Asus Vivotab Smart ME400C - Freezing up/BSOD

Discussion in 'Asus' started by eugenekim618, Feb 26, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. eugenekim618

eugenekim618 ME400C Fanboy

Hello everyone!

I'm the proud owner of a Vivotab Smart. However, lately, I've been noticing that my Smart is freezing up or locking up it seems.

Just now, I was watching a video with the Video Modern UI app. Paused it, stepped away for a few min, so I guess the screen timed out.
    After that I can't turn on the screen again. Holding down the power button doesn't help. I have to hold down the pin hole reset button for a few seconds, then power on.

I've only done Windows updates and my Modern UI apps. No Asus updates, as like everyone else is experiencing, the Live Updates is not working as of yet.

The scenario i am mentioning is just one example of when it freezes up (or at least that's what I think it is doing).

I haven't made any changes to the default Windows 8 settings. Any insight would be appreciated.

2. Breed

Breed Scribbler - Standard Member

The ME400C was amongst the first to get updated drivers via LiveUpdate. They should show up under LiveUpdate If not, download and install them manually from the ME400C experience thread.

3. OzRob

OzRob Pen Pal - Newbie

I've had my ME400C for about two weeks now and have had no lockups or freezes. But the first thing I did was use ASUS LiveUpdate to update the drivers to the V1.0 package.

I noticed significant improvements in wifi speed and a general increase in responsiveness of the tablet after updating the drivers, so I suspect that your problems may be related to the fact that you haven't been able to get the updates.

The first time I tried to set up my tab I did the Windows Updates first. I then tried to run ASUS LiveUpdate and, like you, found it wouldn't connect to the server. I factory reset my tablet and tried again. This time I ran ASUS LiveUpdate first (before doing ANYTHING else). It took a long time, but it eventually opened up and showed me the available updates. I selected ONLY the Driver updates (do the BIOS update after the drivers have been installed) and ran the process. It sat there for about 40mins doing what appeared to be nothing (I had set the time to sleep to about 2 hours in the power settings before running the update so I didn't have to keep poking the screen) and then burst into life and quite quickly finished the update. After a reboot, the machine was running much faster and better. From there, all other updates went quickly and smoothly.

I suspect that the initial wifi drivers are flakey and slow, and this causes ASUS LiveUpdate some initial grief. It's probably taking ages to download anything from the ASUS servers and this is giving people the impression that the process has stalled, but actually it's working away in the background. So being patient and doing the driver update first means that all the other configuration stuff works properly. I'm not sure why doing the Windows Update before updating the drivers causes more problems than it solves, but that seems to be the experience of some people. Perhaps some of the initial drivers are causing Windows Update confusion and this is leading to ASUS LiveUpdate not working at all.

4. eugenekim618

eugenekim618 ME400C Fanboy

Thanks Breed & OzRob for the tips. I managed to find the Live Update 'update' in the Experience thread.
    However, I can't find the drivers or the bios update. I thought I remembered seeing them there last night. I went through the pages twice during dinner, inbetwee bites. :p

Any chance you can redirect me to where the files are?

5. Breed

Breed Scribbler - Standard Member

6. awins

awins Pen Pal - Newbie

thanksthankathanks!!!!!!

downloaded and installed the drivers and everything seems to be sweet :)