in 20 minutes. It was nothing to do with the WIndows or Atheros controling the card, but it has to do with Netgear vs. the software. Netgear's Router has WAP and WAP2 seperated, but on the windows/atheros settings it's put together. For some reason it won't read either/or and I have a hard time doing anything but talking to the router directly.

I had to change to WEP (also becuase my wife's Acer is more limited in how it can connect) and it's all working fine now. Not as secure, but not exactly open as well.

If I uninstall the Atheros Client Utility, I'll have the same problem I fear.

4. Brian

Removing the utility will have no impact, but keep it if you like it, I can't stand it.

5. Bhaltair

No, I understand what you mean if it's a program that you don't need that hogs your resources. I just don't know yet if windows can handle my network card yet or not, or if I even need the Atheros program. I'll test it out today and let you know. Ahteros does have some handy information in that program.

6. Brian

You don't need it, I've been using Fujitsu with Atheros cards for 3 years. I always remove that app first thing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.