asus vivotab note 8 USB broken? Here's how to fix.

Discussion in 'Asus' started by darkblu12, Oct 13, 2014.

1. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

Wow! Just saw the updated thread. Great job on the repairs. The ability to easily replace the USB port is an incredible plus for this device. Do you think this thread could be stickied too?

2. 2.0™

2.0™ Been Inkin' Staff Member

Stickied and renamed. :)

thierryb and Bronsky like this.
  3. Sandiegosd

Sandiegosd Pen Pal - Newbie

How often does this problem occur? I'm prepared for the touchscreen/digitizer freezing up but replacing USB port so it can charge is a bit too much

4. Sweetpea8472

Sweetpea8472 Scribbler - Standard Member

I've not had any problem with my USB port, nor has the second unit in our house.

5. Mesosphere

Mesosphere Geek. Senior Member

I've heard of these few cases of it breaking and one other case where it got bent (and some pliers fixed it)... so not very often.

This isn't really a problem with the tablet, any tablet is vulnerable to physical damage. Micro usb ports are fragile by nature. You should be careful with it. The Dell Venue 8 Pro seemed to have a lot more problems with broken USB ports (at least early on, I haven't kept up with it), but that could just be a larger user base.

6. 2.0™

2.0™ Been Inkin' Staff Member

7. graki

graki Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi atranzy,

You got my eternal gratitude : your description of the part and the process to replace it helped me to revive my "dead" M80TA, this was just this damn broken usb port, I'm very happy.

As a side note the camera connector on the usb mini-board got a white vertical "clipper" one should push 90° wise on the board to fasten the connection (figured this after 20 minutes of struggle about why I lost the front camera...)

Regards

thierryb likes this.
  8. LeanLee

LeanLee Pen Pal - Newbie

Pics are no longer available.

9. riukas

riukas Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi, can someone help me with the USB PCB problem (which probably made even more problems in other tablet parts) in this post please?

10. scirocco

scirocco Pen Pal - Newbie

My USB (and touch screen) have been flaky for awhile. I am finally getting around to the DIY repair, but this thread is pretty old, and some of the pics have been lost to time, so I am wondering what the best options are now. It seems like the original repair described in this thread replaced the entire board that the micro USB port was attached to which still costs around $46, shipped from the UK? Is there a better source (cheaper, or in the US)? Am I just setting myself up for a similar repair in the future since I am just swapping in a stock part which obviously have some higher than normal failure rate on the micro USB port? It looks like I could get just the port from ebay for around $6 and would just have to solder the old one off and replace, which I would feel comfortable doing based on the pics I have seen. Is this not a viable option? Just trying to get some feedback from someone who might have done this fix recently so I can budget for this and the screen repair... Thanks.

riukas likes this.