Asus Vivotab Smart ME400 experience

Discussion in 'Asus' started by dinan, Jan 25, 2013.

1. teimcrr

teimcrr Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi, I'm new of the forum, and I want to share my experience with the ME400C.
    Got it three weeks ago, did all the updates (with some difficulties with Live Update like many of you) and all good until few days ago.
    Then suddenly, one morning, when turning on the tablet, I found the touch screen had become totally unresponsive.
    I could enter the system by using an external mouse connected to the USB (with OTG adapter), system was working normally, except for the touch screen, completely dead. The Windows Logo capacitive button was working OK, instead.
    In Control Panel I could see that the peripheral and all the options related to touch input device were missing, just like the related HW was simply not existing anymore.
    I tried Windows refresh, reinstall of ASUS drivers, with no luck.
    I concluded it was a HW fault so I opened a RMA with ASUS support.
    But yesterday the miracle happened. I tried to turn on the tablet, found it with battery completely down, due to some days I left it on, and suddenly the touch screen was working fine again !?

This a mystery for me. Perhaps something related to the Windows fast boot, not really switching off the device, or perhaps the touchscreen HW device was in a lock state and restarted correctly only with the power failure due the battery completely down.
    I stopped the RMA procedure since I'm not sure it is a HW problem, and I'm monitoring the ME400C to see if it is stable.

Any idea or advice ?

Thanks,
    Marco

2. bounty123

bounty123 Pen Pal - Newbie

My Vivotab Smart is completely dead, wouldn't turn on however I tried. So I opened an RMA. Hopefully they will repair it fast, I miss it much already. :)

3. pcram

pcram Pen Pal - Newbie

Same good experience, I guess Asus finally got Liveupdate debugged..
    But another question: under devices I should see the NFC connention but I don't...anybody else has this NFC device missing (from start,, swipe from left side, click devices, : all that is shown is : "Nothing to to send at the moment", whereas the NFC device should be listed here) ???

4. eugenekim618

eugenekim618 ME400C Fanboy

Since there are so many posts regarding technical problems with the ME400C, I've opened up a Problems thread.
    I hope nobody including the OP take offense to that! I think it would be nice to keep this thread focused on the experience with our awesome tablet.
    And for those who need to post issues, look for solutions, or post solutions don't have to sift through pages of posts that are jumping between many topics.

I also have setup a Q&A + Hints & Tips thread. Happy posting all!

5. Cthugha

Cthugha Pen Pal - Newbie

Since the last Asus update my TF810C has worked really well and I'm very happy with it. I just have two remaining issues, both related to power management...
    1. After a few hours in sleep mode (screen turned off either manually or after timeout) the tablet is often completely off when I pick it up.
    2. Sometimes the battery is completely drained while in sleep mode (even if it was at >50% the night before).
    Any ideas? I have all power management settings at default now. All Asus and Windows updates installed, no custom drivers, very few desktop apps installed.

I love the new mail, calendar & people apps update :) The need to jump into desktop mode is becoming quite rare. The "Windows Blue" update will take it even further :)

Last edited: Mar 27, 2013
  6. eugenekim618

See my problems thread, your problems sound very similar to mine.

Regarding your battery, double check the icon to see if it reads as no battery, or drained. If it is drained, does it still read the same after a reboot?

Screen too, not sure if it's off, or stuck in sleep mode.

7. Cthugha

Cthugha Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks for the reply but it's not that bad for me.
    I don't think it's ever shown "no battery" since the latest updates. When it's drained it's really drained, I have to connect it to either charger or dock to turn it on, and then after boot up it shows like 1-3% battery.
    And when it's unintentionally off I can always turn it on again (but sometimes I have to hold on/off button for ~10 secs and then again ~3 secs to turn it on).

LOL, I just realised I had replied to the wrong thread - I have a TF810C, not a ME400 :)

8. tabletpcrev

tabletpcrev Pen Pal - Newbie

What's ssd model installed in ME400C? Could it be replaced with another disk?

9. eugenekim618

That's a good question. Someone previously opened up their ME400C, I wonder if they can tell.

I looked back at the post, and it's hard to tell in the pic.

If it takes an SSD...I would upgrade my unit in a heartbeat. Our ME400C with a 250GB or 500GB SSD would rock!!

http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/asus/55104-asus-vivotab-smart-me400-experience-25.html#post317151 <--Link to the post with the pic.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2013
  10. vfrmaverick

vfrmaverick Pen Pal - Newbie

Vivotab smart does not have ssd but rather emmc memory. Meaning it is a bit slower and its soldered onto the board. But honestly with how cheap and convenient microsd cards are I see no real reason to spend 300 bucks in a tiny sad when you can get much more in sd cards