Atheros Vs. Centrino-Branded

Discussion in 'Fujitsu' started by TabletMaster, Jul 6, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TabletMaster

TabletMaster Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi all,

I'm buying a Fujitsu T4210 and had a question about the wireless radio. My question is: Which should I get, the Atheros card or the Intel card? Now I know the whole schtick with the Centrino marketing campaign and how it's simply the bundling of the processor, chipset and wireless card from Intel, but I'm interested in real-world performance and battery-life testing of both wireless cards. I'm especially concerned about battery life; I know Intel insinuates in some of its marketing literature that the Centrino platform provides better battery life, but as far as I can discern this is only due to the processor and chipset, and not the wireless card. Some have said that the Intel wireless card can take advantage of "special Centrino extensions in the processor" to save battery life; with everything I know about the platform, I tend to be skeptical of this claim, but can anyone with definitive knowledge confirm or deny this? However, I'm mostly interested in real-world battery life results. Can anyone who has used both cards in the same model laptop comment on a comparison of battery life between the two cards? Also, can you comment on performance (but I'm mostly interested in battery life)? I've read that the Atheros card performs better and more reliably than the Intel card. Is there any truth to that? Any comments from Barry or Brian would be especially appreciated. Thanks so much.

Jonathan

2. Barry J. Doyle

Barry J. Doyle Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Jonathan,

Both Brian and I would agree that the Atheros is just simply a better card. Any battery life differences between the Atheros card and the Intel Pro Wireless would be negligible. The Atheros configuration software is a bit more advanced than the the Intel Pro Wireless setup, but without a doubt I would go with the Atheros option. These cards simply offer a stronger and more reliable connection overall. I hope that helps!

Barry

3. TabletMaster

TabletMaster Pen Pal - Newbie

That was very helpful. Thank you very much!

Jonathan

4. Brian

Brian Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I concur. Been using Fujitsu for about three years, go with the D trim every time.

5. PYROTAK

PYROTAK Scribbler - Standard Member

yeah i have noticed that my centrino wifi does drop a lot, can't comment on its comparison to arthros though.

6. Loaf.

Loaf. Scribbler - Standard Member

the only question is if it's worth it, because the centrino based ones at newegg are low $1700s while a similarly configured atheros version is about $100 more from fujitsu.

7. Brian

Brian Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

That's a valid point of course. It's hard to put a value on it, but $100 is probably too much of a premium. If you get the Intel card though, I'd definitely remove their wireless management app, you're better off with the Windows zero config.

8. PYROTAK

PYROTAK Scribbler - Standard Member

I always use the windows zero config...is the arthos wireless mangager superior to that of windows or something?