Asus VivoTab Note 8 Tips & Tricks

Discussion in 'Asus' started by dstrauss, Feb 27, 2014.

1. Medmaps

Medmaps Pen Pal - Newbie

2. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

Okay, here's one. Check your screen protector before you install it. The screen protector I just installed, labeled matt/anti-glare, was not.:mad: it's staying for now. I don't like the feel of touch or writing anywhere near as much as the matt SP.

3. Mesosphere

Mesosphere Geek. Senior Member

Was this in the same pack as for you first tablet or did you order new ones? More to the point, which one had the false advertising that we should be avoiding?

4. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

Yes, it was the matt screen protector from Germany in the link I posted. They came as 3 individual packages in an envelope. The first one was matt, the second, not so much so.:rolleyes: I am guessing that the packaging might have clued me in if I could have read a word or two of German. So would my vision if I had taken the time to look. I noticed the issue as soon as I started to scroll. The matt SP had a certain feel that was distinctive. The pen too, had a unique feel on the matt SP. I'm not crazy about the normal one. At this point, I'll leave it on rather than use my last one. If I see something I can get locally, I'll jump on it.

5. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

Google Translate is your friend, and if unsure, post a link here and we will take a look and help you.

Sent from my SC-01F using Tapatalk

6. testplayer

testplayer Scribbler - Standard Member

Anybody tried to access the BIOS and boot from USB drive or SD card?

7. ananimus

ananimus Pen Pal - Newbie

I did this calibration method. I was trying to correct the couple of places in the middle of the screen (esp. around the speaker) where the line would get distorted. Eventually I decided to remove it. IIRC, because it only helped calibration in landscape mode.

Trying to revert to using the Tablet PC Settings calibration caused a new problem though. After any reboot, there were two places on the screen where the cursor would jump while inking. The worst was in landscape when drawing a line vertically downward within almost an inch of the speaker. Any time I'd draw down through that space, the line would jump to a certain pixel, making inking and selection in that area useless.

I found that resetting calibration in Tablet PC Settings fixed it, but this also didn't survive a reboot. When I tried to rerun the tabcal command, it would complain I needed to clear old data first (even if I already had!). That's when I found this thread, toward end of first post: [HOW TO] PROPERLY calibrate your PEN and fix those stupid corners (273 test points) - xda-developers

Basically it seems like the command line calibration gets saved to some registry entry that needs to be renamed or cleared. Also it seemed like that renaming doesn't survive a reboot (?!) on the AVTN8. So in the end I just deleted the registry entry.

Anyway, the rest of the panel is quite accurate enough for note taking and cursoring just using the 4-point calibration, so I'm still happy.

8. thatdude90210

thatdude90210 Pen Pal - Newbie

I remember someone mentioned that the power button doesn't always wake the AVN8, and someone else suggested using the Windows button on the other side instead. That works well, but might not be feasible if you have it sitting up on a case stand (that button would be on the bottom).

Using the power button to wake works fairly well, at least on mine, if I hold it for maybe half a second.

9. netkillercat

netkillercat Pen Pal - Newbie

Tip been runing virtualbox with android and linux lite and i most say if config right it works well specially linux lite runs just right in full screen makes it look like is native and is fast enough lol virtualbox has windows 8 touchscreen support so it makes it easy to use on tablet

10. pchan

pchan Pen Pal - Newbie

Been using Asus note 8 for 2 months now and very happy with it.

What i have tweaked and installed so far. (some of the Tweaks I learnt from reading lowyat acer w4 forum. Thanks to marauderz and others ...)

1. change windows update to become manual instead of auto.

2. Disabled bitlocker encryption of drive. (i have other ways to hide secrets :) so no need bitlocker)

3. Calibrated the screen to make the stylus work better

4. installed touchmousepointer (Highly recommended)

5. turn off too many live tiles on the windows rt screen.

6. disabled asus cloud storage auto startup.

7. disabled skydrive auto login.

8. change log in pc to 4 numbers key instead of typing in password

9. can't remember ...

So, that is my long story.

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015