Asus Vivotab Smart ME400 experience

Discussion in 'Asus' started by dinan, Jan 25, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Farbod

Farbod Pen Pal - Newbie

Dear Eugene,

Yes, it has 1 year warranty, but there is new year holiday in my country & they are closed till next 4 weeks!

I don't know what "OTG" means, but I have a cable which converts usb mini to normal usb. do you mean this type of cable? (I can use normal flash storages with using this cable.)

I want to know if there is no way to restore the recovery partition, is it possible to install a new windows on tablet? for example, I purchase a windows 8 pro & install it via USB. is it possible? or there are some specific drivers joined in recovery partition which without them there is no re-installation possible?

Thank you very much Eugene for your help. :thumbsup:

2. eugenekim618

eugenekim618 ME400C Fanboy

WOW! 4 week holiday...I wish I had a 4 week holiday! :)

OTG is the cable you are describing. Micro USB to regular USB. OTG = On The Go

1) You could install a new version of Windows on the tablet such as Windows 8 and install it via USB.
    - However, you will not have the programs that ship from factory. ASUS camera, Kindle, My Dictionary etc installed. The ASUS "bloatware". To some this is good, to some not so good. Depends on whether you want the programs/apps or not. I think you can probably download most from the Windows Store anyway, but I'm not 100% sure on that.
    - Going this route, you would have the ability to delete those partitions and actually use that space for storage.
    - Going this route will NOT create a recovery image on the unit.
    - I'm not sure if there are specific drivers that may be required to make the tablet fully functional. You may have to install the drivers that are available in this post.

2) If you want to make it like factory, contact ASUS and find out how you go about obtaining the restore image to put on to USB.
    - I don't really see the need to go to Windows 8 Pro, unless you need specific features like bitlocker.
    - No point in paying for another OS right?

3. Farbod

Farbod Pen Pal - Newbie

Dear Eugene, Thank you so very much for you valuable information.

Officially, the new year holiday is 1 week for governmental companies, but 3-4 weeks for private companies like the company which provided my tablet's warranty. :eek:

I don’t need any app, except than the app which is used for taking photo by camera. (which I think it is possible to find a similar software in the internet!)

I’m very afraid because I think if in future the system stops working, as it has not a recovery partition, I must completely discard it! :( But as you mentioned, there is possible to format & reinstall another windows, like a Personal Computer... Right? Now would it be possible for you to explain what I must have & do? I have a USB OTG cable & a USB disk. I also know how I must enter to Bios. (Holding volume (-) key & pressing power button) now how I must boot the tablet via USB?

At present I have a USB disk which is specially designed to boot the computer up & install windows 7. For testing, how I must force the tablet to boot from USB?

I don’t want to upgrade to Pro version, but there is no “normal” version of windows 8 in our market… it is only windows 8 pro. Also there are OEM licenses which are much cheaper. however at present, I don't want to pay for a new windows, as you also mentioned, there is no point in it.

4. eugenekim618

Spend some time and call ASUS. See if they will send or tell you how to download their recovery image for your tablet. Hopefully you can donwload it somewhere and use it to create a recovery USB disk.

So let's say you have the recovery disk, or you purchase Windows 8 online and download to a computer, and use the recovery disk creator program from Microsoft.

1) Press the Volume Down + Power
    2) You should see 2 options, Windows Boot Manager/Enter Setup
    3) Enter Setup
    4) Scroll over to Security, disable Secure Boot.
    5) Save changes and reset.
    6) Turn off Tablet.
    7) Plugin your bootable USB.
    8) Press Volume Down and Power <-----I am not sure from this step. I am guessing. I've followed these steps mostly from a Samsung tablet post. I would think it should mostly be the same.
    I don't have a bootable USB at the moment, so I cannot test for you.
    9) Should boot off of USB, or have option to do so? <--Again, guessing from step 8 onwards.

Here is the link from where I gathered my info. Hopefully it helps.

How to create Windows 8 installation bootable USB for UEFI (Samsung Slate)

5. eugenekim618

I actually have a bootable USB with Windows 8 Pro @ Home. Will test later tonight.

6. Farbod

Farbod Pen Pal - Newbie

I have already emailed them...

Thanks a lot again, I followed those steps... specially the note "the USB drive must be in FAT32". when I hold down the volume (-) key & press the power button, I can see my flash drive's name... but when I select it, it goes to bios! maybe my flash disk (windows 7 bootable) is not properly configured.

Thanks very much, I very appreciate your kind attention Eugene. :thumbsup:

7. rockhunter

rockhunter Pen Pal - Newbie

Both Liveupdate and the ASUS Member site are working again today and the ASUS Member site finally has the BOIS and Liveupdate install packages available which is a big change from just listing downloads of the Manual in a various lanquages.

8. illidanx

illidanx Pen Pal - Newbie

where is the bios? I only see the liveupdate software on Asus website (ASUSTeK Computer Inc. -Support- Drivers and Download ASUS VivoTab Smart)

9. rockhunter

rockhunter Pen Pal - Newbie

You are correct all I see now is the liveupdate utility for the wifi and the lte tablets I must have been mistaken.

10. eugenekim618

Sorry, I've been a little tied up. I will try and get to testing my Win8 USB Flash drive over the weekend.