asus vivotab note 8 USB broken? Here's how to fix.

Discussion in 'Asus' started by darkblu12, Oct 13, 2014.

1. bluntspoon

bluntspoon Pen Pal - Newbie

Has anyone found a place to order the IO board in the USA? I tried to order it from the link provided for the EU and America is not an option to pick from the countries provided. I never dropped the device but using it to read at night I often fumbled around with the charging cable getting it in place and at some point the port cracked. No more charging and that makes me a sad panda.

Attached Files:

2. fishdavis

fishdavis Scribbler - Standard Member

how are your replacement musb boards doing?

this tablet... it's almost wonderful in terms of being a 'take anywhere' sketchpad but my musb port has now started the death cycle. super sick of fixing bits on this thing (the replacement touch cable is intermittently cutting out again, haha)... considering buying a usb board replacement, or a unit with 'broken pen cable syndrome' on ebay, but ugh dumping more money into this only to have some bit break again in future makes me not particularly happy.

3. Yoyo

Yoyo Pen Pal - Newbie

I've long since lost track of how many times mine have been apart, and can now open it with my thumbnails in just a couple of minutes. Annoying to have to repair so much, but almost 3 years later there's nothing available to replace it.

4. fishdavis

sadly true. I will order the parts I guess, but sheesh... at least a lot of it is replaceable, gonna try and replace the battery as well which was draining a lot (when it was still charging haha)

5. Yoyo

Yoyo Pen Pal - Newbie

Ahh, the inevitable death of battery issue. Mine are getting weak too, as well as smelling like chemicals (leaking). If you change the battery- successfully or not- please post your experience so the rest of us can repeat your successes and not your errors.

6. fishdavis

cables arrived! replaced the touch cable (again) and the musb port, charging now. :) (your battery leaking sounds a little terrifying btw)
    the tiny white connector is very annoying to remove, recommend really fine pliers and a steady hand because the wires coming out of it are very fragile-seeming.

7. minigendo

minigendo Pen Pal - Newbie

My crimping the power connector seems to have bought me 4 months. Over the past few days, I'd noticed some oddities regarding the charge level of my Vivotab. It seemed to be loosing battery power, despite being plugged in.

I recrimped the plug, to no success. I tried a different cable, also no success. I found that shifting the charging cable could get the device to fail to recognize that the cable installed at all. It is still technically possible that the power adapter went, but that doesn't seem to agree with the previous observation.

That being the case, I shelled out for the replacement board from Asus parts. ImpactPC claims to have the board in stock, but I can't complete the transaction there due to mysterious errors during checkout. Shipping from the UK is... steep. At this point, I'm just hoping the replacement board will hold me over till the Lenovo Miix 320 with pen support gets released.

8. fishdavis

yep that sounds just like what happened to mine cept I didn't bother trying to delay the inevitable death haha...
    hope it fixes your problem, my charging issues are gone (I still haven't replaced the battery though I bought a spare).

9. Peter T

Peter T Pen Pal - Newbie

Recommend the following to minimise wear on mUSBs. Changed my life.

Wsken Xcable Mini 1 2 Micro USB Metal Magnetic Charging Cable

10. minigendo

minigendo Pen Pal - Newbie

I received the charging board from Asus parts today and performed the install. Everything seems to be working again.

It's peculiar because all things considered the original part doesn't look that damaged. Only the shell of the usb connector is obviously damaged. Perhaps it could be mended.

Regardless, my thanks to the thread for helping me to understand the issue and its fix.