ASUS VivoTab Smart ME400C - Q&A + Hints and Tips.

Discussion in 'Asus' started by eugenekim618, Mar 27, 2013.

1. eugenekim618

eugenekim618 ME400C Fanboy

Thought I'd give this a start to collect hints and tips and provide help to fellow ME400C users without cluttering up the Experience thread as well.

1) Active stylus WILL NOT work on our ME400C's. Different type of screen. Passive pens it is. Tons to choose from.

2) No, you cannot connect your ME400C to a PC via the provided USB cable to do file transfers.
    Shared network folders, Homegroup folders etc via WiFi are the way to go.
    OR, pickup a USB OTG cable (cheap on Amazon) and use a USB flash drive to do your transfers.

3) YES, you can do screenshots with the ME400C. On any screen, HOLD Windows capacitive button and press Volume down and let go. You should see the screen briefly go dim.
    There will be a folder created in your Pictures folder called Screenshots. The Windows 8 Photos App may not index and update right away. So goto the desktop and navigate to the Pictures folder to see what you've captured.

4) Windows Narrator - Hold Windows Capactive button and press Volume Up and let go. Narrator will start. Have the volume up so you can hear the instructions and what Stephen Hawking...I mean the computer is reading out to you!

Last edited: Mar 27, 2013
  2. Farbod

Farbod Pen Pal - Newbie

ME400C has a built in TPM security chip, so you can use encrypting softwares like BitLocker in a secure & easy manner.

It is possible to turn off the chip completely via bios. go to BIOS ==> Advanced ==> Intel FTPM Support ==> Disabled

To find its status, type tpm.msc in the search box, in charm bar. (Windows 8)

Be careful while working with TPM, as it might cause data lose if you do something wrong!

3. Farbod

Farbod Pen Pal - Newbie

Sleep or hibernation resolution:

Generally, there should be no problem with sleep mode in ME400C! if you select "sleep" in windows, your tablets turns off... but:

1. If you touch the win key soon (after some minutes), it wakes up.

2. If you return to your tablet 1-2 hours later or more, the win touch key will not turn your tablet on. in this case, try to turn on your tablet regularly by pressing & holding the power button.

In both above cases, you may see that all opened programs, unsaved documents, etc remain as before sleeping! :thumbsup: meaning that the tablet was in sleep mode. (Note that the tablet uses battery in Sleep mode)

4. elyunque

elyunque Pen Pal - Newbie

In my vivotab smart there is no hibernate option, how could I enabled it? I try powercfg /hibernate on with no results.

5. rockhunter

rockhunter Pen Pal - Newbie

It is a fairly obvious suggestion but if you are using a large (32GB up) MicroSDcard as a second drive, consider formatting the card to NTFS typically it will improve storage by 10% or more. I copied a 10.5GB (3500 file) directory of applications and data from my desktop to a 64 GB Sandisk sdxc card and discovered it used 12.8GB if formatted exFAT. Reformatting the card to NTFS and the copied directory was back to the 10.5 GB size when copied. There may be operational ramifications if you are using the card as removable storage on a frequent basis, YMMV.

Last edited: May 16, 2013