Asus Vivotab Smart ME400 experience

Discussion in 'Asus' started by dinan, Jan 25, 2013.

1. eugenekim618

eugenekim618 ME400C Fanboy

I just got an email from ASUS in Markham. They have sent me a PDF with a quote, advising 3 parts need to be repaired, out of MY pocket!!

Motherboard, Outer plastic trim/bezel and LCD Panel. Total exceeds $600.

W T H??? I FULLY acknowledge the plastic bezel is damaged. Both top left and right corners. I was stupid, using my tablet and walking and I've knicked a wall or two. What can I say? The bezel is cheap plastic and it just chipped. But the problems (stated in my problem thread) were before the bezel was even damaged.

I am waiting for clarification as to how they are pinning damage to the mobo and LCD panel on me. I wouldn't be surpised if they didn't even bother doing any diag or open the unit up. Just seeing the damaged bezel, they're calling for the mobo and LCD, and blaming it on customer clumsiness. I am upset and heartbroken that the company that manufactures the product I was enjoying so much, is going to screw me over like this. I am devastated.

Waiting for a phone number to speak to someone about these alleged damages and repairs to the mobo/LCD that **I** have caused or some sort of explanation via email. I've even written to the "escalation" link via the ASUS website.

<shaking my head>

2. Wrinkle

Wrinkle Pen Pal - Newbie

So you bashed your Tab into the wall a few times and it busted and now Asus won't fix it for free?.......outrageous!

Last edited: Apr 27, 2013
  3. eugenekim618

eugenekim618 ME400C Fanboy

:-D I know what you are thinking and where you're coming from. :-D

Please believe, I'm not "one of those" kind of customers/posters.

I believe I am honest enough to admit when I am wrong, or know when it is my fault. The damage to the bezel, please believe me, the damage was purely cosmetic and I honestly doubt it would have caused enough damage to cause these system problems. I know I damaged the bezel and even stated so in the ASUS RMA documentation I sent them. I've had far greater accidents with my Galaxy Note, and when I got bumped and my ME400C knicked the wall, I truly expected just a scuff or some abrasion. So I was quite surprised that the plastic trim just crumbled along the corner of impact.

I've received communication back from ASUS and things are proceeding as follows.

1) The representative was in direct contact with the service technician. The rep quoted the service technician's email to me, which stated that the LCD panel DID NOT need to be replaced, but was preferred. I quote:

"Per our tech, the LCD corner is damaged cosmetic only. Customer can leave the LCD as is, but it might not fit to the new back cover due to the damaged corner."

Ok, so suddenly I don't need to spend several hundred dollars on the LCD panel.

2) The technician explains that the power on issues I have are due to a "broken power button". I have not experienced any issues with the power button. The unit goes to sleep, doesn't want to wake up. I can see that HOW the power button can be a cause or related issue, but the technician goes on to explain that the back cover is broken by me which subsequently lead to the power switch being broken. The power switch being a component of the mobo, requiring the complete mobo to be replaced.

The ASUS rep has advised that they will supply pictures to substantiate their side of the claim. I'm trying to figure out how I could have damaged the power button.

I'll end my little rant here, as I do not want to generate additional posts and stir any arguments. Thanks all for listening/reading. Hopefully this RMA experience will end with a positive note.

4. Wrinkle

Wrinkle Pen Pal - Newbie

Ok, eugenekim, I'll keep my fingers x-d that you can work things out with Asus, at a reasonable cost and to your mutual satisfaction.
    Looking forward to your next report.

5. rcxAsh

rcxAsh Scribbler - Standard Member

Jot will probably need to provide some Windows-specific drivers if you want the pressure sensitivity to work. Windows sees mouse, touch and pen input as three different things. Programs are able to differentiate between them and what is available in your system, and thus are capable of disabling certain features if it deems that hardware as not available.

6. ScottXe

ScottXe Pen Pal - Newbie

In power off state, how can I monitor the charging condition while charging?

7. ScottXe

ScottXe Pen Pal - Newbie

I would like to create the shortcut for my frequent visit to the website. Thanks for the procedure!

8. ScottXe

ScottXe Pen Pal - Newbie

I have two accounts: one each for work and personal. Currently when I switch to one from another, I have to sign out the current one and then sign in the other one. It is very inefficient. Is there any easy way I can switch from one to another?

9. NeoX

NeoX Pen Pal - Newbie

when the little LED at the power button turns white, means it's full or close to it.

10. ScottXe

ScottXe Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks! I got it.