ASUS VivoTab TF810C - WLAN Stability

Discussion in 'Asus' started by schwarz86, Jun 17, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. schwarz86

schwarz86 Pen Pal - Newbie

Hello to all of you who are owner of this (in my opinion) fabulous device. Almost since the beginning I had a little problem with the wifi if the signal is not strong enouh. Other notebooks and even my smartphone was able to establish a solid network access. But my device does not....:(

The first time I accepted it but today I walked through every detailed pooint in the options of the wifi adapter and found something that could be interesting for some (maybe all) of you.

Guide:
    1.) Device Manager
    2.) Broadcom 802.11bgn Wireless SDIO Adapter
    3.) right Click - Properties
    4.) Advanced (I don't know how it is said in english because I have mine in german)
    5.) Go to the point "Afterburner" and set the value to "enable"
    6.) Confirm everything with ok

After these steps my wifi worked much (much much) better then before and also with lower wifi signals I have now a stable

I hope this is working for some of you. please give me a feedback what happens with your device after this :)

2. Breed

Breed Scribbler - Standard Member

Thank you for this! I noticed really bad wireless speeds ad signal after I updated the drivers in LiveUpdate. I rectified the issue by simply rolling back to the earlier drivers for WLAN only. However, I will revert to the newer ones and try this feature and report back.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2013
  3. schwarz86

After my wifi was stable I played around with some other options there:
    1.) Switching the IBSS mode to 802.11b/g/n Auto
    2.) Switch the value of XPress (TM) Technology to "enable"

Accordingly to this article on wikipedie the quality of the wifi should increase.

I will test these options for the next days/weeks and will give some short outlines whether I notice something (bad or good) or not.

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  4. AegixNova

AegixNova Pen Pal - Newbie

I think I previously rolled back my drivers, as they are dated 1st November 2011. I gave this a try anyway.

Before the changing these wifi settings, on the edge of wifi for my tablet I got 0.58Mbps down and 1.83Mbps up. Ouch. That's pretty terrible.
    My old notebook with 802.11n that seems pretty reliable got 43.14Mbps down and 1.70Mbps up. I suddenly appreciate it much more.
    My Galaxy S3 gets 22.5Mbps down and 1.8Mbps up. Note that it has a custom ROM and the modem and Radio Interface Layer (RIL) don't match, which is apparently very bad but I haven't had the time to bother fixing it yet.
    I can get about 100Mbps down when connected through ethernet, so the notebook and phone aren't bottlenecked or anything.

After applying afterburner I got 0.24Mbps down (even though the readings were consistently at ~1.7 throughout!?!) and 0.3Mbps up. Boo. Afterburner is only meant to work for 802.11g anyway.

Changing the XPress and IBSS Mode settings gave me 3.49Mbps down and 1.51Mbps up. Better, but still absolutely terrible. Also, because the wifi is so dodgy and sketchy this improvement may have just been a spike and coincidence.
    Maybe I'll update the drivers later and have another look. Hopefully it's not the hardware that is terrible, but rather the drivers.

5. schwarz86

Can you please tell me how or with what tool you are getting these exact values. I just noticed that with afterburner the wifi was more stable. But I will also take some notes if I know how to measrure them.

6. AegixNova

AegixNova Pen Pal - Newbie

I just use Speedtest.net - The Global Broadband Speed Test
    It measures internet speed rather than wifi speed, but you can use it for the same purpose of course

7. will567

will567 Scribbler - Standard Member

Using Speedtest I get 18.39mbps down, 2.09 up. That's in a room a floor above and about 20' sideways away from the router.

8. jmglondon

jmglondon Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi schwarz86,

Thank you for your solution - it worked for our problem, even though it was slightly different from your problem.

I bought an Asus Vivotab last week (August 2013). After a few days the wifi stopped working: we got the message "there might be a problem with the driver for the wifi adapter" and the built-in diagnostic wizard didn't offer any solutions. It didn't detect any networks at all, even though we live in an apartment and our 8-year old laptop can detect 14 networks.

We followed your instructions and enabled 'afterburner' in the advanced tab. It now works better: it can detect 5 wifi signals including our own router!

9. schwarz86

I am glad that my solution worked for you :)

10. wishfool2

wishfool2 Pen Pal - Newbie

I've been having some issues maintaining a signal connected to wifi when at uni, frequently drops to limited connection. Only happens at uni with their cisco network routers, not at home for some reason.
    Have just enabled afterburner and also enabled X-Press technology, back up running now, will monitor, hopefully will save me having to reconnect every hour.
    cheers