Asus VivoTab Note 8 Tips & Tricks

Discussion in 'Asus' started by dstrauss, Feb 27, 2014.

1. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

There has been so much excitement, first with the release of the 32GB model, and now with the "inadvertent" release of the 64GB model, that it is time to start a "Tips" thread...

PLEASE KEEP ALL POSTS TO TIPS AND TRICKS ONLY - NO REVIEWS OR IDLE CHIT CHAT
    (That's mostly a warning for my benefit...:eek:)...

2. jhoff80

jhoff80 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

3. SAM 2013

SAM 2013 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Test your screen for dead spots as reported by some memebers.
    (Some have reported rough spots too. It varies from unit to unit)

Get a soft cloth and isop. alchohol, you will need it for the screen.
    (It is a finger print magnent, but you only see them when the screen is off)

If you do alot of handwriting, use or get a full sized Wacom digitizer pen.
    (The stylus stick is great for casual pointing and clicking)

Buy your computer early
    (So you do not get Straus' return...LOL)

Bronsky, dellaster, soh5 and 2 others like this.
  4. jhoff80

jhoff80 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I got stuck in the BIOS/firmware settings before I had my OTG adapter - if you tap on a submenu then there's no apparent way to get back to the previous screen, and the volume buttons don't actually do anything. I was stuck for a pretty long time before realizing the solution.

As it turns out, the descriptions in the bottom right (listed below) are actually buttons you can tap on to perform that action:

So, tapping on the ESC text brings you back a screen.

Crowfeather likes this.
  5. HvdS

HvdS Pen Pal - Newbie

6. agraham

agraham Pen Pal - Newbie

As this is Windows 8 unfortunately the GPS is only accessible using the Windows Sensor API so if you want to use it with a desktop app that expects the GPS to send NMEA sentences through a COM port, like AutoRoute or MemoryMap, then you can use Localizer from Centrafuse Inc. to provide a virtual port. Unfortunately it is not free, but not very expensive, and can misbehave at times but it works and I know of no other alternative.

7. dstrauss

Oleophobic Coating For Screen:

The screen is a fingerprint magnet, like the original iPhones and iPads before they started putting that oleophobic coating on later models. Apparently you can apply this coating yourself for the adventurous (but finding the actual coating material looks tough):

How to apply anti-fingerprint oleophobic coating - iFixit

Last edited: Mar 2, 2014
  8. dstrauss

Tweeeeeeet...fifteen yard penalty for commenting in the Tips & Tricks thread. Remember folks, we really need to keep this one on track - tips and tricks only. Conversations and comments go in the general threads.

9. agraham

agraham Pen Pal - Newbie

In the absence of an HDMI port USB connected DisplayLink based displays and devices work fine on the AVN8. However you need the recently released DisplayLink driver 7.5M1 from DisplayLink: Windows Software, not the earlier one that Windows Update will offer. Earlier versions don't play well with Connected Standby and will drain your battery by 30% overnight. The issue seems fixed with 7.5M1 and I lose only 3% or so overnight.

As the AVN8 can only supply a limited amount of power you may need to use a powered hub as a buffer. By doing that I have had my AVN8 driving three external displays simultaneously.

10. dstrauss

agraham's post reminded me of the Plugable powered dock solution with the Dell Venue 8 Pro - should work here as well:

Dell Venue 8 Pro with Plugable Products | Plugable

Now the only limitation is no powering over the OTG cable (although the end of this article references that Plugable is working on that too!)