Asus Vivotab Smart ME400 experience

Discussion in 'Asus' started by dinan, Jan 25, 2013.

1. Ravynmagi

Ravynmagi Scribbler - Standard Member

I don't know now. The application never even starts up anymore. I just get the error before it even opens.

I'm doing a Refresh on my tablet now. Didn't want to do it since I had my applications installed and everything set up the way I like, but guess it's the only way to fix this... or at least I hope this fixes it.

2. Ravynmagi

Ravynmagi Scribbler - Standard Member

Welp, doing a refresh didn't work. *sigh*

3. icwhatudidthere

icwhatudidthere Pen Pal - Newbie

That sucks man. I did some digging around, there's an update.xml file in the LiveUpdate directory that has a list of the latest filenames. I couldn't find those files on my system though, so it must be deleted after install. There's also a LiveUpdate.msi file in Windows temp but I'm not sure of the version. Also tried to search for a website in the exe file but didn't find anything relevant.

Also in \Windows\Logs there are two log files for you to check out. One for Asus driver install and the other for Intel driver install, both from LiveUpdate.

4. vfrmaverick

vfrmaverick Pen Pal - Newbie

imalso had the restore issue with the bios update. Except i let it finish and had no issues. One issue that seems gone was a blue screen due to some power thing error, dont recall the specifics but it hasnt returned after i finished all the updates.

I did notice however that readyboost doesnt work, im not sure why it doesnt even show up at all. I have a 32gb uh1 sdhc card which should atleast be able tl help on the ram side of things a bit.

Ill go and make a technical review/overview later tonight talking about the specs and things that i feel a lot of videos and written reviews seem to miss out on.

5. vfrmaverick

Also for some reason i had gone and done a screen calibration. It completely ruined the way the OS was runing with the swipes and such. luckily win 8 seems to lnow this can happen and has a restore button tl bring it back to how it should be.

6. Loccy

Loccy Pen Pal - Newbie

I had the same issue post-BIOS update, where it seemed to hose the OS. Like others I got the automatic repair thing, which didn't seem to do very much and just sat churning for about half an hour. I hard powered the device - at which point it rebooted fine and went into Windows 8.

Maybe I was just lucky, maybe I just hit power off nanoseconds before it would have come up "repair done"? *shrug*

Either way, suggest other people who've not done the BIOS update yet give it a swerve. Or, at the very least, make sure you've got a restore point available.

7. artie

artie Pen Pal - Newbie

I've had my ME400C for a week and have so far never been able to connect to ASUS LiveUpdate. I noticed that for some reason LiveUpdate.exe was not on the list of programs allowed through the Windows Firewall so I added it but that didn't help. Tried turning off Firewall and Windows Defender. No joy. Spent a long time chatting with ASUS support, the upshot of which was that after long consultation among themselves they just apologized for my bad experience, recommended I wipe out and reinstall Windows one more time, all of which changed nothing.

I love this tablet and want to keep it but it's got a lot of issues which I hope a BIOS/Driver update would resolve. No luck so far.

Tried finding the LiveUpdate log files, but nothing in C:\Windows\Logs. There are two log files in Program Files\LiveUpdate\Logs but they are both 1Kb and empty in Notepad. Don't know what else to do. Any ideas from you bright ones?

BTW: When I wiped and reinstalled windows the VivoTab still automatically found and installed the printers I had installed before, Windows Mail knew how many hotmail and gmail accounts I had activated before, my account picture was in there, and I don't know what else remained. That's a bit scary because if I can't get the thing to run reliably I'll have no choice but to return it. I guess I'll have to wipe things manually once, go back through the install process, delete windows.old, and wipe and restore one more time.

But please don't follow this rabbit trail I started; I would really appreciate any insights on the LiveUpdate "Cannot connect to server" problem.

8. artie

artie Pen Pal - Newbie

Update: I checked on a German site and found that someone had uploaded the latest version of LiveUpdate (1.19). I think mine is the factory shipped 1.14.

Here's the link: http://sdrv.ms/YcfSgE

The user zipped the whole folder himself so you'll have to unzip and run it from that folder. I tried it and still no joy: Cannot connect to server. :-(

9. vfrmaverick

Ugh, last night I rebooted to see ifspeedfan was runing at startup and got a boot error. I went to sleep and decided to attemptto fix today, after 30 mins of attempting it just gave up and asked to restore. I played ball and did a restore with saving my files. Windows update just didnt seem to work and was having a bunch of weird difficulties. asus liveupdate was giving a could not unzip error when updating it. I decided to then go ahead and restore deleting everything (thank god for MS and google accounts). Right now its at 11%, will update the thread on how that goes and if it fixes any issues.

10. vfrmaverick

had another boot loop. Figured the problem out and I will post here as a warning
    DO NOT DISABLE THE ASUS WEB STORAGE FROM START UP PROGRAMS.