Asus Vivotab Smart ME400 experience

Discussion in 'Asus' started by dinan, Jan 25, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. igorrj

igorrj Pen Pal - Newbie

Yeah, i gonna try later. Thanks again!

2. DanielNTX

DanielNTX Scribbler - Standard Member

Thanks for the BIOS! So you run install.cmd as Administrator. It installs two .inf files and exits. Then you reboot and then the screen goes to "Please wait while we install a system update..." And then it reboots into an AMI (American Megatrends Inc.) BIOS screen and flashes the EC and then shutsdown. Then you turn on the system again and boot.

You can verify your bios version by opening up a command prompt and typing "wmic bios get SMBIOSbiosversion" without the quotes.

3. illidanx

illidanx Pen Pal - Newbie

Good to hear that you were able to install it. Since I had this bios version from day 1, I don't really know what difference it makes. Have you noticed any difference yet?

4. rewsteruk

rewsteruk Pen Pal - Newbie

This post references the 3G/LTE (CL suffix) and Wifi Only (C suffix) Versions of the Vivotab Smart ME400

I bought the ME400CL (LTE/3G) version from amazon.de (as this is not available in the UK yet). Out of the box I was not able to connect to the internet due to a problem with the Mobile Internet, kept getting APN errors even though I knew they were correct, worked on my old tablet.

I thought I would share the information that I found to fix the issue.

The live update on the system (1.19) eventually detected that there should be a Driver Update Package 2.0 (64mb) for the CL version, BUT this would always download a corrupted zip file.

I downloaded Live Update 2.1.0.8, this detected my system as a ME400C, with Driver update Package 1.0 (34mb). Discovered that in the registry path HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\HARDWARE\DESCRIPTION\System\BIOS, the SystemSKU was ME400C, changed this to ME400CL. You can run the 'ME400CL Change SystemSKU to ME400CL.reg' below to change it for you. Run the live update program again and now the correct package appears and can be downloaded and installed. The value is reverted once the tablet is rebooted.

This path also shows the 'BIOSVersion' (ie 0403), so you can avoid updating the BIOS again when not needed, as it seems to show up in Live Update 2.1.0.8 even though it is already at the level shown.

Hope this helps someone.

Here are the files:

BIOS 0403 (posted by illidanx)
    BIOS_0403.zip

LiveUpdate 2.1.0.8.zip (posted by illidanx)
    ME400C Live update 2.1.0.8.zip

ME400CL Change SystemSKU to ME400CL.reg
    ME400CL Change SystemSKU to ME400CL.reg

These would probably be useful if you want to rebuild the system:

ME400C Driver Package 1.0.zip (Wifi Only) (Retrieved from Live Update)
    ME400C Driver Package 1.0 (785593678).zip

ME400CL Driver Package 2.0.zip (3G/LTE) (Retrieved from Live Update)
    ME400CL Driver Package 2.0 (818009093).zip

5. DanielNTX

DanielNTX Scribbler - Standard Member

Don't know yet, wish there was a change log.

6. johntw

johntw Pen Pal - Newbie

For those who might be interested. The Microsoft Wedge Mobile Keyboard and Wedge Mouse work perfectly with the VivoTab Smart. The keyboard's cover makes a great stand. Windows capacitive button is still usable. Not noticeable Bluetooth lag when using them.

FYI... I returned the Transleeve Transkeyboard combo. The Transleeve wouldn't attach properly to my tablet and the track pad was sporadic at best. No clear way to change pointer tracking speed nor turn off tap to click. I believe some Transleeve work better than others, and I have read that some have had success.

7. illidanx

illidanx Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks for this summary post. This post should be very useful for people who cannot connect to the update server. I have verified that the ME400C Driver Package 1.0 has the same MD5 hash as the file someone else posted on google docs a while ago.

8. Farbod

Farbod Pen Pal - Newbie

Thank you very much :thumbsup:

I run "install.cmd" file in windows, but nothing happened. I also tried running it from command prompt with administrator privilege, but nothing again. also tried running it from boot command prompt, but again the same!

Would you please let me know how I must install the update for ME400C?

Thanks a lot again. :)

9. bounty123

bounty123 Pen Pal - Newbie

Thank you, this was a really informative post. After updating to liveupdate 2.1.0.8 I have the same issue you mentioned, that it would like to install bios 0403 however it was installed long ago, it is obvious from the registry as well. Asus should really improve its software services for this tablet, it is horrible right now.
    However it works really great with the current drivers, so I'm not that upset about it.

10. mustangpony

mustangpony Pen Pal - Newbie

I using the Microsoft Wedge keyboard to type this reply. I really like it ! but I didn't buy the mouse. It's nice but I think it's too small for me. Now I just use a regular wireless mouse.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.