Asus Vivotab Smart ME400 experience

Discussion in 'Asus' started by dinan, Jan 25, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dimitris

Dimitris Pen Pal - Newbie

I put 8.1 preview on asus vivotab smart but still ''Plugged in not charging''!!!!!!!! NO HOPE!!!!!!!!:mad:

2. gpstoloff

gpstoloff Pen Pal - Newbie

Here's a fun one:

I sent one of my two ME400C's in for service on an RMA, and it was returned with a whole new motherboard and power adapter -- but without the little micro SD dummy filler card!

So, I went onto Tech Support chat and the RMA checklist form, which advised "Please do not to include any accessories, including but not limited to as they will not be returned / replaced. Customers will be responsible for shipping fee if they are requesting items to be returned.
    - User’s manual, software, original box, etc".

2 issues arise in my mind from that text:
    - A filler card covering the memory card drive isn't an accessory; it's a protective cover to prevent dirt, dust, etc. from entering the tablet and causing damage. (If I hadn't included it and any damage had occurred, guess who would have been blamed?)
    - I wouldn't consider a filler card in the same class as anything that would be classed as "et cetera" with software, paperwork, or shipping materials. My suspicion is that a good attorney would be able to drive a truck through that disclaimer.

BUT, the real kicker to this was that I spent over 45 minutes on the line with the original support tech and then another 15 minutes with his supervisor, only to be told that "Our service center does not always have an abundance of spare accessories, even though its something as small as a dummy sd card which is why there is no guarantee we'll be able to replace it and why we try to locate yours specifically

I've created a new case for you regarding this issue, the case number is ******. You'll be contacted if we're able to locate/replace the dummy card and you'll also be required to cover return shipping costs."

Come on, gang, this is a $0.35 part (in quantities of 100 direct from China) and can easily be sent in an envelope for $0.46 -- yet ASUS Tech Support took over an hour's time to fight over this!

A reasonable person could anticipate that the cost to ASUS for all their time (not including my time, as well) is far more than a US dollar! How's that for retaining customer relations? Whatever happened to common sense?

3. Dimitris

Dimitris Pen Pal - Newbie

Since I put windows 8.1 on my ASUS VivoTab Smart when I close the lid the most times it closes for ever and it doesn't open when I open the lid!!!!!! Also I chose it to do nothing when I close the lid and the only thing that it does is to turn off the screen without locking it!!!!!! But still the same problem!!!!! It closes and after rebooting some settings have changed like the ''pause syncing'' in my dropbox folder!!!!!! Any IDEA???:confused::confused:

4. ulflun

ulflun Pen Pal - Newbie

Has anyone had any problems with a OTG-adapter? Or do you have to configure settings to get it working? Or probably my newly bought adapter is dead... Because it cant recognize anything with the adapter, its dead. Do you need to have certain amount of battery power to use it?

5. will567

will567 Scribbler - Standard Member

Depending on what you're connecting, it doesn't seem like this tablet can power most devices through USB, so you may need a powered USB hub. It should work with a USB memory stick or something like that. But USB speakers I tried won't work.

6. ulflun

ulflun Pen Pal - Newbie

The adapter did not work. I bought another cable and it solved the problem (Im using a active powered USB hub). Now I have another problem thought when I want to boot the pad from a USB stick:

Tried with two different USB-sticks, one 4GB and one 8GB. Tried this Sticks on another computer and it works to boot from. But I cant even find the devices now iin the boot Menu on the ASUS when pressing "volume down"... Just Windows Boot Manager and BIOS menu option.

Im using an active USB hub and the keyboard and mice works well. In Windows detects the USB keys.... but not in UEFI/BIOS boot... not even as a "hardware" in BIOS. Feels like something is wrong... Compability Issues?

EDIT:The issue was that I have wanted to create a bootable UFD using bootsect.exe. This is required for the old generation BIOS but not for the UEFI. So it is just fine formatting an UFD with FAT32 and copy over the Windows files.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2013
  7. Smart

Smart Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi All,

i'm Asus Vivotab Smart user from France.
    Sorry for my english!

I encounter a problem with this tablet.

Since yesterday, when I start the tablet, nothing appears on the screen:

* - No logo Asus
    * - No Windows logon
    * - Nothing

The screen is on (it flickers) and most importantly, I can take control of the tablet using a utility that I installed (like team viewer) and when I am connected to the tablet through the remote desktop, everything seems normal.
    No error message ..

A hardware problem?

8. maxwolfie

maxwolfie Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi guys, I have an issue where my ME400C seems to drop all bluetooth connections at random times, usually every 5-10 minutes.

I have a clean (non Asus) copy of Windows 8 installed, which is fully updated.

Any ideas?

9. tmn

tmn Pen Pal - Newbie

Today in Store show update windows 8.1 firts page :)

10. nnjwy

nnjwy Pen Pal - Newbie

it's not there now Gone