Asus Vivotab Smart ME400 experience

Discussion in 'Asus' started by dinan, Jan 25, 2013.

1. blach

blach Pen Pal - Newbie

Hello!

After installing Windows 8.1, I cannot adjust the screen brightness anymore, it doesn't work. I think I've the last bios version and de the last drivers version (9.14.3.1177) I don't know what is not working, there are not other issues, all works fine.

Asus tell me to reinstall Windows but, is there another option?

Thanks, sorry for my English.

2. davidwes

davidwes Pen Pal - Newbie

I upgraded last night. First the bios, then windows to 8.1. Works great! My brightness setting is working.

3. davidwes

Was surfing just now and two messages came up top right corner.. One was "asus update, update available". The other was "don't update your drivers via asus update, update via windows update". What a weird message the second was. They were official messages, however I may not remember the message wording exactly because they went away after a few seconds.

I checked asus update and there is a driver update to 5.0, but now I'm spooked. I'm not doing any manual updates without more information. I know I'll see those messages again as it appears they are triggered by a daily event.

4. davidwes

The messages have come couple more times. I got it wrong. It said "do update drivers via Asus update to avoid windows 8.1 upgrade failure". That sounds more promising but still will wait a bit before updating.

5. OzRob

OzRob Pen Pal - Newbie

You should update drivers if you're on Windows 8.1. The new drivers (and BIOS update) fix the graphics driver crash issue. I've upgraded and so far all is well. Tablet seems a little more responsive that before.

6. davidwes

I did the update and all is working.

7. einari73

einari73 Pen Pal - Newbie

Yes! Ebay car charger works.

After I got my tablet back from service (motherboard), I have found new probem. when I turn power off, also bios clock has no power. Next time I turn power on, clock is in same time as it was when I turned powet off. I called to Asud and I'm waiting email guide how to turn it on if possible. Hope it can be solved. I dont want to send my tablet to CZE again and wait 2-3 weeks.

8. garyten

garyten Pen Pal - Newbie

I too have this "plugged in, not charging" issue. Anyone knows if there is a fix for this?

9. BOB63

BOB63 Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi, my VivoTab SMART on October stop to work after 7 months live (no power on , charging) .I sent to ASUS CZE and just after 2 MONTHS, while there were no news about my machine , but just a generic "waiting spare parts", and many escalation to ASUS support and after threatening to describe on their Facebook page their very bad after sale service, they have decided to declare that my tablet was no more repairable and replaved with another one refurbished. Now I've problems with this new one bacause for my point of view show problems with the battery life ( using WiFii , screen luminosity at 40% end mainly to surfe in internet and like book reader, the battery life is no more than 4 hr , while my original tablet was about 7-8 hours and something more. I've misured the battery life disabling the wifii and keeping the tablet on like reader without change page and with luminosity at 40% and video always on. In thi condition the performance are :
    11:20am totally charged
    > 11:41am 77%
    > 13:07pm 58%
    > 15:45pm 24%
    > 16:16pm 16%
    > 16:50pm completely discharged .
    To recharge completely the battery I need 5hrs with the original usb charger.
    Bios and drivers are all updated at the last level.Now after have again escalated To ASUS they are suggesting me, "IF I'M SURE THAT THERE IS A BATTERY PROBLEM" to resend the tablet to be repaired, but I've not intention to wait other two months....for nothing. Before enter again in this never end story, I would like compare my battery performance with some other one that has this tablet on hand just to verify if my perception that I got a problem with the battery it's real.
    Can someone give me an help ?
    When I bought this tablet I was really entusiast of performances , specially the battery life, but now I've a lot of concerns about the product and about ASUS overall , for their uncredible bad assistance .... Thanks Roberto.

10. dhofar

dhofar Pen Pal - Newbie

For charging am using Samsung one although it stated @2amps but even then it's capable of keeping better charing while tab is working with a few cases when it stops to charge when it's under a heavy load but then again it's a bit faster , I might try 2.1 amps or a bit higher ., one thing you have to watch over battery duration is system resources used , ie keep an eye on task manager for CPU and ram used , an extensive percentage would certainly means less time for battery ,an easy thing to do is watching tab's heat issue . Higher side well drink more battery juice as you know.

I've two good apps for this tab , for good overall protection I'm using webroot sucrityanywhere complete the lowest on resources there is. For a good performance guard tune-up utility is so handy in this respect, easily I go beyond 8 hers and upto 10 hrs with low to middle use. Give a virtual memory about 2gig for high and low level I think it helps pretty well for such clocertrail setup