Asus Vivotab Smart ME400 experience

Discussion in 'Asus' started by dinan, Jan 25, 2013.

1. TechlLuv

TechlLuv Pen Pal - Newbie

Really, That is it? I picked one up last night and was getting a little worried too open it. I thought the Vivotab 810 was the one with all the problems from the Asus line.

Sent from my SGH-I777 using Tapatalk 2

2. Loccy

Loccy Pen Pal - Newbie

Well I uninstalled Asus Web Storage as one of the very first de-bloating activities I did, and I've not had any problems at all on that front. There was the BIOS upgrade problem I posted about earlier, but that seems to be a common thing and nothing to do with Asus Web Storage.

3. woodpecker

woodpecker Pen Pal - Newbie

I took my vivo back to Argos today, no quibble swap, showed the guy the endless repair loop it was stuck in and got a replacement.

I had tried everything to get it going, even edited the bcd to force safe mode and all sorts but there was no way is was ever getting out of the loop.

New unit seems fine, although the initial power on showed some error code, a reboot got rid of it though. The whole first time startup sequence seemed different, this time I took a full backup image to a micro SD card and also extracted the installation key which I couldn't get out of the last unit once it was in the loop. In case things went wrong, I also went to force a restore point but it had already done 2 itself, yesterdays unit had no system restore points at all.

Windoze then installed 29 updates, then I ran the Liveupdate which is v1.19, loaded the drivers first and rebooted, then the bios and rebooted and it seems ok, hoorah!

4. epcot1988

epcot1988 Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi to all of you Smart users,

I am looking at getting one when I get what's left of my tax return this year! Any way, has anyone tried using a powered USB hub with the smart? If so, how did it work out? Also, one of the things I was planning on doing with a tablet is steaming live video. Sourcing it to USTREAM or VEETLE. Has anyone done this? How did it work? I was planning on using an external USB camera (thus the hub question) for the video feed source. I would think that the Smart should be able to handle this as most cell phones don't seem to have a problem doing this except you can't connect an external camera to them or a hub!

5. artie

artie Pen Pal - Newbie

I've used the Smart with a powered USB hub, no problem. It does not charge from the hub but seems to run in a powered state (higher brightness, etc.). I did not try with a camera, only with an external HD and a dongle for a presentation controller (Targus Presenter).

LiveUpdate still can't connect, so it's still buggy. Could anyone make the two zip files (drivers and bios) available to me?

6. Ravynmagi

Ravynmagi Scribbler - Standard Member

Anyone else having an issue where the tablet will just freeze up and do nothing? I've had this happen almost a dozen times now. I have to hold the power button for about 10 seconds to force shut it off, the power it back on again.

I switched from the Samsung 500T to this. I love the hardware more on the ASUS, the smaller size, soft touch plastic. But geez, the software experience has been quite a bit worse (and that Samsung was far from perfect too).

7. Wrinkle

Wrinkle Pen Pal - Newbie

Would you please share how you got the system backup on to your sd card? I tried to make a system backup on to my 32GB card, but I guess there wasn't enough room on it because 3/4 of the way it stopped and ask me to insert an additional card?!

8. gbazman

gbazman Pen Pal - Newbie

Hey there, my vivotab will not turn on at all now and when you hold the power button down the light blinks orange a couple times and then stops, I have been trying to find out why for hours and can't anyone here know why?

9. ghosterbiter

ghosterbiter Pen Pal - Newbie

How much battery works on ME400?

10. vfrmaverick

vfrmaverick Pen Pal - Newbie

The flashing power light means it is out of battery. Plug it in and leave it alone for 30 mins to let it get a decent charge.

Battery life is very good but on that same side either the charger is a bit anemic or it really does take 9 hours to charge it. I left it overnight and Windows says it got to 95% but the top had the white light on.