Asus VivoTab Note 8 - Reviews

Discussion in 'Asus' started by PECgem, Jan 7, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sher The Love

Sher The Love Scribbler - Standard Member

Mission Viejo, CA Microsoft store has them. They have two on display, but have magnets on the back to attach to the display stand. This seemed to create pen dead spots in the center of both screens. Tracking was also pretty terrible in other parts. I dont know if its because of the magnet, bad calibration, or other issues. Needed an admin password to calibrate.

I did notice the slightly rough textures in areas of the screen as some have mentioned. I initially just thought it was dirty. I also thought the screen was dim and gritty. I thought the Venue 8 pro next to it looked noticeably better.

I was considering getting it, hoping updates and calibration would fix the pen tracking issues, but 8 inches is too small for me to use at school as a main note taker.

For those who 8" is good for your needs, I hope you enjoy it. Now, its time to wait for a wacom tablet in the 10.5-12.5 range. Preferably bay trail to keep the price down.

Sent from my XT1058 using Tapatalk 4

2. twitfri

twitfri Scribbler - Standard Member

Received my AVTN 8 yesterday from Microsoft store and here are my first impressions. If I just think about finally having a moleskin replacement, its like a dream come true. There are some issues with inking very close to the boundaries but its quite manageable and not a deal breaker at all. Asus did so many things right with this device, the most important being moving the Windows/Home button to the side, so you don't accidentally press them while writing.
    This has been a huge misstep in my mind for every other note taking device so far, including Surface Pro, Thinkpad Tablet 2, and the Samsung galaxy Note series. So, for inking its an absolute winner of a device and I love it.

Also, the screen is plenty bright and has minimal reflections when turned on and goes to really low level of brightness which is perfect for reading in bed.
    The feel of the device is perfect and its light enough for one-handed use (its lighter than the Dell Venue 8 Pro), plus the back doesn't show any finger prints which is a huge plus.

Now for the cons. This device looks cheap, and you can absolutely tell that corners were cut in the chassis department to keep the cost low. Screen is barely ok, and will hurt your eyes, if like me, you go from looking at the screen of Galaxy Note 3 (which to me is the best screen on a mobile device right now) or even Surface Pro 2 to this. Be prepared for pixelated, fuzzy text. Battery capacity is low, and I don't think it will last even as long as my Surface Pro 2, but that's only based on my one day experience. Its strange then as to why its so portly. Speakers are ok, they are stereo, but not as loud as the galaxy note 3 is with one speaker.

Summary: Device IS cheap, and looks the part, but is brilliant for taking notes.

3. Coyote

Coyote Pen Pal - Newbie

I don't believe the Galaxy Note supports true Digital Ink. Not simply a bitmap but vector based. MS technology at least in OneNote allows directly searching your handwriting, which is a great capability for those not interested in having our handwriting and scribbles converted to text.

4. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

I don't think it is "cheap" as much as it is just "generic." It looks like a lot of low end 7"-8" tablets. The design aesthetic is rectangular black box with a screen. The seam around the edge is cheesy (where front and back meet - most modern tablets seem to have the screen pressed directly into the casing with no seam around the perimeter). In effect, the Asus is the Chevy in the family, if you consider the Lenovo 8" to be the Lexus and iPad Mini Retina the BMW.

I'll be doing a real "first impressions" post in a coupe of days - I want to soak it in, but I wanted to make a couple of quick comments:

1. The inking experience is as good as my ThinkPad Tablet 2 and Surface Pro - the edge tracking may be a stylus issue because my spare S-Pen and Fujitsu full size pens go very close to the edge, with only a slight waiver between the front camera and lower left corner (landscape mode), while the Asus stylus skips a bit in that same area within 1cm of the edge of the screen.

2. Strange battery drain overnight. Put to sleep with the power button, at 98%, but down to 45% 8 hours later.

3. Screen is dimmer and less vibrant than the DVP8, but very good overall. If you scale more than 125% on the desktop, however, some dialog boxes will fall outside of the taskbar at the bottom with no way to select action buttons.

Only 14 hours into ownership (including sleep) but longtimers around here will recognize this must be a pretty good device because I haven't already raised the specter of an RMA...:eek: :p :thumbsup:

Last edited: Feb 12, 2014
    mpattman likes this.
  5. Stavros

Stavros Pen Pal - Newbie

Wow, lots of pages to catch up on.
    I've just calibrated my screen and it looks a lot better now, less yellow.
    I've been researching the Miracast but can't really find a use for it. It's quite expensive to buy here, as well, so I'm holding off for now.

6. Stavros

Stavros Pen Pal - Newbie

Qoute "The reason I ask is that my missus is writing a book and prefers writing with a pen and paper. She will then type it out on her laptop after a couple of chapters or so. It seems to me she could cut out a lot of time if she could write with a stylus and then convert to text on the fly with this tablet (or something similar like the elusive TPT3)."

Here's what I do when writing stories: I use Windows Journal. You can ink away as much as you like then if you want to you can convert the ink to text (only 1 page at a time, though). The advantage of Journal is that the translation comes up in a box with the original ink by the side of the translation plus you can move the box to see the original inking. There's nothing comparable on Android which is why my Galaxy Note 8 now sits forlorn and sad on my desk.

I've just received the Wacom Bamboo stylus and the soft tip is far better than the hard plastic ones. The super slippery screen doesn't bother me now.

7. Nayasamson

Nayasamson Pen Pal - Newbie

Isn't that kind of like going backwards? Isn't the bamboo stylus tip similar to the rubbery cheap capacitive stylus's? At least that's what they look like on their site...or I'm missing something here...

8. Mesosphere

Mesosphere Geek. Senior Member

The stylus tip has nothing to do with it's detection for the Wacom system. So the tip simply affects the feel of how it slides across the glass, unlike a capacitive pen where the tip effects precision. Some prefer more resistance that the rubber/felt tip provides. Personally I like the hard plastic nubs, but I think I'm in the minority on that.

9. Avenger

Avenger Scribbler - Standard Member

I had the battery drain too in the same manner. I haven't done a windows update yet so maybe I'll try that. I hope we can resolve it.

The only other thing that annoys me slightly is the screen consistency, which like others have said feels a bit rough as you are writing. I may try the surface pro pen as has been suggested or screen protector.

10. surfaceproartist

surfaceproartist Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Blame Wacom's branding. You're thinking of the capacitive stylus they make for the iPad. The Bamboo Feel is a premium pen made for tablet pc's with Wacom digitizers. Wacom's Bamboo Stylus lets you 'feel' the Surface Pro — Surface Pro Artist

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.