Asus VivoTab Note 8 Tips & Tricks

Discussion in 'Asus' started by dstrauss, Feb 27, 2014.

1. HJK

HJK Scribbler - Standard Member

I'm scanning these tops in preparation for the arrival of my wife's now AVN8. I want to set it up for her to be super easy to use and bug free.
    One big question--any tips on managing stored memory? I bought the 32 gb version. My 64 gb Asus T100 had over 32 gb used up by me after the first day! I have been looking for some workaround that would allow me to install Metro apps on the micro sd card, to no avail. If anyone knows how to do this, I will be very, very happy.

2. HJK

HJK Scribbler - Standard Member

I'm not sure if this is the right thread for such a question--can anyone recommend ways to improve the quality of photos for both cameras front and back (but back, especially)?
    Thanks!

3. Mesosphere

Mesosphere Geek. Senior Member

The cameras aren't great. All I can say is well lit areas and hold the tablet as still as possible. But that you probably already knew =)

4. WillAdams

WillAdams Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Nifty!

Only problem is one has to re-do this if one should close Journal.

5. Sandiegosd

Sandiegosd Pen Pal - Newbie

Got my refurb AVN8. Initially the stylus didn't work out of the box. The Samsung note pen I bought separately worked. Then somehow the stock pen started working and is more accurate than the Samsung.

Any idea how to calibrate the Samsung note pen to make it better?

6. Sandiegosd

Coming from a surface pro 3 I g8nf so many things missing. Screen size will take some time to get used to. and Onenote 2013 doesn't support pinch and zoom!(OrI'm not aware of how to turn it on). More rants coming.

7. Mesosphere

Mesosphere Geek. Senior Member

You won't be able to simultaneously have both the Samsung and the silo pen properly calibrated. The Samsung pens seem to have the antenna for the LC circuit sitting closer to the nib. This helps with parallax and edge performance, but since it is different from most Wacom EMR pens the calibration is different. Personally I just calibrate it to the samsung pen since that is the one I use the most.

The problem with the pen not working out of the box is probably an early symptom of your ribbon cable to you digitizer board already starting to fail. You should see the stickied DIY fix thread (also linked in my sig) if you havent already. Most people seem to have their stock ribbon cables fail at some point. It is like a 10 minute fix though.

It most certainly does support pinch to zoom. I'm unaware of how to toggle it. It is usually enabled by default.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2015
  8. Sandiegosd

sorry, I meant the metro version of OneNote. Installed 2013 and it does support zooming, but I prefer the metro version with the radial menu for handy pen switching(I have to go full screen mode on the 8" screen)

Last edited: Feb 24, 2015
  9. Jet_Stream

Jet_Stream Pen Pal - Newbie

Clover 3 is google chrome like tabbed browsing for windows explorer for fast folder access which is pretty neat for this little tablet

You can download it here

10. music_ismath

music_ismath Pen Pal - Newbie

I highly recommend installing and enabling the Chrome Remote Desktop extension especially if you don't have a keyboard. Saved my butt when recalibrating touch/pen seriously messed things up for me (couldn't even login it was so screwed up, no idea what I did wrong). Just remoted in with my phone and reset the calibration data; crisis averted without needing to leave my bed lol.

Another application I find invaluable is Dexpot - it gives you multiple virtual desktops and works great. I configure it so that double tapping the system tray icon brings up the full catalog of applications and you can just drag them to whichever desktop you want.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2015