ASUS VivoTab Smart ME400C - Problems Thread

Discussion in 'Asus' started by eugenekim618, Mar 27, 2013.

1. will567

will567 Scribbler - Standard Member

2. jboby93

jboby93 Pen Pal - Newbie

3. prolific

prolific Pen Pal - Newbie

4. 150pilot

150pilot Pen Pal - Newbie

jboby93,

I started having the same issue today. The screen backlight comes on but it remains black all of the time. I plugged in an external monitor through the micro HDMI port and as I had expected, everything was working fine except for the black screen on the tablet. I restored to an earlier restore point, reinstalled drivers, even did a Win 8 refresh. Still can't get anything other than the black screen.

5. will567

will567 Scribbler - Standard Member

It does sound like you and prolific may have some hardware problems, although I am no expert by any measure. Hopefully someone can suggest another remedy to try. If not I guess you'll have to use warranty service, unfortunately.

transmitted through the ether from a Nook HD+ using Tapatalk

6. maxwolfie

maxwolfie Pen Pal - Newbie

My ME400C doesn't seem to hold a connection to a USB thumb drive under load for anymore than about 2-3 minutes. Basically, if I try to copy a large file it will time out half way through and the drive will disappear. The same happens when I try to create a USB Recovery Drive out of Windows 8 - it will stop about 3-4 minutes in.

I can, however, copy to my hearts content if the unit is plugged into a powered USB hub. I have yet to test it without any power, but it is working fine with power. I am also yet to actually try it just idling (not under any file copy load).

I am using the same OTG cable in both cases (OTG > USB drive and OTG. > USB hub > USB drive).

What could this be?

Last edited: Sep 18, 2013
  7. tmn

tmn Pen Pal - Newbie

Microsof say all Windows 8 can upgrate to 8.1 free? Who try in your device?

8. jboby93

jboby93 Pen Pal - Newbie

I installed the driver package version 1.00 from the ASUS website, and the black screen happens even more often now. I'm gonna try installing a fresh copy of Windows 8 from a flash drive and see if that fixes it. If not, it's going back to Best Buy for a replacement.

9. jboby93

jboby93 Pen Pal - Newbie

Reinstalled Windows from a USB drive, and installed the driver package version 1.00, everything seems to be working fine so far.

Note that to do this, you need a USB to OTG cable so that you can plug in normal USB devices, you need a flash drive at least 8GB, and a USB hub with at least 3 ports: for the flash drive, a mouse, and keyboard. You may also need to disable Secure Boot to boot from the USB.

If anyone wants me to write some quick instructions on what I did, let me know. To whoever asked about Windows 8.1, I just downloaded it from my school's DreamSpark thing, so I'll give that a try after I get all my programs and files reinstalled.

Edit: I bought my USB-OTG cable fro Newegg for $3.09 if you aren't sure where to get one.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2013
  10. Dimitris

Dimitris Pen Pal - Newbie

I updated my asus vivotab smart to windows 8.1 preview!!! My battery icon disappeared but after a big effort I found it!!! However it still says ''plugged in not charging'' in moments that needs more power like when playing a video on internet or not on internet!!!! It's really very annoying because I except the battery to charge and a long time after i saw it last time the battery is in the same level or below!!!!!! Please help with something!!!!! ASUS DO SOMETHING IMMEDIATELLY!!!!!!:mad::mad::mad: