Asus VivoTab Note 8 - Reviews

Discussion in 'Asus' started by PECgem, Jan 7, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mesosphere

Mesosphere Geek. Senior Member

From the sounds of it they are not using it lightly. Installing software isn't light usage. Also battery life is generally not good the first few days or so while indexing/updates and such is going on in the background.

2. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

I disabled GNSS last night before putting it to sleep because I figured I'll never/rarely ever use it anyway. Still dropped from 98%-45%

Doing pretty good in daylight - charged to 100% and it has gone from there to 81% in four hours with email, light OneNote session in a one hour meeting, some installations (software and a few updates).

The screen is a FINGERPRINT MAGNET - worst I've seen since iPad 1. Would a screen protector help with that? I've never used a screen protector with a Wacom table before - do they hamper the writing experience?

Last edited: Feb 12, 2014
  3. spinedoc77

spinedoc77 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

There has to be an issue with Windows itself, or Intel or something common. Almost every single windows tablet I've owned, and I've owned most of them, had some form of issue with power consumption. Even my current TPT2 will randomly suck up battery and be down to 0% at the end of the day just sitting in my laptop bag.

4. DrDoug

DrDoug Pen Pal - Newbie

Has anyone tried the Dell cases with the Asus?

Update:
    Couldn't wait. :) The case for my Samsung Note 8 almost works as far as size is concerned. The Dell Venue Pro case is slightly larger, so.... It was only $12. I'll post on Saturday to let everyone know how it worked.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2014
  5. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Well, I certainly had it with the SPro, SPro 2, and now the Asus, but it seems to be "resting" better in the daylight - will keep an eye on it. Never had the random rundown on the TPT2 except once when the cover I was using came open in my bag just enough to not let it go back into sleep - then it got hot and drained rapidly - maybe my problems are user error - nah, can't be :rolleyes:

6. a042349

a042349 Pen Pal - Newbie

Not only is the screen a fingerprint magnet, but it really holds onto them too. The Dell got prints, but they wiped off reasonably easily, my Miix 2 I think has the same coating as iProducts cause the prints wipe off super easily, but the Asus man they stay on there through multiple dry wipes. The screen seems to have an almost "rough" texture which I imagine is to help with writing.

So hard to decide among all these - they all do one or two things wrong compared to the others.

(oh woe is us lol)

7. Avenger

Avenger Scribbler - Standard Member

The roughness seems uneven too. As you write, you sense it more in various places. Not sure if it depends on the angle of the stylus at the time. You definitely need a stylus with a plastic tip. As someone stated before the Bamboo Stylus Feel with the felt(soft) tip doesn't work well. You need to replace it with the included hard tip.

As for battery drain, it seems much less during the day today. The OS might have been indexing and such last night after the first use as someone else had mentioned.

8. mss_53

mss_53 Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi Guys,
    I greatly appreciate it if anyone who had seen the screen of DV8P, gives their idea about the display of Asus vivotab 8, although they have same pixel densities but dell display is very good, I wonder if asus display is good enough,
    thanks

9. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Well....Today I got to stop by the Microsoft Store in the Bridgewater Mall in NJ. They didn't have the Asus Vivo Note 8 on Display at all. I was initially both relieved and upset because I really wanted it, but I also really wanted to wait for the 64GB Version.

Then I asked one of the store clerks about it.....and he went into the back room to double check. Almost subconsciously my hand went right for my wallet....and then the clerk walked out with the Box in hand, and then I walked out the store still unsure wither or not I was happy or sad they had it, but now I had a nice charge to my credit card.

Despite the website saying $329....it does scan at the actual Microsoft Stores as $299 (almost $320 with tax)

Since I got this mainly for Art uses....I'll most likely make a separate thread for Art Use since this thread is nearing 100 pages.

My First Impressions......I wouldn't say it looks cheap...but very plain. Alot like the very first Kindle Fire.

Its thicker then I thought it would be. Thicker then the Thinkpad Tablet 2, but pretty much the same thickness as the Samsung Series 7 Slate.

The Screen is ok....definitely a yellow/red tint to it...and its significantly dimmer then the Thinkpad Tablet 2. I would say its probably somewhere in the 200-250 nit range.

The hovering accuracy with the pen is ok near the edges on mine.....no worse then any other tablet PC I had....but clicking is a different story. Near the edges of the screen....I find that it does occasionally miss clicks...and sometimes I have to double/triple click...or use alot of pressure to get the click to register. But this is more so with the outer radius of the screen....the middle is fine. However I've never encountered this problem on any of my other tablet PCs....not sure what to make of it yet.

The screen coating is also annoying, but I've had other screens with a similar feel...once I wear it in it should feel more normal.

As much as I debated the 8inch size....touch typing works very well with the 8-inch size in either orientation.

The power button to make it go to sleep....works....ish.....the buttons are kind of hard to press and sometimes it won't turn back on and I have to hold it down which pretty much forces a re-start. I was kind of expecting this since I had similar issues with the TPT2, but it does work worse on the Asus Note 8. Still can't hold a candle to IOS/Android in that regard.

Performance seems great.......and installing Photoshop CS5, Bay trails graphics are good enough to enable openGL so Scrubby zoom works......but sadly.....the Feel it Driver is a disaster with the X/Y Axis problem....I even tried older drivers I had, and uninstalled and reinstalled them with the screen locked in all 4 orientations....and still no luck. I used to have similar x/y axis problems with the Asus Ep121....but where that wintab mold was cracked, this one is just damn broke. But even with the x/y axis inverted I tried drawing....invertedly...and it was hard to tell, but the pressure seemed to work great and lag free.

Also the Screen Calibration utility that comes with the Feel it driver doesn't work. It will open...but the dots never register the pen and you can't calibrate it...not that it would matter since its because of the Wintab use.

10. lovelaptops

lovelaptops My friends call me Jeff Senior Member

I used to use one on my Fujitsu T730 and it didn't affect inking or touch control at all. Thing is, the only screen protectors that don't attract fingerprints themselves are matte finish ones, and those tend to take away all the sharpness and crispness of the screen in a way that I found detracted as much or more than the fingerprints. I find I am only bothered by fingerprints on my slates - Galaxy Note 8, Nexus 7 - when they are off/dark. Is this so band that it affects the quality of the image? I would think cranking up the brightness would help with that ( but surely you would think of that!). I'm a compulsive screen cleaner and I swear by these "Magic Fiber" cloths.

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.