Asus VivoTab Note 8 Tips & Tricks

Discussion in 'Asus' started by dstrauss, Feb 27, 2014.

1. LeanLee

LeanLee Pen Pal - Newbie

Hope this qualifies as a viable comment, but **any** port or display adapter that is running DisplayLink drivers (pretty much any Port Replicator / Hub) will be using a lot of the hard drive - constantly.

If you doubt this then install Process Hacker 2 (SourceForge) and watch the drive activity. These tablets have an MMC which is based on a Solid State Drive (SSD) and while they do have wear leveling, the DisplayLink drivers will be eating SSD life.

I am not saying do not use them, just be aware that your internal drive is taking a bit of a beating and SSDs have a finite wear life.

2. Mesosphere

Mesosphere Geek. Senior Member

Why does this happen? Does it use too much ram so that it must use the pagefile?

3. LeanLee

LeanLee Pen Pal - Newbie

Nope, it is the DisplayLink drivers. I have no idea why or what they need the SSD/MMC for. The PageFile sometimes features in the list too, but I have no idea what might be triggering that. The PH2 software just reports what is sending the requests for read/write, not what is happening internally of the software making the requests.

By the way, Reads are free on an SSD/MMC, it is the Writes that cause the wear.

4. ablahblah

ablahblah Pen Pal - Newbie

I THINK I got it. To get into the BIOS, you turn on the tablet normally (press power, hold, let go), and as soon as the blue camera LED comes on, then you hold down power and volume down (Vol-). That should get you into BIOS.
    I was also able to get a USB keyboard working over USB OTG! I locked myself out with a BitLocker PIN setting, and after fiddling around with the BIOS somewhere, I managed to get the keyboard working. I think disabling Fast Boot was one of them, I'll double check. Make sure you're using a run of the mill usb keyboard though, nothing flashy that might require drivers.

edit:: the sequence that I followed, I don't know if it matters, is I used the BIOS to switch the USB mode from XHCI to EHCI first. Turned the computer off, turned it on, USB keyboard did not work via the USB OTG adapter. Gave it a confused look, used the BIOS to switch USB mode back from EHCI to XHCI, also disabled Fast Boot, and rebooted. My keyboard worked from then on I believe.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2015
    2.0™ likes this.
  5. nati

nati Pen Pal - Newbie

hi everyone,
    i created a tiny app that automatically opens the touch keyboard (tabtip.exe) when entering a text box in desktop mode.

i took the idea from here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1992361&page=5
    i just wanted to create a small dedicated app that doesn't requiere to install autohotkey or autoit.
    ( since as an avn8 user i count the free space on my c: drive every day... :) )

this tool can be useful for working with text or code editors like notepad, eclipse, visual studio etc...
    to install simply put the exe file somewhere on your disk and create a shortcut to the startup folder.

update:
    i recompiled it using vb2010 so it would use .net 4.0 - instaed of 3.5 which is not included in win8.1,
    and i added another tool that makes the touch keyboard transparent, see readme.txt for more info...

updated download link:
    https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=E7D8E4B65A32DD0E!105
    source code included (vb.net 2010)

Last edited: May 30, 2015
    2.0™ and Yoyo like this.
  6. Yoyo

Yoyo Pen Pal - Newbie

Clever, nati.

I had to manually call up the keyboard to write this reply. Maybe I'll try your solution.

7. WillAdams

WillAdams Scribbler - Standard Member

I tried a similar utility, but found it maddening 'cause when it popped up, the keyboard would often cover things which I wanted to see (it's just _huge_ on a 1280 x 800 display) --- would it be too difficult to offer an option to instead have a control widget by the text field which will pop up the keyboard / writing area as was done in Windows XP an earlier?

8. nati

nati Pen Pal - Newbie

ok, in attempt to solve that issue i created another tool that makes the virtual keyboard transparent...
    i've uploaded it to the same onedrive folder that posted above, it's called "taptiptrans.zip".
    i also added a readme file that have some info of the two tools.

please note that taptiptrans requires administrative elevation in order to work correctly.

Last edited: May 30, 2015
    Mesosphere and Marty like this.
  9. 2.0™

2.0™ Been Inkin' Staff Member

Nati, brilliant! I'm going to play with it for a while but so far, so good!

10. flaneige

flaneige Pen Pal - Newbie

How to put the tablet in hibernation mode ? I can't find the option