asus vivotab note 8 USB broken? Here's how to fix.

Discussion in 'Asus' started by darkblu12, Oct 13, 2014.

1. thierryb

thierryb Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

glad to know

2. Franco

Franco Pen Pal - Newbie

... thanks for the awsome and helpfull advice. within 4 days the usb board arrived from the european source. change of the board needed about 30 minutes and it is charging again ...

... but my Problem is, that the avtn is hanging in the bios menue and don´t start the win10 System. after I press save & Exit or Exit it allways show again the bios menue.

Anybody an idea what could going wrong and how to save ??

thanks for help !

3. harko

harko Pen Pal - Newbie

Can you start from USB? Are all connectors from the USB part connected to the motherboard (it connects both up and down if you get what I mean)?

4. thierryb

Third surgery.
    I am better each time.
    Less than 10'
    Everything is working again
    Ordered 2 new boards
    Last time was 7 months ago, 1 board.

Bronsky likes this.
  5. ToniCipriani

ToniCipriani Scribbler - Standard Member

Mine just bit the dust, it was still working for a bit with the shell broken. Gonna stop by Asus Canada to see if they can order it for me.

EDIT: They outright said no, repair must be done by them... 125+tax labour inclusive.

EDIT 2: Guess I got lucky. Decided to play around it with the soldering iron, got it to charge again. 2 of the outer pins got disloged so just melted the solder a little to weld it back on the contact. Probably if it breaks again I might find a cell phone repair shop and replace the connector.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2016
  6. thierryb

Tell us, and take photos during repair by a cell phone repair shop.

7. ToniCipriani

ToniCipriani Scribbler - Standard Member

OK so my little repair was really short lived. The outer pins started snapping off again. Did it one more time but still need to wiggle the connector a bit before it works.

Looks like it really needs a new connector, or at least a reflow workstation to fix.

8. minigendo

minigendo Pen Pal - Newbie

After my Asus was knocked off a table while charging, I've noticed that the usb connector is a little loose. Testing things with a probe, the actual connection board is still quite firm, but it looks like the "shell", for lack of a better word, may be bulging. By shell I mean the exterior metal which defines the shape of the port. If I opened the unit up, could I crimp the shell back into place? Would that make my connection more firm?

My thanks for your time, and apologies for the inconvenience,
    David

9. thierryb

You will be able to do it, but i can not tell you if it will be enough.

10. minigendo

minigendo Pen Pal - Newbie

I carried out the operation. Using a pair of pliers I crimped the shell back into shape as best I could. I went out of my way to be gentle with it, so it was not as precise an operation as it might have been. Afterwards, my micro usb connector is much more firm in it's seating. It still has a bit of side to side wiggle, but it no longer tilts vertically.

I had not experienced any charging or connection issues, so I can't say if this will correct those. It is my hope that the male micro-usb head will now not put any undue torque on the actual board portion of the female connector, and hopefully at least postpone failure. Here's to hoping anyway.