Asus VivoTab Note 8 - Reviews

Discussion in 'Asus' started by PECgem, Jan 7, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. llatnik

llatnik Pen Pal - Newbie

appears on phone results for me too, linked my pc from my phone because derp amazon.

now on wishlist, cheers

2. Avenger

Avenger Scribbler - Standard Member

Quote: (Here's my first inking effort on the Asus Vivotab Note 8 with Clip Studio Paint. I'm using a Surface Pro pen because I find its nib offers the most consistent results on the tablet screen's coating..)

Interesting comment regarding the surface pro pen. The surface of the tablet seems a little different from other tablets. The feel of the included pen against it is a bit rough and inconsistent. I may try the surface pro pen if the feel is better. Otherwise I guess I could try a screen protector when they come on the market.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2014
  3. Mesosphere

Mesosphere Geek. Senior Member

The adapter does work with type cover 1. That is the one I use it on.

4. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

If your aim is to digitize handwriting, a cheaper and more reliable method is to use a Galaxy Note from Samsung. You should be able to get an older model for very little money. The standard keyboard takes handwriting with the stylus and turns it into digital text, if you use it with one of the Office compatible suites, Samsung bundles Polaris Office, then you will have a Word compatible file. There are three available form factors available, the phone in landscape mode is very comfortable and you can write anywhere with that. You might want to invest in a more pen like stylus from Wacom or Samsung.

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk 4

5. surfaceproartist

surfaceproartist Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Same here. There are various areas on the display that feel gritty under the standard stylus; much less so with other pens.

6. Mesosphere

Mesosphere Geek. Senior Member

Handwritting recognition is build into the tablet input panel. So you can enter text into any field or program that way just like you would with the touch keyboard. The handwritting recognition works well a lot of the time. I find it frustrating to correct mistakes with though. It is a lot like voice regognition in that it translates the words not the letters. So like with voice recognition when you try to input a word that is somewhat unusual, but sounds a lot like a common word it will insist on using the common word no matter how many times you repeat it. Alternatively there is an input mode where it converts letter by letter, but then the recognition is generally less reliable (except in the case I mentioned).

There is also the option in programs like onenote to select a section of handwriting and convert it to text. I don't think there is an option within onenote for it to convert to text as you write it though.

If your wifes usual method is writing then typing. I think even with the quirks though it may save her time. Probably the best way is entering it in one note then converting it to text. Then go back and fix the mistakes. This might be faster than writing and then typing the whole thing in. A good thing about the low price point is it is less risky to take a chance on it and see if it works for you.

7. Bibble

Bibble Pen Pal - Newbie

Mine just arrived but I don't seem to have the recovery micro SD? What brand should the card be anyone else who has one?

8. spinedoc77

spinedoc77 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

No I understand that, I think we are just talking about 2 different things. My concern isn't a 2nd /external display, it's the way the UI elements are scaled on the tablet screen itself.

9. mpattman

mpattman Pen Pal - Newbie

Is yours a 32GB or 64GB version? Only the 32GB versions come with the recovery on a microSD card.

Please do, that sounds interesting.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2014
  10. surfaceproartist

surfaceproartist Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

On my 32GB, the microSD is Asus branded. It shows up as D:\ in the file explorer.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.