Asus Vivotab Smart ME400C wont wake up from sleep.

Discussion in 'Asus' started by omermyaari, Feb 28, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. omermyaari

omermyaari Pen Pal - Newbie

Hello,

I have bought this Asus ME400C tablet a few days ago, I was all happy untill I found out about this annoying problem.

I know other people suffer from this problem as well, and I tried to follow their instructions to install drivers but it didnt help.

I tried to restore the settings from the PC Settings menu with no luck, it keeps telling me it cant restore for some reason.

I really liked this tablet and the windows 8 os but this problem is so annoying it makes me feel like returning it to the store.

Does anyone have a solution for this? please :(

2. OzRob

OzRob Pen Pal - Newbie

What exactly are the symptoms? When does this problem happen? A bit more info might help.

3. omermyaari

omermyaari Pen Pal - Newbie

Whenever the computer goes to sleep, and the screen turns off, I cant wake it up.

I can press the windows button and I can hear the windows button sound, but when I try to wake up the tablet by pressing the power button - it wont wake up!

The only solution that works for me right now is turning it off, turning it on and then I get a "Your PC has crashed recently" kind of message..

4. eugenekim618

eugenekim618 ME400C Fanboy

I am actually frustrated with a similar problem. I have restored my ME400C to factory settings several times.
    With factory drivers, with updated drivers...

When the laptop goes to sleep while on battery, it refuses to wake up when I press the power button.

I have dropped the laptop (from low level) twice, so I thought that maybe I screwed something up with the hardware because of that.
    But I hope the tablet is not THAT fragile!

I am going to be clearing the error/activity logs in the Windows Management tool and see what I come up with.
    Glad (in a manner of speaking) to know that other people are experiencing the same issue...so hopefully it's not because I was careless with my ME400C.

I am thinking something is not jiving with the sleep mode. Possibly the wifi drivers? I have NFC and Bluetooth disabled, but still experience that never ending sleep.

5. eugenekim618

My ME400C is being a real pain in the arse today. Yesterday, it seemed to be alright with timing out and going to sleep, and waking up on command without a problem.

I have the ME400C with me @ work today. Not connected to Wifi, but Wifi is on. Bluetooth off, GPS, ON, NFC off.
    As soon as it goes to sleep, refuses to wake up. I thought it might be my cheapie aftermarket Vivotab RT screen protector having some impact on the screen. So I pulled that sucker off, but no change.

Anyone have any insight into this? Wifi driver is set to go to sleep, and wake up the system. Some folks here are saying do not do BIOS update, and I haven't as I have no access to it anyway.
    I've done the driver updates, and all the Windows updates.

I'm thinking of reformating this thing AGAIN...and maybe NOT DO ANY updates and see what happens? Or maybe return this one to Best Buy and get a new one? :p Could it be a defective unit?

6. eugenekim618

Contacted Aus Live Support chat.

Explained to them the situation. They simply apologized, told me to do a factory reset and all my problems will be solved.

And then ended the chat with a link to rate their service. WTH?

7. eugenekim618

Doing a factory reset...AGAIN....let's see what happens. :D

Not going to install the updated drivers. Will hold off on Windows updates as well.

Any chance an Windows App could cause this? Or maybe one of the cloud drives?

I was also thinking that maybe it was because I have mounted my SD card to a folder on the main drive. I wonder if that could be the culprit. So many variables.

8. eugenekim618

OK, did a BUNCH of things, and so far, the ME400C is waking up EVERY single time so far. After 5 min, after an hour, etc.

1) Took off aftermarket anti-glare screen protector, did full factory reset. (I read somewhere not to use non-approved SP, or one that is not specific for this model.)

2) Let it sit at the first screen for over an hour. Coming from the Android community, some people believe in letting the fresh OS install "settle in". I doubt this is the case nor required for this device, but what the heck. Let it sit, watch Person of Interest, an episode of BSG...

3) Live update still doesn't work. Did all Windows updates, and did not touch the device until it was done.

4) Installed all W8 Apps.

5) Inserted 64GB Micro SDXC card back in, but did not mount to folder on C drive yet.

6) Believe it or not on this one: Did not use my laptop case for transport. (still waiting for aftermarket case to arrive.)
    I actually tested this yesterday. I used to have an 11" laptop (HP DM1-3040CA). And I have this nice case which has memory foam on the top and bottom, leather outside.
    Not sure what's causing it. But after confirming the ME400C wakes up and goes to sleep repeatedly, i would put in in the case, and zip it up. Within 5 min, tablet is frozen/won't wake up from sleep.
    Fight to get the damn thing to restart. Then slide it into the laptop case, leave zipper open at the top. Take it out after 5 min, and frozen again.
    I did this SEVERAL times and various time intervals, after using the tablet for a while etc, JUST to be sure. And sure enough, this laptop bag does something wacky to the ME400C.

Packed the ME400C in my portfolio and brought it to work today, waking no problem.

Been testing it all day, and so far so good. Did not do driver updates. Just gonna wait for Live Update to start working hopefully sometime this year.
    But so far so good.

Gonna mount the SDXC card to local folder tonight, and see if that triggers a freeze from waking up from sleep mode.

a) Problems waking from sleep mode from transport - Seems to be caused by my laptop bag.
    b) Problems waking from sleep mode while on my desk - Funky screen protector? SD card mounted to local folder? Driver package bad? I dunno.

Knock on wood, all is good so far.

9. awins

awins Pen Pal - Newbie

all still good??

10. eugenekim618

Seems to be better after I did the factory reset. Letting it sit for a while maybe helped? I dunno.

I recently got an email from ASUS in response to my comments after my bad experience with their chat technical support.

The email said that they think I have a faulty power button and should send in the unit for warranty repair. Debating on whether I should do this or not.