Asus Vivotab Smart ME400 experience

Discussion in 'Asus' started by dinan, Jan 25, 2013.

1. 150pilot

150pilot Pen Pal - Newbie

2. nick_white

nick_white Pen Pal - Newbie

How is the build quality? Any signs of flexing (especially in the center of the back cover and in the corners), or creaking (when "twisting" it slightly)?

3. Ravynmagi

Ravynmagi Scribbler - Standard Member

Got mine yesterday, here are my first impressions so far. I returned my Samsung 500T for this, so will make some comparisons.

For the most part the tablet feels nice in my hands. But the quality feels a little on the cheap side. The issue is the little plastic bezel that surrounds the glass and wraps half way around the edge. It meets with the soft touch back on the edge of the tablet and the seam feels a little rough. I wish they could have made the soft touch back wrap all the way to the glass without having that rough seam meeting on the edge. The plastic bezel flexes a little too. However I like the feel of this tablet a lot more than the glossy plastic backed Samsung 500T, it doesn't slip and the smaller size makes it more comfortable.

The capacitive button is a bit more troublesome than I expected. I usually have to tap it multiple times before it registers. And other times I accidentally brush against it when holding it in portrait mode. I find I tend to hold the tablet in portrait mode with the capacitive button near my left hand because I can rest my pinky finger under the lower left corner comfortably. If I flip it over with the camera side in my left hand, then the power button is pressed against my palm and I worry I might accidentally push it, also the seam on this side feels rougher than the other side (I might get some fine grain sand paper and try to rub this out a little). I miss the physical button on the Samsung 500T.

It has a single speaker on the lower left back. My hand cups around it and directs the sound towards me. It's okay for playing music, but listening to dialog is difficult since the volume doesn't get loud enough. Unfortunately my Samsung 500T had poor speakers too, even though they were front facing stereo speakers. Hard to say which is worse, they seem to both suck to the point I'll probably need to use headphones. But I'll give the Samsung a small bonus for being being in stereo and front facing. Both are pitiful compared to an iPad or Kindle Fire HD.

No complaints at all with the screen. It looks good to me, even at off angles. Yeah, the brightness fades a bit at an off angle, but even my iPad 4 does that, it's normal. The reflections seem normal too. I know some tablets like the Kindle Fire HD advertise some reduced reflection improvements, but I've never really noticed a difference. The screen gets nice and bright, seems about the same as the Samsung 500T. I set the brightness to 40% and that is nice and comfortable for me indoors.

When I bought my Samsung 500T, I wanted something that would be both a good tablet and a good netbook. Afterwards I realized I really wanted something that was a good tablet more and the Samsung 500T just wasn't good as either, too heavy and uncomfortable as a tablet, and driver issues with the keyboard made it too troublesome as a netbook. I felt I was better off spending $500 on something that will be a good tablet rather than $750 on something that was a mediocre tablet and netbook. And so far I feel like I finally made the right choice this time.

I'm using a Motorola bluetooth keyboard, this was made for Android tablets, but works well fine with the Windows 8 tablet (just has no Windows key). I need to find a better bluetooth mouse, the Microsoft bluetooth mouse is crap (scroll wheel is terrible). I don't have a wacom pen, only have a regular capacitive stylus. From my time with the Samsung 500T, I did find the wacom pen nice to have with the desktop apps, usually when trying to select or highlight multiple things. So I'll need to buy a pen for this tablet. I'm looking for suggestions.

4. dinan

dinan Pen Pal - Newbie

It's not bad. I expected worse buying an Asus to be honest. It's quite sturdy and flexes less than the Lenovo TPT2 I had. If you do flex or push in the right spots, it will creak a bit but it doesn't seem to be a sign of weakness, just gaps. Overall, it feels pretty solid in my hand without being overly heavy (like an aluminum based iPad).

Like the person above me said, the plastic rim around the edge where it meets the soft-touch of the back is a bit sharp and may be uncomfortable in certain positions... they should've smoothed that out.

5. Ravynmagi

Ravynmagi Scribbler - Standard Member

6. Dev_00

Dev_00 Pen Pal - Newbie

I don't believe there is any digitizer capabilities in the ME400 other than capacitive (simulates finger touch). Your best bet is likely the Jot Pro stylus, which seems to be the best iPad / capacitive one for accuracy.

7. mimi555

mimi555 Pen Pal - Newbie

helllo can anybody give me the link for liveupdate software which will work on asus vivotab Smart?

8. PedrooNL

PedrooNL Pen Pal - Newbie

Looking for the same thing.

9. PedrooNL

PedrooNL Pen Pal - Newbie

Looking for the same thing.

10. Loccy

Loccy Pen Pal - Newbie

Have just had exactly the same experience as the OP with the BIOS update messing up Windows 8. Mine has not mentioned a restore point, as I was doing a clean build and thought I'd do the driver and BIOS update up front. Instead mine is sitting there on "attempting repairs". How long should I give it? It's been at it for a good 20 minutes or so now.

Edit:
    Gave up and powered off and on, and it booted fine. Not sure if the BIOS update took though. There was an American Megatrends BIOS upgrade screen (American Megatrends - now there's a blast from the past)

Last edited: Feb 4, 2013