Asus VivoTab Note 8 Tips & Tricks

Discussion in 'Asus' started by dstrauss, Feb 27, 2014.

1. Sirnumbskull

Sirnumbskull Pen Pal - Newbie

Update: Got it working with the latest update to Photoshop (14.2.1). That said, it appears that the pen's pressure sensitivity settings are all contained between barely touching the tablet at all and just gently touching the tablet. Anyone know of a way to calibrate pressure or adjust where that range is interpreted?

2. SAM 2013

SAM 2013 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Thanks for the tip, it now floats, but is still HUGE.
    I cannot get it to resize down very small,
    the onscreen keyboard can be scaled 3x smaller.

Is there a hack to make it smaller(the new keyboard)

3. thatdude90210

thatdude90210 Pen Pal - Newbie

Anybody using something like Malwarebyte with their AN8? It's a tablet... but it's still Windows. I'm new to Windows tablet,

4. cheflo

cheflo Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi guys,
    I have had my tablet for almost a week now and have come across a few tips that I would like to share:

Software
    Pen button remapping
    Building upon a couple of already existing AutoHotkey scripts, I put together a script that lets you remap the pen button to any key press of your liking. I have used it to map a click while hovering to undo and a click while touching the screen to middle mouse button. Obviously, you need to unmap ‘Use pen button as right click’ or whatever it is called in the control panel, which is redundant anyways since we have long click.

I attach my script and to run it you need AutoHotkey and the script AHKHID.ahk. I put some effort into commenting properly and making it more understandable. Read it through and modify what you want. The least amount of effort you need to put in is to point the script to where you downloaded AHKHID.ahk, then you can remap the buttons if you are not happy with undo and middle click. I like them though, undo has obvious uses in OneNote and is faster than strikeout and erase. Middle click is nice for opening links in new tabs and navigating long pages (although somewhat finicky since it might also left click). To have the script run on startup, put a shortcut in the startup folder (for me that is C:\Users\Username\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup)

It would be great if someone with a two button pen could test what buttons are detected from that pen (an educated guess is 4 and 5, but still). Also, if someone could test a pen with an eraser, that would be interesting as well. I don’t think it would be possible to remap the pen button to erase, as that does not correspond to any specific key press iirc, but is rather a specific thing from Wacom. But it should be possible to remap the erase button to something else in addition to erase, in case anyone fancies doing this. To test this, you need to run the first and second example that can be downloaded from the github page of AHKHID.ahk, so you might as well download the entire zip, which is not big. In the GUI of the first example, you will find out the the 'User Page' and 'Usage' IDs of your device (listed under 'others', not 'mouse'). I guess they should be the same as for me, which was 13 and 2 respectively. You will need to input these numbers in the GUI of the second example to grab all the events from the pen. Click 'Add' and then 'Call' and bring the pen towards the screen and all sorts of fin things will appear on the screen! The key is to look at the forth character of the data column, which will change depending on the buttons you press and if the pen touches the screen. Let me know what you see!

Another way to remap buttons is listed here http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/software/54656-remapping-eraser-wacom-tablet-pen.html, but I could not find the mentioned files so I guess Wacom doesn’t have their full win7 driver set out yet for Win8/this tablet

Here is the file View attachment pen_button_remap.txt . I had to change the extension to '.txt' to be allowed to upload it , so you will need to change it back to '.ahk' to run it with AutoHotkey. When viewing the code a tip is to use notepad++ since you might have it installed already and by setting the language to 'Autoit' you get proper syntax highlighting, which makes it easier to read (yay, colors!).

The disclaimer goes like this: I am not a programmer and I have barely worked with AutoHotkey before, so I do not know if this script could have any side effects such as increased battery consumption since it is monitoring the input from the pen constantly. I have not seen this so far (only used it for one day), but please test and let all of us know.

TouchMe Gestures
    This is a great piece of software from the windows store (apparently not a contradiction in terms any longer), which allows you to map hand gestures to any key press combination. I use it for adjusting volume and brightness with imaginary knobs as well as turning the screen off, pulling up the keyboard when I need it, showing the taskbar from autohide, and some other things.Three or four finger tip-tap is also great for undo, it is easily pulled off holding the stylus and tapping with the thumb.

It costs 4 dollar and there is currently a bug in brightness decrease for the AVN8, but the developer is super friendly and I have been guinea pigging some patches to remedy this issue. Hopefully, he will figure out a way that is stable enough for release soon.

F.Lux
    Most of you probably know this by now. Save your eyes while staring closely at a small screen during night time.

Hardware
    <del>A given seems to be a 128GB micro SD Amazon.com: Kingston Digital 128 GB Secure Digital Memory Card (SDX10V/128GB): Computers & Accessories Only 80 bucks! </del>
    EDIT: Haha, wooooops! That's what happen when you go amazon shopping late at night kids! There is no micro anywhere in that card name so I guess I will be preparing my return label and wait for the real 128 GB micro sd cards to drop closer to the price of two 64 GB cards so it feels more justifiable to buy one. Thanks for being awake lonaysta.
    Still testing keyboards, screen protectors, stands and pens. To be updated&#8230;

Random Tweaks
    • You can shutdown your tablet by holding the power button instead of going into the charms menu
    • Screenshot is volume down + windows button
    • If you have problems with autorotate not working, go to &#8216;Device Manager>Sensors>InvenSense Sensor Collection&#8217; and disable and then reenable the device.
    • In Control Panel >> Pen and Tablet, it is possible to set shortcuts to pen flicks. Like diagonal up right opens a program. I find it finicky to get to work, but some might like it.
    • I had a dream&#8230; about having a case with my Nexus 7 on one side as a secondary monitor to the cell on the other side sending the image over usb to get that elusive dual screen foldable tablet. There is some android software for this, but now I think I will be content with just a screen protector since most cases out there adds so much bulk not to mention the bulk from having two tablets in them&#8230;
    Lastly, is there any chance that we can have the first post updated with the most useful tips? I understand it requires some work, but it would be great for new people once the thread gets longer (and for oldies remembering that the read something useful somewhere once upon a time. Doesn&#8217;t have to be more frequent than once every 5-10 pages or something like that. If people stay on topic it will not be too much to go through!

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  5. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

There is a little known applet in Win7/8 named Sticky Notes, and they do exactly what you expect, put little Post-it notes on your Desktop screen. They are also inking aware. Try this; Search charm > s-t-i- and then click. You can change the color of the note, that way categorizing them and when you click the application icon on the taskbar they are minimized, click again and they reappear. This one is imminently useful on the AVN8.

HdNote8, thatdude90210 and cheflo like this.
  6. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

Since we have some lawyers here (you know who you are) I discovered something that could be beneficial for those who produce a lot of text (affidavits anyone?). Speech Recognition works like a charm on this device. It takes a little work around and it isn't pretty looking (more on aesthetics later) but it is efficient.
    First, forget the built in microphone, just won't cut it.
    Instead get a USB speaker/mic splitter and a microUSB to USB OTG converter.
    Connect the headset and start up Windows Speech Recognition, it even understands a non-native speaker like me.
    If you need more power there is a software called Dragon Dictate that also have a legal module so you get a big specific vocabulary for the legal profession. And if the aesthetics worry you, perhaps one of those Bluetooth mics for phones can be used. The newer version probably have sound quality that is good enough. Haven't tested it though.

Rodney likes this.
  7. Mesosphere

Mesosphere Geek. Senior Member

One problem with that may be that the OP has decided to return his tablet.

8. cheflo

cheflo Pen Pal - Newbie

To add to this simple but brilliant tip (who knew sticky notes accepted inking? thanks!), I discovered that undo does not work on the handwriting, but the scratch out feature does! And I have much better luck with four horizontal strokes compared to three. With a big sticky as my desktop, this truly feels like a replacement to paper, no need to start any program to scribble down things to remember for later.

9. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Is there any way to cede the thread to another user who would like to keep up the listing that cheflo suggested? Steve - can this be done?

BTW - cheflo - excellent set of suggestions, particularly the TouchMe gestures - brilliant.

10. thatdude90210

thatdude90210 Pen Pal - Newbie

This is new to me & probably others also new to Windows tablets. Chrome for windows 8.1 has some gesture controls. Flick (or drag screen) to the right to go back a page, and to the left to go forward. Works with the stylus or a finger. Almost like Flipboard. I haven't seen Chrome do that in my Android tablets before.

The gestures doesn't seem to work in IE except in MS' own MSN site going to next story.