Asus VivoTab Note 8 - Reviews

Discussion in 'Asus' started by PECgem, Jan 7, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nyb72

nyb72 Scribbler - Standard Member

Just got mine.

First impressions, seems a bit thicker than the Dell. The sides are a little weird and plasticky, with a beveled edge that screams cheap cellphone. Not sure I'm a big fan of the giant ASUS logo on the bottom in portrait mode. I do like how the usb port winds up on the side in landscape mode, since I'm more apt to be in landscape if I attach a mouse or keyboard via OTG.

First thing I immediately tried was inking... and its so good to be back with Wacom. No lag, no tails, no vectors, everything is smooth and looks like calligraphy. A side by side ink comparison with the Dell, and it's like night and day. My handwriting looks like my handwriting again without any hesitation or adjustment on my part.

The screen out of the box seems much more draggy or rough compared to other devices I've owned. In fact, I find that my felt nib Wacom stylus has way too much drag to write comfortably. The plastic nib actually feels perfect.

I do get that slight distortion on the edge furthest away from the ASUS logo, and its still there when I try 3 different Wacom pens. But I mostly OneNote in portrait, so its a non issue for me. The rest of the writing surface for inking seems fine so far.

2. Mesosphere

Mesosphere Geek. Senior Member

Speaking of longtimers, you are about to enter a select club of longtimers with 2k posts =P

3. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

:eek::eek::eek: - no wonder I dream of tablets....you know, kind of like the Silence of the Lambs...:eek:

Last edited: Feb 12, 2014
  4. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

So that's like 6000 smileys. Impressive indeed!

5. spinedoc77

spinedoc77 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

You mean you methodically kidnap tablets, eat them and save the plastic skins to assemble yourself a new set of skin?

dstrauss and ships10 like this.
  6. ships10

ships10 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Sounds like a significant gastrointestinal problem...lol...or bulimia nervosa?

7. nyb72

nyb72 Scribbler - Standard Member

This just keeps getting better... using an off-the-shelf OTG cable it can power a portable hard drive. Eraser on the Wacom pens work as expected. Already putting this thing to work.

Only concern now is battery life, down to 80% after an hour of usage (mostly setup, program installations, and playing with stylus on OneNote) and 3 hours of standby.

8. reg21

reg21 Pen Pal - Newbie

Great! Im waiting for the tutorial for how to USB charging and OTG, i though in modify a hub same as the dell venue but now i will wait for ur thread.

Thanks mate!

9. efjay

efjay Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

For battery life, have owners checked that GPS isn't enabled if not in use? It might have a smaller battery but the rate of rundown sounds like there's something running in the background taking CPU cycles.

Sent from my Lumia 1020 using Tapatalk

10. UWbadgers16

UWbadgers16 Pen Pal - Newbie

I have a Surface 2, and I'm unsure whether or not to sell it and buy the VN8 or not. The Surface has the build quality, and I have a fast desktop that I can remote into to use x86 applications, but the VN8 has the Wacom digitizer. It would be nice to digitize all of my lecture notes for school and teaching work. What do you think?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.