Asus VivoTab Note 8 Tips & Tricks

Discussion in 'Asus' started by dstrauss, Feb 27, 2014.

1. leomon32

leomon32 Pen Pal - Newbie

Go to the device the manager, find "Human Interface Devices" and expand it. You should see one called "HID-Compliant Touch Screen", just disable this one and the touchscreen will be disabled but not the pen~ Don't disable anything other than that. Re-enable to enable it of course.

2. Sweetpea8472

Sweetpea8472 Scribbler - Standard Member

And only do it as long as your pen is responsive :p (or you have a wireless mouse handy!)

3. sence

sence Pen Pal - Newbie

I am having a weird problem with my asus vivotab note 8....The clock speed of the processor is not going above 0.52GHz...I am feeling quite a lot of lag here and there....There are a lot of frame drops in asphalt 8 games and gt racing games too...I am on bios version 210...Dont know whats going on...I haven't installed any applications for overclocking or changing the clocks..I haven't uninstalled any asus's softwares preinstalled in the tab too..

Another problem I am facing is with the headphone jack...I have tried to connect a lot of headphones with 3.5mm jack.....As soon as I connect it to the tab, it detects the headphone...But within a second it is unplugging the headphone and audio is coming only from the tablet's speaker...Though when I keep the jack not fully plugged into the socket, audio is coming out of it...Any thoughts?.

EDIT:That processor clock issues seems to have gone now...I have done a full charging right now and after I boot it up, its performing normally...I remember one thing after updating bios from 207 to 210...After the update I used it normally..When the battery was at 10%, I plugged in the charger and charged it fully while the tablet is off...When its completely charged , I have switched on the device (dont remember whether the tab was connected to the power supply while I switched it on) and saw a message before the asus logo appears...If my memory is correct, it says something like installing "ec firmware" or something....Any way I noticed this clock issue after a day or so....

And that headphone problem is solved too...I just had to push it so hard and the headphone jack moved a millimetre into the socket...That was with some serious force...It shouldn't have been like that....Looks like I am the noobest of all the noobs... :D

Anyway I have couple of doubts...Could some one please tell me what exactly happens if we press the start+power+volume up keys together while booting...I am seeing a sand clock, but dont know what actually is happening.. :confused:

Another doubt is with the charging light indication....When the light changes from red to white, does that mean the battery is fully charged?..'cause at that time when I single press the power button (tab is off and connected to charger) , that battery indicator showing only upto 75%...Though, when I get into windows, its showing battery is fully charged...

Last edited: Sep 18, 2014
  4. Yoyo

Yoyo Scribbler - Standard Member

ButtonMod.jpg Hardware Button Remapping: Need more buttons?

You can have access to 2 more shortcuts using AutoHotkey or similar using the following hardware hack.

I read this:

http://icosidodecahedron.com/?cat=5

and noted that the Surface has a flimsy volume rocker that allows the user to use one button as a modifier and the other as a regular button. Tried it on the VTN8 and no go- the rocker is too stiff to allow both up and down to be pressed at once.

Then my digitizer stopped working again, had to open the case to reseat the digitizer cable. While in there I noticed that even a caveman could remove a tiny part of the rocker and eliminate the 'fulcrum action' (technical term) of the rocker. I used a dremel type tool to do the dirty work. ButtonMod.jpg

I can report it works as hoped. The two buttons work normally, but can be pressed together. So now it is possible to assign a shortcut to 'Volume up + Volume Down' and another to 'Volume Down + Volume Up'.

fishdavis, Mesosphere and AriWS like this.
  5. Largrande

Largrande Pen Pal - Newbie

thank you Yoyo for the tip. I used sharpkeys to remap the windows hardware button on the left side to the TapTip.exe. Just make a lint to the TapTib.exe on the desktop give the link a shortcut and remap the hardware button with sharkeys

6. 2.0™

2.0™ Been Inkin' Staff Member

Alternative method for accessing the BIOS: (Because the hold power button & VOL - at power up is finicky)...

• Bring up Charm from right-hand side
    • Click "Settings"
    • Click "Change PC Settings" in the bottom
    • Click "Update and recovery" on the left pane
    • Click "Recovery" on the left pane
    • On right pane, under "Advanced startup" section, click "Restart now" button. This will restart the tablet and boot into Advanced Recovery Options.

• Once reboot...

• Click "Troubleshoot" button
    • Click "Advanced options" button
    • Click "UEFI Firmware Settings"
    • Click "Restart" button and this will bring up the BIOS.

The BIOS is touch enabled in this mode.

HeavyHanded likes this.
  7. Jet_Stream

Jet_Stream Pen Pal - Newbie

Wanted to boot in safe mode but startup settings is not touch enabled, keyboard don't work also:confused:

Any workaround??:vbconfused:

I tried the disable secure boot on BIOS/UEFI from a MS Surface Pro thread but it only worked once but doesn't work anymore:(

8. 2.0™

Yeah, I gave it a try too and sure enough, you can't get into safe mode that way.

You likely have to disable Bitlocker first before attempting to enter safe mode.
    If keyboard function is still disabled after that... then... idunno. Will have to look into it.

9. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

USB keyboard?

10. 2.0™

Funny enough, I tried a USB keyboard... thinking that I read that he tried a USB keyboard.

It didn't work. I even tried it by connecting to it before going into safe mode to make sure the connection worked beforehand. Used an OTG connector also.