asus vivotab note 8 USB broken? Here's how to fix.

Discussion in 'Asus' started by darkblu12, Oct 13, 2014.

1. riukas

riukas Pen Pal - Newbie

If USB port breaks by also tearing off part of PCB traces, it's quite hard to fix it by re-soldering. Looks like for this particular PCB it usually breaks exactly this way.

2. scirocco

scirocco Pen Pal - Newbie

Ok, that's good to know, thanks. The first symptoms were that nothing connected via USB OTG worked, but it was still charging fine. Now occasionally the cord has to be "massaged" to get the charge light to come on. And it seems to be losing charge faster than it used to. I'll open up the case and take a look at the port attachments to the PCB this week. Thanks for the info!

3. AnnAAyms

AnnAAyms Pen Pal - Newbie

This is more for information finding and precaution than an immediate need. Currently I don't have a problem (knock on wood) but the usb fragility does make me nervous and sometime I see on ebay usb broken Note 8s for a low price and if could be fixed might make a nice spare.

Anyway, I contacted ImpactComputers.com (per 2.0™'s earlier post) but they replied that they don't have the part and can't get it. Asusparts.eu does have it but making heads or tails of the end cost is making me leery. To note: I'm located in the United States so what I'm seeing is if anyone is aware of of any other sellers with the part, preferably in North America. Google searching "60NB04G0-IO1030" and "M80TA IO_BD./AS" lacked apparently useful results.

Thanks

Edit: I have also emailed a couple store that I saw listed when searching to see if they could get the part, if I find anything useful I'll pass on the information in case anyone else is looking for the part.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2015
  4. thierryb

thierryb Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

The photos are no more available, and my micro USB port is dying. I do not know how long I will be able to charge, and each time it is more and more difficult to succeed. I am lucky, the site is in France where I live. But please revive the photos.

5. atranzy

atranzy Pen Pal - Newbie

Basically you pry off the back covering and take out the little screws. There are 2 boards in the device, the main board which makes up most of the inside space and the USB connector (which is it's own board so make sure you get the right one). To get to the USB connector board, you have to first go through the main board, it's not necessary to completely remove the main board as you just need to lift it up to reveal the screws holding the USB board in place. From there, you remove the USB board and replace it with your new one and put all the screws back in.

Oh yeah and make sure there's no power running (disconnect the battery).

6. thierryb

thanks

7. thierryb

Just ordered two pieces for my both AVN8
    I will confirm soon if it is easy to do it by ourself.

8. thierryb

I received the usb board.
    I replaced it.
    I killed my front camera.
    But now it charges.
    And I write this post with it.

I was glad to have a second AVN8.
    But I am very happy to recover the first one .
    Thanks darkblue, atranzi and granki.

granki, I just read now your post.
    I will probably reopen the AVN8 to try to reconnect the front camera.

9. yéyé

yéyé Pen Pal - Newbie

Did you know, there, he search how to disconnect the camera for improving pen accuracy:
    http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/thr...ivotab-note-8-pen-touch-failure.63696/page-51

But the broken USB in the picture look like it can be soldered again (at least to see if the board is really a problem). The trick is to use flux pen for soldering. Very effective for the little pins around IC cause it avoid making bridge between the pins during soldering. It is super fast and accurate. Then you don't forget to wash with humid tissue the part you ink cause it keep reacting otherwise. Any electronic guy know the trick, otherwise it's impossible to be precise enough for SMD. Maybe so obvious nobody speak about it before.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2015
    fishdavis likes this.
  10. yéyé

yéyé Pen Pal - Newbie

I remember I heard that bay Trail support natively 1 port with USB 3.

Charging with a hub is not problem on almost all other tablet.

I wonder if there is somewhere an other board for USB improving this that would fit with ours AVTN8.

Sweet dream of course but it's my first thinking when I saw the picture.