Asus VivoTab Note 8 Tips & Tricks

Discussion in 'Asus' started by dstrauss, Feb 27, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. e-schreiber

e-schreiber ƒ(x) / fashion Senior Member

Since you started the thread, you could -- if time allows you -- edit the first post once in a while to reflect the best tips/tricks people have posted. Either with the full quoted description of the tips, or, at a minimum, with a link to the post where the tip was posted.

Again, if time allows you. :)

2. ukulekci

ukulekci Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi guys,

My battery drains more than %10 at nights with only facebook and mail synchronization(I am not sure, if there are some other softwares or updaters running.)

If someone can explain what to do about battery drain issues or some tips and tricks about battery save, it will be appreciated.

Thanks.

3. wickeddeus

wickeddeus Pen Pal - Newbie

Maybe this is the wrong thread, but what are some must have programs to have for a tablet with a wacom stylus input?

4. llatnik

llatnik Pen Pal - Newbie

Cool tip:
    You no longer need wintab drivers to use pressure sensitivity in Photoshop
    link

Cool trick:
    Pen feels too narrow?
    remember those rubber things we used to put on pencils when we were in Primary (elementary) school?
    They work great on styluses, and are very comfortable for serious sketching sessions.
    They also cost nothning and fit in any pocket.
    STILL not comfy enough?
    try a pencil holder, but dont use a metal barreled one or your stylus wont work, because magnets.

Cool tip:
    Screen too cramped in your art program?
    Use modlock and shortcut your hide panels button.

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
    Crowfeather likes this.
  5. llatnik

llatnik Pen Pal - Newbie

Program tips eh?
    Well I've only been a professional illustrator for a couple of years now and though I've worked both digitally and with traditional media I'm no great expert, so have the salt ready.

Photoshop.
    It's the be all and end all for good reason, very powerful, very versatile.
    No easy to start out.... or at least it WAS, now we all have an internet connection and access to youtube, so training is available and inexpensive (internet and electricity bills yo, still cheaper than Uni)

Newer versions of Photoshop are more versatile, but older versions will fill almost all your needs, certainly all of your non professional ones. Also remember that older versions will run better on a tablet, and range from cheap to FREE depending how far back you go version wise.

Corel Painter
    This program is a must have for people wanting to illustrate digitally but use some more traditional style tools. There is an ever improving emulation of traditional media, and for someone seeking to express a more traditional feel, it simply cant be beat.
    It is however quite daunting to get to grips with as the tool options are quite simply labyrinthine . It will run well on less powerful machines, but be aware the software itself is also quite expensive.

Manga Studio 5
    From version 5 and above it has really become a contender as an illustrating tool.
    For straight up drawing it is much better than Photoshop, but there are things that Photoshop can do that Mangastudio cannot outside the illustrating arena.
    Mangastudio is relatively inexpensive, fairly accessible, and has page and text layout options that while made for comics, works well for other potentially commercial uses.
    Their new vector illustrating capabilities are also staggeringly cool and well worth your time to investigate
    It is what i personally recommend, and again: Training for all of these is immediately accessible on YouTube.

Adobe Illustrator, and Adobe Indesign
    While not drawing programs specifically, these will let you do something with your work.
    like photoshop, there are older versions that are cheaper to free, and youtube can assist you with any element of training you need.
    learning and using these can be highly profitable so their usage is recommended.

Finally there is Modlock, while not an illustrating program it is indispensable as it gives small customisable keys on the screen, that you can set to toggle, timer hold, or just press.
    It's free and incredibly useful.

Lastly a word on skill;
    Tablets are not a magical key to illustrative ability, if they were, every kiddie on DA would be the next Byrne Hogarth.
    All of these programs are tools to express your skill, and your skill is how you express your creativity.
    Without well developed skills there will be NO pipeline from your creativity to your tools.
    I would recommend the following (inexpensive, fast, and enormously enjoyable and satisfying) course of study in the form of these books, in this order;

1) Betty Edwards Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain: WORKBOOK ($20 on amazon)
    This book will give you a primer in visual literacy if you will, it is fundamental and indispensable, but also applicable to any visual field, or skill level.

2)Andrew Loomis Drawing the Head and Hands, and Figure Drawing for All it's Worth
    Both freely available as PDFs or purchasable in reprint for about $30 each these will give you a grounding in competently describing the human figure as well as an understanding of surface planes.

3) Betty Edwards Color: A Course in Mastering the Art of Mixing Colors
    Returning to the work of Dr Betty Edwards, here you will learn about colour and how to make colour work that doesn't look like 90% of DeviantArt.

No matter what style you intend to do, be it Hyper realism, 50's American pinups, Anime, Western Cartoon, or Faustian Ponies; You need an educated understanding of the core language of visual communication or you will be unable to produce abstractions of it, which is what stylized illustration is, an abstraction of an understood form.
    Without an understanding you will not produce an abstraction, merely a bad description.

So yes, my main tip is learn skills, and after that even MS paint will allow you brilliant results.

Hope that helps.

6. lonaysta

lonaysta Scribbler - Standard Member

*Dale, please allow me to take the liberty to reserve this space for my update on tips & tricks for Asus Vivotab Note 8. I'll update everything only in this reply and continuously edit it.
    Different from general reviews and discussions, I'll place some more conclusive ideas here to match the topic.

As for now, I'd like to address that, different from the 32G version, the 64G version does not come with a recovery micro SD card pre-installed. Instead, it has a hidden recovery partition. However, this difference is not reflected from the package. Some people like me may go looking for the missing recovery micro SD card - there is no one. Thanks to Mesosphere.

Second thing, about the "coating" on the screen that makes it rough. This can not be cleaned with alcohol. Two possible solutions till now: one is to apply the anti-fingerprint coating as Dale mentioned, the other is to get a good screen protector, for which this community is still searching.

Third, the edge issue. For note takers, the best advice I've seen so far is to adjust the layout of your OneNote to avoid using the left and right edges to write. And, try turn off pressure sensitivity and see if you prefer this way. These suggestions are from SAM 2013.

Forth, the pen. For light note-takers, this pen might be enough. However, if you are a heavy note-taker, or a professional artist/designer, you may need to find a bigger one. I believe all active Wacom pens are compatible. (Isn't it?)

Last edited: Mar 5, 2014
  7. llatnik

llatnik Pen Pal - Newbie

It will work with pens from other digitiser devices, like the stylus from my HP TM2 (the eraser on top also works) and with the stylus from my galaxy note, but NOT with a cintiq/bamboo/intuos/graphire etc pen.

There was a really cool colour coded list of what wacom styli works with what devices, i cant find it though.

8. SAM 2013

SAM 2013 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I believe they are called "penabled" Wacom pen/stylus's

I know these work:

The Surface Pro pen
    Wacom Cross Stylus
    Motion Stylus
    HP 2710 stylus
    Galaxy Note 1,2,3 pens

Others are welcome to add to this list.

9. llatnik

llatnik Pen Pal - Newbie

yyyyup they totally are, and i wish they would be smarter and actually brand them all with that name so you could more easily search for different compatible styli, on websites like amazon and ebay etc.

There's also the separate Wacom branded "bamboo stylus feel" which doesn't work with any Bamboo devices, just penabled ones, that's why they called it .......Bamboo..... because they're jerks.

The naming conventions and compatibilities for these devices and their pens are a complete clusterfun

Oh I also read on this site somewhere that old Intuos gen 1 (only) pens will work, but I've not had the opportunity to try one. I know penabled pens use the old (I think) UD system so it stands to reason it'd work, but again, i haven't tested it personally

update!, Heres more clear info from someone smarter sounding

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  10. aarick

aarick Pen Pal - Newbie

Besides OneNote, Drawboard PDF is a must for me. I use it to review, annotate and sign PDF documents. There is an issue with flattening annotation at the moment, but the developers have said that they have found the issue and will fix it in the next update.