Asus Vivotab Smart ME400 experience

Discussion in 'Asus' started by dinan, Jan 25, 2013.

1. Ravynmagi

Ravynmagi Scribbler - Standard Member

I've had my ME400 about a week. Mostly still like it.

Except the wireless I hate so much. The wireless is really slow to reconnect and I sometimes have to restart the tablet because despite being connected to a wireless access point, I can't access anything until I reboot. I didn't have these problems with my Samsung 500T tablet (wireless wasn't perfect on it either, but much better than this).

So I decided I'd run ASUS Live Update and see if there are any newer drivers yet. This thing worked fine the first couple days I had it. Now it says "Cannot connect to server" whenever I try to launch it. I figure I'll just download LiveUpdate from ASUS.com and reinstall it. But apparently ASUS doesn't make this tool available for download on their website, so I can't reinstall LiveUpdate.

Seems rather bizarre the tool needed for installing all of the drivers can't even be downloaded.

I start an online chat with ASUS Support regarding the Live Update error. "Kevin M" said he's look into the issue. About 15 minutes later the chat session just ended without him ever responding. I started a new chat session with support. And got "Kevin M" back again. Is it a coincidence or do they just use that name for everyone?

Kevin M tells me ASUS Live Update installation hasn't been released yet. He has no solution for my "cannot connect to server" error other than to wait for ASUS to release the installation file for Live Update. I asked if he could tell me when that would be, he could only say "shortly".

2. Ravynmagi

I decided to see if using my USB to ethernet adapter would help. Plugged it in, turned off the wireless. And tried ASUS Live Update. Well nothing happens now. Before I'd immediately get the "cannot connect to server" error. Now when I double tap the icon nothing happens at all. I waited about 10 minutes, but nothing. Rebooted and tried again, still nothing.

I checked the task manager and see Asus Eee LiveUpdate for Software running. But it's doing much of nothing. I ended the process and tried again. Still nada. Unplugged my ethernet and now it gives me the error.

3. icwhatudidthere

icwhatudidthere Pen Pal - Newbie

Sorry, can't help you with the error. But LiveUpdate does work for me, in fact, they just released the 1.0 drivers about an hour ago.

4. Loccy

Loccy Pen Pal - Newbie

Yep, mine's just updated too. Good timing too as I was toying with giving the HP chipset drivers a go. Had some weirdness yesterday where the device went into full standby (as opposed to connected sleep) for reason "battery". Battery was well over 70%.

5. Breed

Breed Scribbler - Standard Member

Hey guys, can I ask what the latest graphics drivers are with this update?

6. woodpecker

woodpecker Pen Pal - Newbie

I just got an ME400C today, ran the live update, now it is just stuck in an endless loop of "Preparing Automatic Repair" followed by "Diagnosing your PC" and the being told it couldn't repair.

I tried Reset your PC it says, "There was a problem while resetting your PC"

Refresh your PC, same

Try system recovery image recover - no image

System restore - No restore points

What a piece of crap, anyway to fix it from the command prompt?

7. Wrinkle

Wrinkle Pen Pal - Newbie

Same here. Updated the latest driver without any problem. Love this tab. Not sure why some people have problems with their tab, but unless they have done something wrong (shutting it off or resetting it during the update) I would try to get the tab replaced at the store.

8. icwhatudidthere

9. Ravynmagi

Well that blows. My update tool is broken and new updates come out and ASUS support can do absolutely nothing to help. :(
    I'm pretty surprised at how terrible ASUS has been with drivers considering they are a pretty big PC and tablet manufacture.

10. icwhatudidthere

What version of LiveUpdate do you have? When I first ran it, it actually updated itself and is now at 1.19.