ASUS warranty

Discussion in 'Asus' started by Gautam, Nov 30, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. deepak

deepak Scribbler - Standard Member

I am pretty excited about this new asus tablet (just like u all) and i have a couple of questions. i would really appreciate if someone would provide some feedback.

1) How is Asus warranty in Canada? this is my main question.
    2) what does asus mean when it says 'first A4 size tablet'?
    3) If you were in my place and have $2049 (canadian, thats the price from milestone pc) would you buy this tablet? i know this is weird question.

Thhank You
    Deepak

2. woutervegter

woutervegter Pen Pal - Newbie

i'd like to add on question 2:
    what is the effective screen size in width and height? (so the distance betweeen the most left and most right pixel and the distance between the most upper and most lower pixel) I read somewhere that is not exactly the same size of a4, so that's why I ask this question

3. alphaswift

alphaswift Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

1) Don't know.
    2) A4 is a Euro paper size. Like we use 8.5x11. (Resolution is 1280x800)
    3) My only problem is I'd like better specs ( I'd buy the Australian configuration in a heartbeat ) for the NA systems. I'm going to do it, and probably buy from Milestone. I need to go to TO at the end of the month, so I'll try and work out a pick-up arrangement with them. It's too bad the dealer in Ottawa (pccyber.com) seems like a complete chucklehead. Their customer service was so bad asking about the system I shudder to think of what would happen if I actually needed help.

4. sxm

sxm Pen Pal - Newbie

my understanding is that asus has a global world-wide warranty

5. deepak

deepak Scribbler - Standard Member

Thanks for replying guy, i do know asus has a world wide warranty but was wanting to know like how good is it. did anyone try it? like u know how there are issues with HP's warranty and sometimes with toshiba's warranties thats why i was wondering.

6. PROPortable

PROPortable Scribbler - Standard Member

The "global warranty" means that in it's stock configuration - it can be fixed/serviced/supported by any Asus office world wide. This beats basically any other warranty I've ever seen because Asus has offices in every major country and it would be ASUS that would be working on your system, not some subcontractor..... It wouldn't just be some sales office that would then need to send it out to Taiwan to get it fixed.... they could do it at any office.

As stated above, A4 is a paper size - sort of important for those that normally actaully longhand notes on a pad of paper. Just like all of our other "standard" measurements, the US is basically the only people who use the "letter", "legal", "tabloid" sizes.... In other words, the rest of the world uses A4 paper and it would be as common everywhere else as "letter" size is to us. In relation to normal "letter" size of 8.5" x 11"... an A4 sheet is 1/4" less wide and 3/4" longer.... in other words, it's 8.25" x 11.75".....

It's a 13.3" screen on the diagonal with a 16:10 ratio... do the math and you have a screen that is 7.125" tall and 11.25" wide.... I don't believe the screen is really the exact dimensions of an A4 sheet of paper, but basically what they were saying with that big of info is that it's the only 13.3" convertible tablet (and frankly I'm not even sure it is - but I've never seen Asus lie on their "facts"). I've seen 10 / 12 / 14" tablets.. but I've never seen a 13.3"... so I don't know... but basically it's just to say it's a damn good size for a tablet as 12 is too small and 14 is too big.

7. PROPortable

I can only attest to how service is contucted in four countries......

The US is great and Canada is really part of the US office until recently when they opened a small Canadian office so systems wouldn't have to keep crossing the borders. I've heard good things about that office, but I don't have contact with them.

Taiwan certainly can and will service their own systems.. I don't think anyone would question that

Italy... been there... visted their office in milan... they're a top notch organization.... Had three people I know (one customer from the states, a friend from down the street, and a customer from rome) all need support while in italy and all had a good experience.

Out side of that, I heard the offices in the UK, Spain and AU all are questionable (or really what I'd consider average).

8. Tsukiyomi

Tsukiyomi Scribbler - Standard Member

I'm not sure how good their warranty service is per se, but in all the machines I've had, none of the Asus components have failed

I also hear they have a dedicated office in Fremont, CA to handle customer service rather than a bunch of people in India or another country. No offense if you are from India, but the customer service people that I've spoken to are difficult to understand.

9. PROPortable

The fact that Asus machines have a very low fail rate of any kind only speaks to the quality of their components and build....... and if anything, would prove that if there were any systems that could probably go without a warranty, it would be an Asus system.....

Their Fremont Office is their US core for distribution, sales, service and support. They've got about 4-5 guys that handle support and service and over the years I can certainly say that I'd trust 2 of those guys with my life and I'm sure the other guys are good as well, but at least 2 of them are exceptional. It's a nice personal approach you get with such a small group of people that you could form a bit of a relationship if need be and therefore there's always accountability.... not just someone saying "oh, you want another department, hold on and i'll connect you" .... mean while you get disconnected and only know a first name and call back to find out there are 100's of people in 4 citys that may have talked to you last...

10. eva04

eva04 Scribbler - Standard Member

Hi guys, my first post ... I just bought my R1F a week ago in Melbourne, Australia. Firstly, I'd like to contribute to the thread.

2) what does asus mean when it says 'first A4 size tablet'?As ProPortable has stated, it is just for size comparison. The actual screen size itself is smaller by about 1cm in width and 2cms in height.

3) If you were in my place and have $2049 (canadian, thats the price from milestone pc) would you buy this tablet? i know this is weird question.
    Now, i'm not too sure how much that is in AUD. I got mine for about 3,500AUD with the 2GB ram upgrade. I've had many laptops previous to this, however this is my first tablet and I must say, it is worth every cent invested!

However...................... (i'm not sure i should be asking this here... but it does have to do with warranty). I've read in another thread by a guy who reviewed the R1F, but the thread is now locked(i think?) so i'll just ask here and hope i don't get flamed. So anyway, he had photos of the stylus/pen all scratched up from the 'silo' holder in the tablet. The pen itself actually came separate to the laptop boxing. Knowing it may get scatched up... i havent actually used the silo yet.. but i've looked into it and i saw aluminum brackets/framing which would only hold the pen in place and will definitely scratch the pen if inserted. So i was wondering whether Asus will cover R1F owners for damaged pens and fix our silos under their warranty. I'm sick of carrying around a pen in my pocket!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.