Asus Vivotab Smart ME400 experience

Discussion in 'Asus' started by dinan, Jan 25, 2013.

1. Ravynmagi

Ravynmagi Scribbler - Standard Member

Someday I wish to live in a world where a manufacture will release a product and release the associated accessories with it at the same time. It's a beautiful world I dream about every night. Then I wake up to this nightmare reality. When is that smart cover and keyboard coming for my tablet?? :(

2. vfrmaverick

vfrmaverick Pen Pal - Newbie

Anyone else having issues with the charger not charging when using the computer? Or even when not using. I need to find another 2amp one to test this out. To describe the problem better I get plugged in, not charging when I click on the battery button in the desktop. It does get very annoying to be plugged in yet not have it charge. It does recognize that the charger is in and the led power button lights up and the screen brightens up but the battery status just doesn't change.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2013
  3. icwhatudidthere

icwhatudidthere Pen Pal - Newbie

You get that with the provided Asus charger? What's the activity level of the computer?

I've tried other chargers, even 2amp chargers and they only charge when the machine is in standby or idle. The Asus charger is the only one that has consistently charged even while in use.

4. vfrmaverick

yes i do. its a very on and off thing. it shows the icons like its chqrging but the activity stays at "plugged in, not charging" and can swith to charging and back at random moments

5. icwhatudidthere

I found a reseller called PC Superstore that has them in stock. I've never ordered from them nor have I heard of them before. But the amount in stock has been going down slowly since I first checked and I've found a few reviews that say they're good. Prices look good, I may buy this afternoon.

6. icwhatudidthere

I think that may actually have to do with the load on the computer. If it's sucking lots of juice just to stay running, it won't be able to charge at the same time. Check your CPU activity level.

7. Wrinkle

Wrinkle Pen Pal - Newbie

What I think is happening here is that when the battery is quite low, a fairly high current is required to recharge it and the brick can't supply enough to run the tab and charge the battery at the same time. If you let the battery charge for a bit with the tab turned off (so that the battery has a chance to partially charge and thus requires less current), you may later be able to use the tab and still charge the tab, although at a slower rate. It's probably best if the tab is turned off or sleeping while charging the battery. Just my $0.02.

8. Loccy

Loccy Pen Pal - Newbie

Isn't the whole point of connected sleep that things like email etc can be pushed while the device is sleeping? It seems odd that it would deactivate the wifi at all; surely this would render connected sleep useless?

That said I have seen the device seeming to re-establish wifi after being power on from standby - oddly enough, it only seems to happen on the network at the office.

9. vfrmaverick

See but this isn't what was happening because even if I let it in sleep mode plugged in it wasn't charging. it would jump back and forth but stay at 49% charge. I first thought it was what you said until I left it charging overnight and it didn't charge. I tried a couole of other usb extensions which I use all to charge my iphone and had the same results then all of a sudden it starts working again.

10. Breed

Breed Scribbler - Standard Member

Try using a different wall outlet. Sounds stupid but it's worked for some people, for some reason.