Asus Zenbook Duo

Discussion in 'Asus' started by Mr. Boosh, Aug 30, 2020.

1. Mr. Boosh

Mr. Boosh Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I have the lower-powered, more mobile Zenbook Dup on order. After using a Vaio Z Canvas for 6+ years as my dedicated desktop, it is time for me to upgrade.

This machine will be both my desktop replacement and my mobile machine. I am very intrigued by the dual screens for use in a hospital setting. I always have multiple screens open doing records and accessing previous ones within the hospital software.

I'm surprised this hasn't been discussed here or if I'm really the first one to be purchasing this on the forum!

djas and JoeS like this.
  2. nannlp

nannlp Scribbler - Standard Member

just using the ipad pro for that , tried with the surface go 2 but the battery life is no good. so settled for now with the ipad pro with split screen

3. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

"I see your touch bar, and I raise you the touch slab!" Looks like an interesting machine!

upload_2020-8-31_14-35-51.png

4. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I contemplated buying one a year ago. The Zen Book Pro Model though. I was about to begin a coding bootcamp and I wanted a fresh/clean (new) system for it. I was also looking into a workable and mobile dual monitor option for the class.

The B&H superstore in NYC had it on demo so I went to get a hands on feel with it. The main draw with the ZenBook Pro Duo was its integrated 2nd screen, however I found the 2nd screen kind of lacking. It wasn't as bright as the main display and bouncing between the main screen and the lower screen wasn't as comfortable to properly view it because of the angle and the lower brightness. To note however they do have a new model coming out that raises up the angle of the 2nd screen, so hopefully that address that concern.

I also found the keyboard kind of uncomfortable. I hated having the trackpad to the right and the way the keyboard stretches the whole length...the edges were just very uncomfortable for typing. I know they a separate arm rest attachment type thing, which B&H didn't have, but I just wan't impressed.

And lastly while my purpose was primarily for coding, I also wanted something that could also be used for drawing and art creation. The Pen on the Zenbook was the generic level of MPP so I felt it would unsuitable for drawing, and since the main screen doesn't adapt yoga style, drawing would be limited to the bottom half.

I did love the power of the Pro Duo, it had a 45w i9 CPU, RTX 2060 graphics, and 100% adobe RGB on the top screen, but the high price point and my concerns dissuaded me. They didn't have the cheaper non Pro Duo model out yet, had they released it at that point I might have considered that, but in hindsight, the shift to a 15w i7, integrated UHD graphics, and 100% sRGB kind of takes alot of appeal out of the Pro model.

I ultimately choose the HP Zbook X2 and I got the Asus Zenscreen Touch as a secondary USB-C monitor. That arrangement ended up working out perfectly for me and I don't regret choosing that over the Zenbook Pro Duo.

That all being said, I do love the idea of having an integrated second monitor. I really hope Asus continues to offer such innovative products down the line, and other OEMs follow suit.

JoeS likes this.
  5. daddyfish

daddyfish Scribbler - Standard Member

, yeah this is why I am personally more fan of the Asus Screenpad at touchpad location. But instead of the ~5.5 inch screen it is now make it either a touchpad/Screenpad the size of a MacBook Pro Touchpad or just turn the entire bottom in a Screenpad (/so the sides as well, that is if palm detection is sufficient).
    The disadvantage is of course that you will have to look more downwards but on the flip side it would work nice with scribbling/note taking on the Screenpad.

darkmagistric likes this.
  6. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

What I would like to see them do...since the current aspect ratio of the top screen of Zen Duo is 16:9, I would like to see them make a model with a 3/4 ratio instead. That would vertically increase the screen's height, which in turn should enable them to make the keyboard portion larger to match, so feasibly they could put the trackpad at the bottom and space the keys out better. That would make the device larger overall, but it would be worth it in my opinion. The Zen Pro Duo is already a behemoth of a computer. Making it somewhat bigger wouldn't exactly preclude its current use cases.

Additional that could enable them to do both...incorporate both the 2nd Zen screen, as well as the screen pad.

daddyfish likes this.
  7. daddyfish

daddyfish Scribbler - Standard Member

, so 3 screens, I like it :D.